“Great concept, must like meat”
Review of Bakfickan Djuret

Bakfickan Djuret
Reserve with
Bakfickan Djuret is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #172 of 3,275 Restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: Swedish, Scandinavian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gamla Stan & Riddarholmen
Description: Djuret is Leijontornets bistro. At Djuret we serve one animal at the time. We concider this to be the most sustainable way to work with the slaughtered animal both from an organic perspective but also out of respect to the animal in question. The whole menu consists of different meat paragraphs from the same animal. These are prepared with a lot of love on the grill, halster or in a pot and then served in a rustik way.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Bone marrow - check, sweetbreads - check, heart - umm...check. They don't kid around when they say the use the whole beast! That is the concept, each month one or 2 animals and you can eat the whole thing. Really interesting concept and well executed. The decor is a bit of a hunters lodge which fits. Don't worry about having to try anything too weird though, they have the adventurous stuff for those who want it and you can get the standard cuts as well. Everything is well executed by the kitchen staff so there is a choice for everyone.

1  Thank OSU03alum

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Lots of meat choices. Chef has a heavy hand with spices. Overpowers meat flavors. Could use a salad with meal.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Ate here solo when in Stockholm for work as I was intrigued by the "one beast at a time" approach. It worked for me. I had the tartare as a starter. Was very good, but realistically the only option for me as I am selective re the offal I eat and the other choices were mixed. So sweetbreads...yes. But raw heart? Just a bit far for me.

Main was a very good piece of liver, delivered pink. However, the caperberries in sauce were too much. Far too powerful a flavour for this dish, chef. Or indeed any other dish I can imagine. The bacon and ordinary capers were good, and enough flavour. Then a piece of hard aged Swedish cheese that had good flavour.

I had a good local draughr beer, and a couple of glasses of a perfectly respectable Burgundy. First glass from an oxidized bottle and immediately replaced. That was typical of the good although relaxed service. All in all a good experience.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The restaurant is situated the picturesque streets of Gamlastan, which is Stockholm's Old Town.

The restaurant is small enough to feel homely, and the service was attentive without being overbearing.

This month is chicken and duck month, and we skipped the starters and ordered duck main courses which were both delicious, both followed by "All the cheese". With a nice bottle of red wine, the bill came to SKK 1,360 including tip.

I will definitely return, possibly to sample the all-you-can-eat tasting menu, although it will need to be a special occasion, as that menus costs SKK 765 without drinks per head.

Thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank robracing
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Djuret is a concept restaurant which uses the whole animal when designing the dishes. They change animal almost every month, and this month it was milk cow and rabbit on the menu. Djuret offer a la carte, but also a Grand deluxe-menu, which is their tasting menu. That basically means that they bring you everything on the menu, until you say stop, i.e., the food keeps coming until you can't take it anymore.

This might seem tacky - and touristy - but believe me, restaurang Djuret is anything but touristy, this is a high end restaurant and recommended by Michelin.

We had the Grand deluxe-menu, and it started with deep fried pig skins and a - of course home-made - chili mayonnaise to dip the skins in. The skins were crisp, fresh and wonderful with the chili mayonnaise. The next course became my favourite: rooster liverpaté with pickled red onion which looked like rose petals, cornichons and a jam - the best liver paté I've ever had and I've eaten a few fois gras in Paris.

Among the eclectic, but yet homogene menu (the theme was after all cow and rabbit) there was marrow toast with roe and the fluffiest slice of brioche life can bring, a sausage made from the chuck, relaxing in a rich, beautifully balanced ox tail broth with generous shavings of truffles, a terrine of rabbit and ducks liver.... Everything beautifully plated and well balanced. Well, I had 10 courses before I had to put an end to it - my boyfriend manage to eat 11.... And all that food for only 795 SEK (give or take 100 USD or 100 Euro)! Spread out, each course was less than what a lunch costs in Stockholm City!

The reason why I think it deserves a 4 and not a 5 is the service. I dislike being served by different people during my dinner - this evening we had four different waiters! And one of them rubbed her nose (not very hygienic) while thinking about what wine to recommend us, and then, with the same fingers that just were at her nose, picked up my boyfriend's water glass at the brim - not the foot of the glass. She also felt stressed, like she thought we were annoying for asking for her recommendations. And - there were some small pieces of cartilage or bones in my rabbit paté, and when I pointed that out to another waiter, he didn't appologize, but answered "that's how you know it's home made!".

Well, apart from that, we were a very happy and a very full couple when we left the restaurant.

I highly recommend restaurang Djuret.