“Great food, beautiful building but beware of the cloakroom!”
Review of Kvarnen

Kvarnen
Reserve with
Kvarnen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 3,046 Restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: Bar, European, Pub, Swedish, Scandinavian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: SoFo & Medborgarplatsen
London
“Great food, beautiful building but beware of the cloakroom!”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is one of my favourite places to eat when in Stockholm. It serves great classic Swedish dishes to a reasonable price - I know Sweden is expensive, but this place is reasonable, but still not cheap. The food I have been served on several different occassions has always been delicious, perfectly cooked and prepared!

The service from the reastaurant staff is usually good, but they could be better - I'm writing this review in the hope that they will see it and take note.
The only bad thing about this place is the cloakroom and it is so bad that its embarassing to be Swedish actually! When you arrive they ask/offer you to hang your jacket up, it's a restaurant so of course you don't expect to pay and they don't tell you that they will charge you for it until you leave. On my last visit with my family in law they charged us on the way out. The terribly rude door man said to me that he thought I knew this since I was Swedish and it's the law to hang your coat up. There is no law, I wish I had asked him to quote me the law in that case. And further more, this summer I had suggested the place to couple of friends, they went here straight from the airport after they landed and they got stung badly from the cloakroom as they charged them for their suitcases and jackets, they had to pay around £8 for the cloakroom, something unheard of even in the posh hoods around London! If it's a club, fair enough but when you already spend a lot of money in a restaurant you should never be asked to pay for hanging your coat in.

So if you want to eat great food, go here, but insist in taking your jacket or coat with you in to the restaurant. And if the doorman insists, ask him to quote you the law, I bet you he can't as there isn't one.

• Visited December 2011

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Milano, Italia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great typical swedish resto”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We read bout it in our guide as a typical swedish restaurant and... indeed it was!

Great Herrings entries (SOS plate, really a must), really hand-made meatballs and good porc meat... funny atmosphere, they also have a "outdoor bistro" in the big plaza in the nearbies...
we liked it so much we went there two nights in a row!

• Visited August 2012
Oz
“A trip in Swedish gastronomie”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Went there for late breakfast/early lunch and had the typic Swedish meatballs with brown sauce and lingonberry jam. The dish was tasty, well prepared and served and the portion was generous. Delicious food indeed. I also had a raspberry tarte as a dessert and it was also extremely good.
The service was friendly, maybe a little too slow, but it was a Sunday morning, I had no hurry at all and I dont want to complain about it, as it didn't disturb me.
I would highly recommend going there if you want to try the typical Swedish cuisine in a nice atmosphere, cozy and relaxing (the interior is made of wood, in that typical Northern style).
A great place to enjoy you meal!

toulouse
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“please don't”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

8:00 pm and i look through the windows of the restautant.It's empty with only 4 people eating inside.So my wife and i enter the cloak room to get a table and then this middle east guy come straight in front of us asking if we made a reservation and looking at the way we were dressed.I've got enough money to eat in restaurants much more expensives than this one but when i travel i dress casual.Of course we didn't book,it was tuesday.So this guy replied with a smile on his face "it's fully booked until 10 pm".
It may be a place with a good food but i will never give my money to people like these.I should have been warned at the entrance,just at the bottom of the menu they put a note saying :
The direction reserve the right to check and search your bag. Go away,there are a lot of good places to eat in stockholm with very friendly staff (try alexa) not here !

Darmstadt, Germany
“Good place for typical Swedish cuisine”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Wanted to have a typical Swedish dinner and had herring as starter and reindeer as main course plus local bear. Everything tasted good and seemed to be good quality. Beer is (as usual in Sweden) quite expensive, price for the dinner itself a bit too high for such a place (beerhall with wooden interior).

1 Thank Patrice_T_GER