“Cool, Calm, Collected Hotel”
Review of Nobis Hotel

Nobis Hotel
Ranked #18 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We chose this hotel based on its location and website. The design and feel of the hotel didn't disappoint. It is tasteful and understated.

Particular plus points:
-The aesthetics & finish in the room
-The staff - professional and unobtrusive
-Great location

Negatives:
-The room was small - which was fine, but the layout was awkward, the desk chair is too heavy to be in such a cumbersome position. Also, there was no way of using hair styling appliances while looking in the mirror - a pet hate of mine.
-The shower enclosure looks great but didn't work - water all over the bathroom floor.
-The lounge "please wait to be seated" sign doesn't scream relax and unwind to me.

I have to comment on our meal in the restaurant. My partner's meal was excellent. My main course was pollack and the fillet was frozen in the middle. This was well handled by our waiter, who immediately apologised and organised a replacement. A small pasta dish was offered while I waited for my replacement which was appreciated. The replacement dish was cooked through, but was completely over-seasoned and was too salty to eat. It could not have been my palette, as the first dish, while uncooked was nicely seasoned. The meal was removed from our bill, which was fair enough, but I felt really disappointed with the experience and I was still quite hungry so I had the cheeseboard, which was disappointing, and it came with no crackers or bread. I wish we hadn't bothered to dine in the restaurant. The Prosecco was excellent though!

In spite of the bad meal, my overall impression of the hotel is very good, and I would return and recommend it. I would give the restaurant a swerve though.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MissPhirefly
There are newer reviews for Nobis Hotel

Reviewed February 5, 2012

My arrival was a real disappointment. There is a guy standing next to the check in counter and he only looks angry and snobby. Not a smile and "Welcome to Nobis".. no no, just some empty staring look. What his function was, no idea.

The girl who checked me in only asked for my name and no other comment. Still no "welcome" or "how is your day so far" or any other appropriate and polite welcome-phrase you would expect at such a hotel like this one. I did get my room before 12pm, early check-in, which was a bonus. Thanks for that.

The hotel is well designed with lots of nice and modern features in the rooms. Well designed bathrooms with a convenient shower and luxurious amenities - shower gel, moisturizer and shampoo. Never really got my head around all the different lamps in the room. Felt more like a lamp-store than hotel room. But I guess that was the design.

There were dust on almost everything in the room upon arrival. Not sure if they had cleaned properly. Mini-bar was very over-prized - and I mean VERY.

Breakfast was outstanding, one of the bet ones I have ever experienced. Here the staff were friendly and very helpful - I even got a "good morning". Thanks for that. A first at Nobis.
The buffet had almost everything, beside lactose free yoghurt, which must be a standard in Scandinavian countries.

If I would stay here again? Yes I would. But I think the staff have to work on their smiles and welcome phrases before I visit Nobis again. I get the feeling that Swedish people working in hospitality sometimes try to hard to be ice-cold in their approach when working at a "cool-city-top awarded-hotel", when they could just be warm, friendly and more helpful, like swedes normally are.

Room Tip: 643 - facing the park next door.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
O4000G, Manager at Nobis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Hi Stefan,

thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay. I am sorry to read you felt unwelcome upon checking in at hotel, since a warm greeting and friendly phrase certainly is part of our repertoire. As to the man standing next to the reception looking snobby, I think you might be referring to a driver waiting for a customer, and of course he should be more attentive and friendly, we'll take this up with the limousine company.
We have also inquired with housekeeping with regards to the dust issues in your room, and my apologies if you felt the rooms wasn't properly dusted. Let me know when you're planing on coming back, and It would be our pleasure to arrange for an upgrade.
Glad to hear you liked the breakfast ! We do in fact have lactose free yogurt, as well as gluten-free items, just mention it to my colleagues, as these sensible items items are not stored on the buffet for allergy protection reasons.
Allow me to mention a slight correction to your room tip: the rooms you stayed in was in fact 469. I hope to see you again here very soon and all the best from Stockholm,

Best Regards,
Oliver
Nobis Hotel

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Although we were recommended the Stallmästargården by Swedish friends they acknowledged that the location may be a bit remote for a 3 day visit to Stockholm. The new Nobis Hotel, run by the same group but in the city centre overlooking Normalmstorg and a short walk from the harbour, Gamla Stan, Djurgarden and other attractions seemed an ideal alternative.

