“Nice hotel but pricey”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice hotel but pricey”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to stay at this hotel for three nights using Marriott rewards so the price was right. I thought the check in was great, staff were well trained and lovely. They did, however, steer me in the wrong direction for sightseeing activities that ended up costing me a lot more in the end. The train station is nearby so access to the city centre is easy. The room is well appointed and comfy but obviously I can't comment on the value as I used rewards points. It took me forever to get a beer in the lounge As i waited for my room to be ready and i was one of three people there. the english speaking server was not too interested in pouring beer that day so i left for another pub nearby. The dining room is crazy expensive (service is impeccable though). Te menu is limited and couldn't see satisfying a child with it but I had a tasty "ikea style" meatball platter, Caesar salad and a beer and is was $77 cdn!! I would likely stay there again but it is doubtful I'd eat there with so many cheaper dining options within a 10 min walk.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank travelinjack64
HotelmanagerSTOCY, General Manager at Courtyard Stockholm Kungsholmen, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your review.
Please accept my apologize for the service in the bar. This is of course not acceptable and I will take action on this immediately.
In regards to the meatballs I hope you found those much better than the "IKEA-platter" you compare them with as we make them ourselves on a daily basis from the best swedish ground meat. The size of them might be the same but I hope the taste is much, much better.
As you say it might seem some pricey in the restaurant but I am afraid this has more to do with the strong Swedish currency and not the actual price. The restaurant is in level with or lower priced than similar restaurant in Stockholm.
Overall I hope you enjoyed the stay with us and hope to see you with us soon again.
Welcome
Martin Åkesson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with points, but we were still given an awesome room and treated wonderfully! Our room had windows on two sides, yet it was dark and quiet enough. The bathrooms only have showers, but that is all we use anyway and these were very modern and clean. They left us extra towels on request. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet, and everything was clean. Well trained in the Marriott way, the staff was INCREDIBLE and very helpful. The hotel is right across from a lovely park, and about a mile+ walk into town. But it was a very nice walk along the water. We walked it at least once a day and it wasn’t a big deal. What we were sad that we missed was had we gone the other way behind the hotel there were lots of really fun restaurants and places to shop. The breakfast was adequate; I wouldn’t pay $30 for it though so check before you go. The bar was fun, but drinks were crazy expensive ($22 for a glass of house wine). Check my reviews, I seldom give out fives but I think this hotel deserved it – much classier than a traditional Courtyard.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank surfinginflorida
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your nice review.
I am happy that you liked the hotel and appreciated the staff, which I must admit I am very very proud of also.
You are most welcome back also the next time on Marriott rewards points. You are of course our most loyal customers and should then also be treated as those, with upgrades.
Hope to see you with us soon again.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Hotel serves the business and the leisure traveler with a high standard of excellence.

Taxis are usually waiting outside. Bus and subway service are a short walk. A large park is across the street for walking and running.

Food service is excellent. No need to find a restaurant off premise. Menus are varied with some local fare such as reindeer.

Service is excellent. Marta and Terese at the front desk are a font of knowledge for visitor information.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the front of the hotel have a view of the park, the skyline and the sunset. Also...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review.
Happy that you liked our restaurant and hope you will retsun soon for another nice dinner.
I will persoanlly recogize Ms Marta and Ms Terese for their service, above and beyond.
Thanks
London
Reviewed October 16, 2013

For a Courtyard property, this is unusually trendy and cool. The lobby is contemporary with a hip bar pumping out music in the evening and next to the bar is the Bjork Restaurant, which we did not try but looked very good. In the evening, the place reminded me slightly of a W property. The hotel is only 3 years old and everything still looks fresh and new. Rooms are clean and minimalist although fairly basic - it is a Courtyard after all. There is also a small but well equipped gym. Breakfast is served in the Bjork Restaurant; it is advertised as an American Breakfast and whilst perfectly adequate with a pretty good selection of both hot and cold items, it is a shame that very few Swedish breakfast dishes were available; why not some Swedish herring and smoked salmon?
The hotel is not in the city centre but on the western side of the Kungsholmen island, about 5 minutes walk from the nearest subway station and then just two stops to the Central Station. If the weather is good it is pefectly possible to walk into town, following the Norr Malarstrand road to the Town Hall is a beatiful walk along the Lake Malaren.
We had a slight mishap when checking in and when we asked to speak to the Duty Manager we were told "he is having his lunch break, please come back in an hour". When we said that surely the whole point of having a "Duty" Manager is that he should be on duty to deal with any urgent issues, the receptionist replied "he is entitled to his lunch break and he must not be disturbed.." which maybe shows that the level of training and service attitude is not quite up there with the top hotels of the City.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FirstTravellerLondon
Thank you for your respons.
This was good to get the knowledge of. The duty manager is of course always on duty, that is as you state, the purpose of this. I will take action on this immediately and even if I hope you do not need to talk to the duty manager at your next stay. If so he is of course available.
Please accept my apologize.
Göteborg
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at the Courtyard Stockholm.
The hotel is located on the western part of Kungsholmen. It's a bit far off the center of the city but it is only two métro stops from the train station, and there are even direct buses to Östermalm, Gamla Stan and Södermalm.
The walk from city hall is a pleasant 30 minutes along the lake with great views.

