“Excellent Breakfast”
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

Hotel Skeppsholmen
Ranked #3 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed June 10, 2013

It is amazing to be able to have your breakfast at the hotels terrace, overlooking the beautiful seaside. Everything about the experience what just perfect, from the newly baked bread to the cosy ambience. I will make sure to return soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this nice review.
Very glad to read you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast buffet. I agree! It's great to have breakfast sitting on our terrace surrounded by our gardens and the water and our sourdough bread is a keeper!

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our Eco Labeled Hotel.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The best part about Hotel Skeppsholmen is the location on the island. Rather than feeling isolated from central Stockholm, it feels like a private sanctuary. We were in Stockholm for four days so we had time to walk everywhere while sightseeing the city. It's only about 500 metres from the hotel to the bridge at the end of the island. It takes about 25 minutes to walk to the old town. There is also a ferry that leaves from about 50 metres from the hotel door.
We enjoyed walking along the island paths each day and seeing all the ducks with ducklings (including witnessing six ducklings jumping out of their nest in a tree for the first time. Their mother was on the ground waiting for them to jump, one by one, the 6 or so metres to the ground - scary but real nature in action!!).
The room we had was sunny & spacious. It was great to have the shutters since the sun rises at about 3.30am at this time of the year. It is airconditioned, but the windows can be opened so that works well too.
The only disappointment about the room was the bathroom. It looks great, but doesn't function so well. I had one shower using the main showerhead (I used the hand held shower hose the rest of the time) and ended up with water all over the bathroom room floor and over the toilet. There is no door on the shower, just a door on the bathroom so it's probably meant to be a "wet room". But a wet room isn't so practical when you are sharing a bathroom (with my husband) and he didn't appreciate using a soaking bathroom after me. A door on the shower would solve this problem.
The staff were extremely polite and they were very warm and helpful at check in and check out.
We really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: Room 140 is a bit too close to the lift & stairwell, so there is some banging from the stairwell...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.
Very glad to read you enjoyed everything from our stunning location, our rooms in our historical buildings from 1699 to the service from my team.
I agree, our bathrooms are stylish but not always the most practical.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our capital.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We spent a very lovely three nights at the Hotel Skeppsholmen and the whole experience was a joy. The setting is green and oasis-like and an easy and interesting walk into the centre of the city, or the hotel was more than happy to arrange a taxi if the walk was not suitable.
The decor and atmoshere were excellent, and the staff charming and friendly.
The dinner we had at the hotel was excellent and beautifully presented and it was wonderful to be able to sit out on the terrace for all our meals and enjoy the lilacs and the birds around us. Breakfast was also very good indeed and nice to find that it is included in the room price rather than another hefty extra as is so often the case these days.
It is well located for the surrounding museums and water ferries as well as the old town.
Just take enough socks and undies so that you don't have to try and wash them in the bathroom basin!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WDandAK
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review!
My team and I are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Glad that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and also that you had dinner in our restaurant Långa Raden. I agree! It's quite spectacular to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner on our terrace and being surrounded by water and our gardens but still in the city centre.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our Eco Labeled hotel.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Hotel Skeppsholmen is now ranked #1 for Stockholm hotels and nearly everybody has given it rave reviews. It is indeed a lovely hotel in a beautiful part of beautiful Stockholm, but during our 4-day stay there we had some fairly annoying experiences.
Another reviewer has already gone into some of the failures of the design -- the impossible bathroom sink, the reading lamp over the bed, etc. -- and while I agree, I give the hotel credit for being brave in using new designs.
My beef has to do with service. While the hotel prides itself in being ecological, telling us to be sure to turn off lights when we leave the room, each time we returned to our rooms, the lights were on. I always hang my towels up, indicating not to wash everyday, but each day my neatly hung towels were changed.
The 3 of us traveling are all over 60. There was no bell service so we had to ask the young man at the front desk to help us, which he kindly did, but having no bell service is not what I expect of a highly-rated hotel.
We drove to Stockholm and was told that the only available parking was public parking which we had to pay for. This is OK, except for when the front desk charged us 4 times for a parking permit over what the meter charged. (They say the meter charge is only for employees or residents of the area, but I asked a passer-by and that appears not to be the case.)
Front desk also would not exchange even the smallest amount of currency and told us we needed to go into town for this. We specifically asked if we needed our passports to do this and they specifically said no. Not knowing our way around the city, it took us some time to find the suggested currency exchange counter -- only to be told we needed to return to the hotel to get our passports! I might add that while the location of the hotel is in a quiet neighborhood, it is a bit of a trek to the center of town.
They also misinformed us completely about a dinner reservation which was quite incredible. They told us our reservation at Mathias Dahlgren was for 9 pm and we could only take the tasting menu. We got to the restaurant at 8:30 and were seated immediately since there were several empty tables (!) and when we got the menu, we were told the tasting menu is only available at the Restaurant, which is closed the day we were there, and that we were at the more informal Food Bar with a la carte menu. The front desk could not even get a simple dinner booking right?
My traveling companions said that I should talk to the GM before posting this on trip advisor, which I did, and I'm sure he will diligently respond to this review as he does all others which I think is admirable. Nonetheless, I still feel that while the hotel's concept and design is genius, the spirit of service is slightly disingenuous.