This was confirmed when we were contacted by the concierge two weeks before our visit, asking if there were any arrangements he could make for us. Although sometimes sceptical of such offers, assuming cynically that they might have a cousin with a taxi or friend with a kebab stall, we sought his advice and he arranged bookings for us a some fantastic restaurants (eg Lux, F12) we would either not have known about or not been able to get in without his help.

The hotel itself was equally fabulous, a little funky with very comfortable stylish rooms. Our was billed as a 1room junior suite which meant it was a little larger than average. Normally a hotel which provides 150 page book describing all the design aspects of the room furniture and furnishing might be considered a touch self indulgent but in this instance it was fascinating to read about the inspiration for the light fittings or the origin of the wardrobe doors. We had a large sunny room overlooking the square, with large bed, comfortable seating area, plenty of hanging space and large well equipped bathroom (although as other have noted lacking in shelf space). Décor was tasteful modern, greys and aubergines; our only complaint was the TV and sound system was too sophisticated to plug in our ipad/iphone. (they said they didn't have the appropriate cables and each room had a different system, although they did offer the loan of an ipad)

Created from two adjoining heritage buildings, the public areas were v attractive, with interesting furniture and decor items, particularly the large central lobby with its groups of sofas, coffee tables, model ships and aeroplanes. The light fittings particularly are a source of interest. We didn't use the small but stylish Gold bar but enjoyed coffee in the adjacent cafe.

Breakfast which was included in the room rate was one of the best we have encountered in many years travelling, in a stylish basement level restaurant, and included many local products, smoked meats, all sorts of berries, marmalades and jams and excellent coffee.

In summary an excellent hotel, with enthusiastic helpful staff, comfortable contemporary stylish rooms, interesting public areas and a great central location within easy reach of most of Stockholm’s attractions. Don’t forget to ask Christian the concierge for his restaurant recommendations.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Intrepidtoo
Reviewed February 2, 2012

The hotel is beautiful and the staff is very nice. The only thing I would have liked is some sort of counter space by the bathroom sink and some shelving in the shower. I had to bring a chair into the bathroom to keep my toiletries on.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The hotel does not qualify for 5* by any stretch. Upon arrival at 9 there are very few dining options available, the rooms are ok but not practical, upon arrival the heating in the room was off thus i froze the first night, and while the bathroom looks nice, there is no space to put even a small beauty set and water keeps splashing all over. Overall an ok hotel, but dont expect a luxury one.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I recommend Nobis Hotel Stockholm as the best place to stay. Its in a very convenient location with excellent facilities and faultless staff. We had particular requests that were dealt with immediately and courteously. I can only praise all aspects of this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2012

My first time here, just for one night on a business trip. Good central location, whether for shops, business or for catching a tour boat. Very trendy (in truth, a bit too trendy for my needs, but that's fine), with the friendliest staff I have met for a while. The 2 guys on reception were very helpful at check-in, while the staff in the ground floor bistro struck the right balance between relaxed and attentive. Also, while the menu in the bistro is not that extensive, the food was very nice.

I can't comment on price - I was on a company rate and, anyway, everything in Stockholm seemed expensive to me.

The only negative was the rooms. Very neat, clean, new, etc, but the room I was given was the smallest I have seen in recent memory. I'm not sure of the official category of room my company had booked for me, but it was stunningly small (room 566). Even in cities that are famous for space being at a premium (NY, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc), I've had much bigger rooms than this. In the attached picture, you're looking at the entire room, viewed from the threshold. When I asked if all rooms were this size, I didn't get a clear answer, but without fuss I was immediately moved to another room, which was much bigger and very nice indeed (room 556). Unfortunately, this room was right next to the lift - the whole room shook every time the lift stopped on our floor - but if you don't mind that, it's very nice. If you do mind that, room 556 is a good reference point for a nicely sized, nicely appointed room.

From a business perspective, all the necessary facilities, including free wifi, with decent speeds.

All in all, a great place to stay, especially if you like to be trendy. Great staff too.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business