For those arriving from Bromma airport, taxi takes less than 10 minutes, although a local bus and métro will only take 30 minutes as well.

The hotel is a bit more upscale than your typical Courtyard. The rooms are well appointed with comfy bed, designer chair and a warm feel to it.
The bathroom is large, shower only, only the amenities were a bit disappointing in quality and quantity. Then again, it was easy to get more.

Breakfast is extra, a bit expensive but the selection and quality is huge.
Note that there are many café and bakery close to Fridhemsplan métro station, and much cheaper as well.
See my reviens of Thelins for example.

If you do the feel like going out, the on site restaurant is a pleasant surprise. Check my review of Björk Bar & Grill.

Highly recommended.

2 Thank Guillaume R
Thank you so much for your review.
Also for mentioning and giving us a good review for our restaurant BJÖRK Bar&Grill. MOst welcome back both to the hotel and to the restaurant.
Yours sincerely
edinburgh, scotland
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed here at the end of August and had a very good stay. The hotel still feels quite new (it's about 3 years old), location is good and it's good value for money in a city where nice moderately priced hotels are not that easy to come by!

Staff:
Staff were always friendly and check-in was easy and relatively quick.

Decor and facilities:
The hotel opened about 3 years ago (I stayed here the month it opened) and the decor still feels fresh and well maintained. Rooms are a good size with a good sized bathroom, although note that not all bathrooms (if any) have a bath, rather they have a walk-in shower. Decor is quite neutral but nice.

One thing to bear in mind when checking in is the floor you are on - we had a room on the 4th floor which seemed to be above the gym and we could hear people running on the treadmill. There was also a function on one evening one or two floors below and you could hear the noise in the corridors of the 4th floor. Higher-up would seem to be better...

There is a gym with the usual facilities and a bar and restaurant on-site. Breakfast is buffet-style and is taken in the restaurant. The selection at breakfast was varied - cooked items along with fruit, meats, cereal etc. Only criticism would be that the breakfast could reflect better that the hotel is in sweden, rather than anywhere in the world. Some smoked salmon or herring would have been a nice touch.

Location:
This hotel is not in the city centre but does, I think (!) have a very good location. It's located on the island of kungsholmen which is just to the west of the city centre and is a more residental area (than a touristy one) but still with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops. The metro stop is 5 minutes walk from the hotel along with numerous bus stops that take you into the centre of in 10 minutes. There is also a bus that stops behind the hotel that takes you in 5 minutes to central station where you can get the Arlanda Express to the airport.

The hotel is located on the waterfront and there is a lovely path right along the waterfront into the city centre and some great bars and restaurants on the water near the hotel. There is also a park right across from the hotel.

The only potential negative about the actual siting of the hotel is that if you approach the hotel from the direction of the metro stop, you have to walk down a large flight of stairs to get to the front door and reception. This isn't the best accessbility-wise. You can walk around but it is a bit of a detour if you're not that mobile. I think the signage could be better on the street side and perhaps access could be given out of the hotel door that is actually sited on the street-level as carrying suitcases up stairs is a pain!

Overall, a very nice hotel and one to which I would return again.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor as these are less noisy
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scotland580
Thank you so much.
I am happy that you feel the hotel is just as good now as when we opened three years ago.
Hope to see you with us alos more in the future.

Best regards
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a very good hotel by all standards except that it does not have room service, dedicated concierge service and a porter.

The last night of our stay (Saturday) the hotel was also noisy as there was a party on the first floor of the hotel. We were staying on the 6th floor but the noise was very disruptive and it went on until 2:00 in the morning.

Room Tip: Try to stay as high as possible. The noise from the conference rooms on the 1st floor can be problem...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and also for your nice review.
As this is a Courtyard by Marriott Hotel, a select service brand we do not have room service, concierge and porter service in the hotel. You can though buy snacks in the reception area and also order meals from the complete restaurant menu to take up to your room.
I hope we will see you here soon again.
Most welcome back!