“Beautiful place”
Review of Berns Asiatiska

Berns Asiatiska
Ranked #110 of 3,136 Restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Norrmalm
Description: Berns Salonger, a hotel, conference facility and nightclub, are situated in the heart of Stockholm in 19th century splendour. This is also where you'll find Berns Asiatiska, the city's first Chinese restaurant, which opened in 1944, when it was honoured with a visit from the Chinese embassy. Berns Asiatiska still strives to be an international meeting place which introduces new flavours. These days you can enjoy dishes from all the regions of Asia. At weekends an enormous brunch buffet is served and in the afternoons, you can pop in for ?yum cha? (Chinese tea) which includes dumplings and a fantastic desserts buffet. What's more, you can always watch the skilled sushi chefs at work ?live? in the restaurant.
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Beautiful place, magnificent chandeliers, good service, good food, great terrace for drinks after the meal.

There are newer reviews for Berns Asiatiska

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We had come here a few days earlier by accident when we were supposed to be at the French Bistro (Berns Bistro) and thought it was very interesting before going over to the Berns Bistro. So for my sister in law's birthday dinner our last night in Stockholm we decided to return here for dinner. We did not have reservations. We put ourselves on the list for a 1 hour wait. In the mean time the bar tender said that we could wait in the bar area and have a drink while we waited for our friend and my brother in law to arrive. While we waited a few minutes, the bar tender gave us menus and said that we could eat there without waiting the 1 hour for a table in the restaurant proper. So we did. The other 2 arrived while this was taking place. We ordered drinks and upon review of the menu found that it was asian cuisine. Kind of strange since we thought it was a Swedish restaurant. The bar tender was helpful, courteous and a very interesting personable individual. We had a variety of asian foods, which were very unusual and different from the normal "Chinese food" we get in Texas. We had a wonderful time, enjoyed the food and drinks and my sister in law had a different birthday dinner than what she had possibly expected. Needless to say we had one of the best if not most unusual experiences in Stockholm. I would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting to have a different experience.

Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Our Hotel, Nobis, recommended this restaurant right across the street from us. They described it as Asian fusion with a sushi bar. It's in a beautiful historic building that provided a stunning backdrop to our dining experience. The waitress was very helpful and attentive and recommended we share several appetizers, then dim sum, then entrees. The crispy green beans and Korean "chicken nuggets" were great starters and the Po roll as well as the other rolls she recommended were fantastic. I'd definitely recommend a visit here while in Stockholm!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Never in my life would I imagine that someone would hand me my tea cup (empty though) taken from their dirty apron pocket at a restaurant like Berns. If I'd been in a cheap coffee shop or in a restaurant without the ambition of claiming to be one of Stockholm's finest, I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow, but the behaviour was very mal placé at a place with this wonderful interior and atmosphere.

And - can you believe it - it got even stranger! We went there for the afternoon tea/yum cha, and we had the three different kinds of dumplings (pork, chicken and beef). When the waiter brought us the bamboo baskets, and I asked which one was which, he looked at me as if I was crazy to even ask such question, and then told me he didn't know. Very weird since he wasn't new at this establishment, and I guess he must have served these dumplings a million times, and still he couldn't tell the difference. He went for the menu, pointed randomly at the dumplings and said "this one is this, and this one is that" etc. And he was wrong. The beef was the pork and the pork was the chicken.

The dessert buffet was grand. Different kinds of petit fours, all pretty and mouth watering. Some were delicious and some were - weird. How can a chocolate cake taste anything but chocolate?! And why did the crème brûlée taste lemon?

But the price was good - only 195 SEK for the lot, so in that aspect, it was kind of worth its value.

We have been there before for dinner, and yes, the food is nice, though not memorable. Or, as we say in Sweden: "Nothing to write home about."

And I repeat: If this had been at a less "posh" restaurant, I wouldn't have cared. But Berns is claiming more, and then should offer more.

1  Thank Miss_Fnord
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The good stuff: Food, location, atmosphere. The desert platter is a MUST, to share for two or even three. The bad: The staff just becomes more and more unprofessional. Yes, they are friendly, but they are also clueless.