“Outstanding”

Ranked #573 of 3,342 Restaurants in Stockholm
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gamla Stan & Riddarholmen
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This restaurant combines both an excellent location on the square across from the Nobel Museum with outstanding food. I had the reindeer which was truly one of the best meals I had during a two week Scandinavian culinary trip. My wife had the seafood “stew” in a broth that required another order of bread to savoir every last drop. The location on the outside deck gave an excellent perch to view the activity on the square only a couple of blocks from the Royal Palace in the Gamla Stan area. The service was excellent and the price very good for the quality of the food. The interior was very nice as well so an excellent choice no matter the weather or season.

2  Thank jlhelbach

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I had a terrific dining experience here. The food was delectable! We savoured a Swedish tasters' plate. I had the Swedish meatballs (excellent) and my husband the reindeer. I had a rhubarb compote for dessert while he opted for a delicious chocolate dessert.

Our server was attentive and professional.

From our table outside, we had a wonderful view of Stortorget, the lively public square in Gamla Stan.

Stortorgskallaren made our last dinner in Stockholm a deliciously memorable one.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

If outstanding regional cuisine is important to you - with some fascinating history and charming setting as part of the experience - add this restaurant to your "must visit" list. My husband loved the Biff Ryverg - diced beef tenderloin, sautéed diced potatoes, fried onions & egg yolk. I was grateful to the gods for my choice: Fiskgryta pa dagens Fangst - a fish stew catch of the day, consisting of cod, salmon, blue mussels, hand-peeled shrimps in a creamy lobster sauce over potato and topped with dark green chives. Heaven! Not to be missed: Yogurt bread with hazelnuts, parmesan cheese, dark syrup, soy sauce, raisins, apricots and sea salt. We sat outside on the patio for a view of the lovely square - as the temperature dipped a retracted roof with heat lamps appeared overhead; blankets were available for guests' comfort.

1  Thank emmy70_11
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stumbled upon Stortorgskallaren one day in Old Town Stockholm, and returned that evening for the promise of lobster soup on the board out front. Although this restaurant is impossible to pronounce, it's easy to find and the food is worth a visit and the price. To find it, stand on the steps of the Nobel Museum with your back to the entrance. Put your arm up in front of you and point to 2 o'clock. That's it across the small square.

It's cozy and romantic inside, although in early September all the locals sat outside as the number of alfresco dining days is rapidly dwindling in Stockholm. We ate in. Service was attentive, fun and warm.

So was the food. The lobster soup turned out to be lobster bisque, of which I am a huge fan - and far too often a critic. But here, it was grade A. A handful of the local shrimp were in the bottom of the bowl instead of lobster, but they tasted great and you got a lot more protein that a couple measly morsels of lobster. I also had the chantarelles and gravy over toast, which was great as well. My better half had a fantastic fish stew, Sweden's version of cioppino or boulliabase.

If you want to try the local spirit - Acquavit - this is a good place to do so. They have four different brands on hand. I tried three, and had to agree with our waiter, Philip (ask for him), that the Hallands Flader was by far the best and most complex. But, be careful, you're basically doing shot of this stuff. The also had nice wines by the glass if you aren't man enough for the Acquavit.

We had a nice creme broule for dessert to finish.

Stortorgskallaren wasn't too pricey and with such great food, felt like a pretty good value. Four of Four stars.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had a very good meal here. The restaurant itself is located in a prime position in the old town on the square so easily accessible. The food is reasonably priced for Stockholm and the location. It is not complicated but very tasty and you will not go hungry. The service was very friendly and the atmosphere was pleasant. We ate inside the restaurant as it poured down that particular evening but the doors were open and it was nice to hear the rain fall while being inside eating. Simple pleasures but it all worked out perfectly well. It even stopped raining at the end of our meal so we could walk back to the hotel.