“Hideaway in the middle of the city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

Hotel Skeppsholmen
Ranked #2 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Massachusetts
“Hideaway in the middle of the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is not a hotel for someone who wants "plush" or to be pampered in grand style. HOWEVER, it offers a different kind of luxury: a water-side retreat with lush gardens tucked into a semi-private island within easy walking distance to all that Stockholm has to offer. Nothing like it elsewhere in the city, Skeppsholmen is an adult-oriented oasis reached by bridge (both vehicular and pedestrian) or boat and is perfect for someone who likes a bit of remove at the end of a long day. Drinks in the garden sunset water-front views are a must-do. Several of Stockholm's best museums are actually on the island with you. Rooms are a tad austere (monastic perhaps?) though the basic necessities are there including a killer shower. The Swedes really knows from hot water. The breakfast buffet included with your room is sumptuous with a wide variety of offerings from eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, cheese, pate, croissant, breakfast cakes, focaccia, artisanal breads, teas, coffees, and fresh juices. This rough description doesn't do justice, though, to the high quality of each individual ingredient. Other meals at the hotel are also worth the money -- particularly the excellent shrimp salad -- if staying in is your thing. The young staff is helpful, efficient, knowledgeable, multi-lingual and charming.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor water view room in the "second" building. The main building houses th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alfadog
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing this review and what a great one to receive.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our location, our complimentary breakfast buffet to the service from my team.

I agree! It's quite spectacular to sit in one of our sun chairs in our garden with view of the sea, it feels like you are in the archipelago but you are in the city centre.

Very pleased to read that you enjoyed our restaurant Långa Raden, we are very proud to have Magnus Johansson as our Head Chef and the Swedish cuisine he serves.

Best and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to our Eco labeled hotel next time you visit Stockholm.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Firstly I have to say what an unusual and yet beautiful hotel steeped in history. Formerly a naval barracks this hotel has been magically transformed into a top class boutique hotel and somehow managing to keep some of that historic charm. Its ideally located for the local museums (The Vasa museum is not to be missed!) and walking distance to the local shops and boat ferries. The two mainline stations are a bit of a walk though, so get a taxi.

I stayed at the Skeppholmen back in October 2013 as part of a business trip. Unfortunately my passport was mislaid so had an accidental extra three nights in the hotel. It was certainly no hardship. The rooms are finished to a high standard, albeit a little small but by no means cramped. Modern decor and a lovely shower. Breakfast is a typical Swedish affair with a variety of fish, cold meats and cheeses on offer with fresh bread and huge range of teas and a fresh coffee machine. You wont be disappointed with the spread.

The hotel were really understanding when I mentioned about my mislaid passport and gave me a riverside view, which is stunning during the day. The manager on duty Carl Chapal was an absolute star, providing a complimentary pair of socks and underwear (which they handily sell in the room if you're caught short) to get me started and extended the rate I had got through AMEX over the weekend.

I would without hesitation be staying at the Skeppsholmen again. Sadly my last visit out to Sweden another hotel was booked for me, and I found myself wishing I'd cancelled and stayed here again.

Thanks again to Carl and the team for making me feel so at home. Its the little things that make a big difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverside view. You wont regret it. May be worth paying a little extra for the privilege.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this review and what a lovely one to receive.
Much appreciated that you took the time to write this one though it was a while ago you stayed with us.

Very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and extra glad to read your comments about my team, be assure I will inform them.

Also glad that you enjoyed our popular complimentary breakfast buffet.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back next time you visit our capital.

miami beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

A short walk through Stockholm brought us to Skeppsholmen Island. Walking over the little bridge, we found a tranquil island of parks, fantastic boats, historic places. The Hotel was a treasure. The building is very historic but the interiors are beautifully designed modern style (the bathroom sink was pretty funny), in the middle of a beautiful waterfront garden. I could write a whole paragraph about the breakfast, which was amazing.

The rooms, as mentioned by others, are small. But we were very comfortable. The hotel has various amenities including tennis courts and a business center. We didn't use any of them so I can't comment on those.

Skeppsholmen Island was such a treasure - easy to reach the rest of Stockholm via convenient bike rental and ferry, or walking (taxis are crazy expensive). But we almost didn't want to leave. The island is really special, and home to several lovely museums and lots of wooden and historic boats. Plus another little island connected by footbridge.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our stunning location, our historical buildings from 1699, our Swedish interior to our complimentary breakfast buffet and I agree! it's quite wonderful to start your morning with breakfast on our terrace with view over our garden and the sea.

My team and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Best,

Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed at the Hotel Skeppsholmen last week and had a great 3 days which did not feel at all like work even though it was.

The location is perfect, especially if you are a runner, which I am , as you can run around the city and connect to a couple of the islands connecting exercise with discovering the city.

I was lucky because the weather was fantastic so the views from the island the hotel is on were wonderful as you look back at Stockholm architecture. There is also a design and architecture museum on the small island only about 5 min walk away.

The hotel was very nicely decorated and very clean, I had a good sized room with plenty of space , room 254, but I did notice that some of the others were smaller, though still as well decorated and clean.

