“OK-ish hotel with patchy service”
Review of Connect Hotel City

Connect Hotel City
Ranked #63 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel indeed offers an affordable accommodation in an otherwise quite pricey Stockholm hotel market. And its location is not bad either - on Kungsholmen, 10 min walk from Fridhemsplan T-bana station. Rooms are of a very different size and you can never be sure which one you will get, as classification at www.booking.com does not correspond to the hotel's own specification. If you're lucky, the service you'll get will be good and timely. That was not our case when we checked-in during our first stay, when the receptionist was trying to take a payment from previous guests for good 15 min, as she didn't know how to operate chip-less credit cards, and then messed up rooms allocation for our extended family. We've been given 2 standard sized double rooms and then 1 small without a window which we did not book. After a few minutes of clarifications and discussions, we were given a large double room, but that incident has spoilt the impression

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Connect Hotel City

Reviewed August 14, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 29, 2013

It's Stockholm and everything is extremely expensive. Even in winter when I stayed (this is a tardy review), the room was over US$100 per night which was among the lowest rates I could find in the city. Room was extremely small as others have mentioned. I stayed in a medium room and could not imagine having two people in it, even a couple would be tight on space. I am definitely very glad though I paid extra to have a window in my room. Even with the limited winter Stockholm daylight hours, it would have been depressing to sleep in a box. I suppose if you can do an inside cabin on a cruise ship you'd be fine with it, but that's not for me. Despite it's size, room was very clean and modern. Staff was nice. I also liked the location although the walk from the subway station was tiring with luggage and unplowed Stockholm sidewalks (I couldn't get over that!) But it's a convenient neighborhood, near a large shopping area. I felt more like a local staying there as compared to someplace a bit more downtown. Breakfast in the hotel was a highlight. Plenty to eat and included in the rate. Internet was not however and was very expensive. If I were traveling alone, I would definitely stay here again. As an aside, I recommend taking the bus instead of the subway all the time. The bus stops closer to the hotel and you can see the city while onboard. It doesn't take much longer when you consider the time needed to descend to the train platform, and the view is so much more pleasant. The system isn't hard to figure out either.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window! It's worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JKNY329_10
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Expensive compared to the quality. Very small rooms. We were first downgraded to a tiny, tiny room without a window because they had no medium rooms left with window. We got really shocked, I have never seen such a hotel room in my life, like a broom closet. So after complaining, they gave us at last a "large" room with window. Not quite big though, so don´t order any room smaller than "large"! If you should sleep here at all.... The beds were narrow, and kept sliding away from each other all the time. The breakfast was OK, but not very special. If it is possible to find other hotels, don´t choose this one!

1  Thank BergenTraveler2008
Reviewed July 3, 2013

If you're looking for amenities, look somewhere else. There were no toiletries, no phone, no tea or coffee making utensils, no closet, no free wi-fi and there is limited space. However, the room was spotless and the beds were reasonably comfortable. There was no air-conditioning and the room did get stuffy halfway through the night, but the windows were able to be opened. The bathroom was clean but awkward, with the shower doors not extending fully to the floor so the whole bathroom floor got flooded while the shower was running and there were no extra towels or a mat to mop all the water up. Breakfast was a cold buffet and local in flavor (meats, cheeses, caviar). As for location, while the hotel is not in the city center, it is a five minute walk to a Tunnelbana station which will take you there. If you are just looking for a clean, reasonably priced room to sleep in for a night or two, this place is excellent. If you're looking for romance or luxury, it's best to look somewhere else.

Room Tip: Room 207 was reasonably quiet.
1  Thank ad_vacay
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a great hotel in a reasonably good location.

From Arlanda airport, I took the bus and got off at St Eriksplan. It was an easy and flat 10-15 minute walk to the hotel.

The hotel is new. Modern and clean with elements of Swedish design.

Breakfast is continental but there are boiled eggs. Would rate this 7-8/10. Importantly, there is a coffee machine.

The rooms are designed for sleeping - just a bed, a desk and a small rack to hang your clothes. Nothing more, nothing less. This room is best suited for people who just want a base and not a hotel experience. They have windows which you can actually open! Refreshing!!!!

For people who like to spend a little more time in the hotel, there are lounges in the bar area. This seemed comfortable and rarely used despite the area being a really nice space.

Free internet on the computer in the lounge area.

Downsides: thin walls. Lucky for me I was next to the sauna, so only had one neighbour. I heard a mobile vibrating in the room next door (beds must be back to back!!!). Also Wifi in the rooms needs to be paid for.

The T-bahn (Fridhemsplan) is a 5-10 minute walk away. At the tube station there is a big supermarket whilst several convenience stores are closer.

The staff were great for ideas outside the usual tourist route. This was a big plus for me!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank cw774
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We (couple) stayed at this place (I would not call it a hotel, just a hostel) for 3 nights. It was difficult to find a hotel room, because Stockholm seemed to be fully booked during our stay (June 16-19). The ratings at booking, tripadvisor,... were ok. When we arrived, it was just ridiculous, to call our room a room. There was a small table in the corner with one chair, a bunk bed behind a stack, and some hooks on the wall for hanging up clothes. Remaining space to turn around and for 2 big suitcases: maybe 2 square metres. There is a sliding door to the toilet/shower. The shower has no real curtain or detachment, just a half (?!), when you take a shower, you risk to float the whole bathroom and maybe your room as well. There is no extra towel for your feets. I had to use two small towels to wipe up the water after showering, the next day I wasn't sure, if the housekeeping had changed these towels or I was using them for my face. On these bunk beds (very small in width and I had to squeeze in because of the stack in front of the bed) there is no lath floor. You sleep on a metal plate, on a very thin mattress. The first night, I heard every turn of my boyfriend above me. The next night he slept on his mattress on the floor. The third and list night, we slept both on the floor.There was no remaining space, but it was far better than sleeping on metal, like in jail. But, best thing about our room: No window! No daylight, no fresh air. There is also no free wi-fi. Sorry, we both stayed in a lot of different accommodations in many countries, but these was the worst, we have ever experienced. After 13 hours of walking and sightseeing every day, I just wanted to sleep and recover. Every morning I got up frustrated, angry and just wanted to hit someone in his/her face. I couldn't sleep well and had a terrible pain in the back. The breakfast was ok, nothing special. On the third day it got boring. Only one coffee machine, no scrambled eggs. The connection to the city center is ok, the lounge and reception area is lovely furnished, choice of wine is superb, but expensive (swedish standard). Cheapest glass of wine (but generously filled): 75 SEK. Can't understand the good ratings, we felt like staying in a broom closet. That really spoiled our stay in Stockholm and wasn't romantic at all. Maybe it's the only room of this kind (room number 318), but I suggest you to book another hotel. There is no need for housekeeping in such a small room! Please use the money for free wi-fi or a better breakfast choice.
Although the staff is very friendly, I would not come back. Was the worst over night stay experience in my life. I am a little bit disappointed, that I have no picture of our room, because if you have a look on the photos from the hotel homepage or travellers, you would never imagine ending up sleeping i such a cabinet. I just remember a hotel information in our room, where they describe their rooms as cabin (for the ones travelling on a small budget), family and business. We were not travelling on a small budget, but the price performance ratio here is a joke.

Room Tip: Take the most expensive and biggest room (ask for one with a window) or choose another hotel.
3  Thank Elisabeth W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockholm
Kungsholmen
Elite Palace Hotel Stockholm
#40 of 154 in Stockholm
Hornstull & Langholmen
Hotell och Vandrarhem Zinkensdamm

Been to Connect Hotel City? Share your experiences!