Room Tip: It's nice to face the water, but we were waken up by the gardener mowing the lawn at quite an ea...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Riosupermom
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is important to us. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel and our location but concerned you left us feeling not happy over our service.

Regarding the fee for the parking next to the hotel it is correct that the cheaper rate are for employees on the island only and you need to have to have a yearly pass to get this cheaper rate, ( otherwise they will ticket you) I am sorry it wasn't clear on the machine and that you got wrong info from the passer by. The discounted price you pay at the Front Desk are the best price you get and you can only pay this discounted price if you are a guest of the hotel.

It's correct we don't have bell boys but our Front Desk are always taking care of the luggage.

Regarding the miss understanding about your dinner reservation it's totally are fault and we are sincerely sorry for this and I have talked to the Front Desk about this.

I am glad I had the chance to sit down with you and talk to you about your stay with us and I very glad you enjoyed our capital.

Best from a sunny Stockholm,

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife an I live in southern Sweden and after our stay at this hotel, there is really no way we can be convinced to stay anywhere else.
The property sits on an island surrouned by water (which looks amazing) and it is a stone throw away from the city (so a nice break from heavy foot traffic outside your door).
The building has been redesigned and from what I can tell, has had great deal of thought go into evertything in the hotel. From the lamps in the dining area to the furniture in the room to the showers. There is such detail in it all it really makes you feel like you are staying inside a work of art.
The service was very great and the fact that you have a beautiful view from where the island sits really makes this hotel a special place for us.
There is just something good about a place that seem to have taken the time to put thought into the design, the service, the food. Skeppsholmen Hotel makes you wake up with a smile looking forward to breakfast and makes you go to sleep with a smile knowing you are staying at the closest thing to sleeping at the Swedish Royal Palace.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shai d
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
My team and I are very glad to read you enjoyed everything from our location, our interior by Swedish interiors Claesson Koivisto Rune to the service from my colleagues.

And yes! We are close to the Royal Palace in the old town and the architect of our historical buildings from 1699 is actually the same one who did the Royal Palace, Mr. Nicodemus Tessin the younger.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My only disappointment is that I couldn't skip the meeting and just stay spend the day in this lovely hotel. I stayed for one night in late May on a short business trip. I arrived late, so the restaurant was closed, but I ordered room service and got an excellent chicken salad. They have my favorite bed (Dux) which guaranties a lovely sleep. Heated floor and mirror in the spacious and ultra modern bath. Great bathrobe and toiletries. Large flat screen TV and windows that actually open. And birds singing. Perfect. The surroundings are just incredibly cute and the rooms are really cool.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review.
So glad you enjoyed everything from our Duxiana beds to our stunning location on this lush green island in the city centre.

My team and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our capital.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Lodging expectations were not only met but exceeded for our recent 3 nights in Stockholm. As has been so regularly noted in reviews, Hotel Skeppsholmen is a peaceful island oasis in a busy city, a delightful place to return to after exploring the city. We were fortunate to have a large 2nd floor room overlooking the water. Accommodations are contemporary and comfortable with the old historic charm still very visible throughout the buildings. The breakfast buffet is generous in the selection and creatively presented. There were no disappointments in our dinner there, with all menu choices excellent. Pricing is very fair in expensive (at least to Americans) Scandinavia.
Everything is spotlessly clean. The staff was not only consistently pleasant and attentive to our needs but took initiative in how our stay might be even more comfortable and memorable. The ferry (a very short walk from the hotel) and the regularly running bus (#65 from behind the hotel or at the door) make exploring Stockholm very accessible. Many destinations are an easy walk away. We can't imagine more ideal lodging in Stockholm, now among our very favorite destinations.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SallyWilmingtonDE
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

What a lovely mail to receive this sunny Tuesday!
My team and I are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and for me it's extra nice to read your comments regarding my colleagues.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to our capital and our Eco labeled hotel in the near feature.