The staff, though initially not very smiley, were extremely helpful when you asked them for anything so don't be put off by the seemingly transparent initial meeting. I could not have found them more helpful.

The food at lunch and breakfast were excellent, I did not actually eatthere for dinner but the hotel restaurant was very busy so I anticipate the excellent food carried on throughout all meals.

There were also very good rooms for business meetings, just across from the hotel, that are great for creating the right setting.

Only downside was that the gym was very small so when the weather is not so good I imagine it maybe slightly frustrating if you want a good workout and the gym is full.

Room Tip: Room 254 was great.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the this review and what a lovely one to receive.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our location, our Swedish interior, our complimentary breakfast buffet to the service from my team.

Yes Stockholm with its 14 islands are great if you are a runner! Stockholm marathon is actually this Saturday.

My team and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our Eco labeled hotel.

Best,

Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is an excellent place to stay if you want to stay in the middle of the city but with the charm of the archipielago. The rooms are cosy, though small, the personel are nice, particularly in the restaurant where the food is very good.
I llitle bit too pricey for the room standard but worth it when considering that you have access to one of the most delicious iand quite islands of Stockholm
I have been now 4 times in this hotel for both pleasure and business and I will be back

Room Tip: All rooms are equally nice, but in sommar the rooms looking at the lake are less quite than the ones...
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review.
My team and I are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Extra glad to read that it was your fourth stay with us.

Yes we are very glad to be situated on this green island but still in the city centre.

Best and we are looking forward to welcome you back to your fifth stay with us.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

It has a great location not far from the city centre (about 10 min walk), on a small island connected to the mainland by bridge. It is quiet and idilic. But the rooms are VERY small. I am 6.6. (or 197cm) and feeling was claustrophobic (but this was just my feeling, as being tall). The bed was of course too small for me as well and if you are travelling as a couple you better be very much in love to share such a small bed:). The bathroom with a walk in shower was nice though! The breakfast and food was quite good, but the service depends on who you encounter, some are very nice, but some do not care much about guests (one time I had to wait about 5 minutes because 2 women at the reception desk had a conversation with each other and could not focus on me:)))

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

As glad I am that you enjoyed our stunning location, our complimentary breakfast buffet to our restaurant Långa Raden, I am really concerned about the lack of service from 2 of colleagues at the Front Desk, this is of course unacceptable and be assure I will speak to them regarding this.

Regarding the room size, you stayed in our standard room category and they are around 14-16 square meters and the bed is 1.40 cm, our higher room category's are larger and the bed size are king or twin depends what you prefer.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back so we can deliver the service we strive for and then please mail me on joachim@hotelskeppsholmen.se and I will personally take care of your reservation.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Stayed for 1 night here this week followed by 3 nights at the wonderful Stallmastaragarten. I agree with the positive reviews about the location and the room design, but for me it wasn't worth the price because of the lack of attention to small details which one expects from a hotel in this price change.

I arrived quite late in the day in the central station and realised that the bus 65 that goes to the hotel doesn't run after 6: 30pm. I'm disappointed the hotel didn't bother mentioning this on their website.

The cabbie had difficulty finding the hotel because it is not properly signposted.

Checked in smoothly but I had to lug my bag myself through the sand to the 2nd block where my room was. I think low levels of staffing is common in Sweden but no apology was given. Again the signs to the block were a bit confusing and it was frustrating finding my room.

The room was very good. But no ironing board and no iPod dock. The TV remote didn't work properly. The concierge girl quickly delivered the former but wrt the remote, just said I had to use the number buttons.

Breakfast was good, served outdoors in a scenic garden.

Overall I'm not sure what the fuss re this place is about. I couldn't get any sense of history in the place, it's all very modern. Everybody raves about the location- actually it's not the centre and you are much better off staying elsewhere and taking the 65 (during the day, mind you) to visit the beautiful island and the hotel's cute cafe.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank timusathem28
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay and our Eco labeled hotel.
You feedback is important to us.

As glad I am that you enjoyed our breakfast and interior I am sorry you felt that your stay wasn't value for money.
We are on the higher rate scale but all our rates are always inclusive of VAT, service charges, wireless Internet and our famous breakfast buffet.

We normally always ask our guest about help with the luggage, I am sorry we failed to ask you, also sorry that your taxi didn't find us, we always recommend to use the official taxi company's like Taxi Stockholm, they know where all hotels are and also don't overcharge.

I am sorry you didn't feel the historical ambiance, we are very glad that the Swedish Government who are the owners of the buildings let us open up this hotel 4 1/2 years ago in these historical buildings from 1699 and we
" speak proudly " about our history on everything from our web to the special plague in all our rooms which is dedicated to the people that has been living in the different rooms since 1699.

Regarding our location, Stockholm is not a large city and where ever you stay all attractions are very close by and the charm with our city is that is walkable to all different sights.

Our amazing location on this lush green island but still in the city centre is normally very appreciated, if you don't like walking the charming ferris that goes 7 days a week all year around is a great option, another great way is to use the city bikes and we are very lucky to have a stand next to the hotel and you can buy the card at our Front Desk.

I hope you enjoyed our capital.