“Sweden at its best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
West Midlands
“Sweden at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

As soon as you cross the bridge onto Skeppsholmen Island, you can sense you are in for something special. To be surrounded by trees, lawns and within 50 metres of the harbour makes this place a great location.

We visited Skeppsholmen some 8 years ago and then it had only the Museum open with everything else boarded up. Now you can walk all round the island, see some old tug boats and take in the views of Stockholm. All very pleasant.

Yet an easy 30 minute walk along the harbour front takes you into the shopping area or Gamla Stan.

The hotel itself was previously a military barracks and you can tell this from the long corridors through out the building.

We had an upgrade to a sea facing room on the first floor. Not a perfect view as trees, fully in leaf and laden with apples, obscured things a little.

The room was Swedish design and decor at its best. We loved the light in the shower which illiminated the falling water.

We had two evening meals there and enjoyed them, although as seems to be the way in Sweden, there were only 4 or so choices for each course. Food in Sweden is very expensive and these were probably the most expensive meals I have ever paid for.
Staff all very pleasant and welcoming. Breakfast excellent.
No tea or coffee facilities on our room.

I think this is probably the best hotel I have stayed in because of the standard of the hotel and location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review!
I and my team are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Best and looking forward to welcome you back to our stunning capital in the near future.

Joachim Olausson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We have recently had a 6 day stay at this unique and beautifully situated Stockholm hotel. the setting and the style of this hotel is very comfortable and just the perfect situation close to the city centre and affording great views of the beautiful harbor. The food and staff were excellent however the big frustration was not having a guest laundry for long term long distance travelers.Some hotels just don,t get it! If you travell along way for an extended stay, you must have laundry facilities

Room Tip: Can,t see the sea from the sea rooms,so go for a garden view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank snowdavs
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review!
Very glad to read you had a nice stay with us and that you enjoyed everything from our location, our interior, our food to the service from my team.
Regarding laundry, it is correct that we don't have self service laundry but we offer laundry/dry cleaning service 7 days a week.

Best and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to our Eco Labeled hotel in the
near future.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stockholm is expensive, but you can help with costs and relax more by choosing this 'home-from-home' in the tranquil & leafy island setting right next door to 'Moderna Museet' and the 'Photography Museum' and easily accessible via Bus No. 65.
Friendly and polite hotel staff are right to feel confident about their high quality service. Highlights are the hotel's tranquil garden & terrace with sea view, understated and exceptional hotel cuisine (book the restaurant in the evening too), yet best of all breakfast 'Smorgasbord' (organic teas and beautifully presented 'English' breakfast, just 'Swedish' style).
Plus, a general no-fuss-approach with secluded privacy. Apart from a few 'design' touches which seemed redundant (– a real sink is just easier!), we enjoyed our short stay. Room categories are slightly confusing: 'standard' rooms have no waterfront view, but are still cosy and comfortable.
This hotel is not in the over-busy Old Town, yet easily accessible from the city centre and at the same time incredibly peaceful. Hotel Skeppsholmen is a real find, exceptionally stylish and truly puts its guests at ease.

Room Tip: Several categories – 'Standard' has no waterfront view. Recommend a sea view room! We liked...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne K
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive!

Very glad to read you enjoyed everything from our stunning location, our garden, chic interior to our breakfast and restaurant Långa Raden.
I have already informed my team about your kind words about them and the service.

Best and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed here for a business trip for a week between 17th and. 21st. Hotel is great 4*.

Perfect breakfast for Sweden. Dinner choices are not much but have very good taste since I had in Stockholm.

I have reserved a XL room looking to the garden on the first floor. Bed is comfortable, safe deposit is enough large that I could fit my 13' Mac. Bathroom tube needs a coverage that all water come out when u take a shower. Also with a stone sink it is hard to shave, eash face and brush teeths but not deadly. By the way to find a minibar took a time in a room :)

In the mornings when trucks arrive to the hotel, their sound could wake you up, so need some isolation on the rooms which suits to the historical structure.

City center is 10-15 minutes walking time. There is bus stop in front of hotel, and buses depart every 20 minutes. Only nr65 to travel with them. There is also pier which you can use to go Gamla Stan - Slussen or Djurgarden.

I am glad that I have preffered this hotel in Stockholm. Next time i am planning to have a weekend holiday in Stockholm with a family and I exactly know the place to stay ;)

Thanks Mr. Olaussen.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and what a nice one to receive!
So glad you stayed with us on business and very glad to read you would like to come back on holiday.

Arlington Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Skeppsholmen for almost two weeks in August, and it could not have been nicer. The grounds are green and parklike, right on the water, but only a five to ten minute stroll across the bridge and into the busier parts of Stockholm. Our bright and airy room was quietly furnished and spotless, and smelled wonderful. The bed was super-comfy with luxurious linens and pillows. The weather was nice so we enjoyed relaxing in the garden, where there are lots of chairs for lounging and the hotel restaurant for ordering a glass of wine or a snack. We had dinner there a few times as well and it was very, very nice.

The breakfast was such a treat every morning - just to wake up and know that there is great food and coffee waiting for you steps away! A wonderful unhurried start to the day. The hotel seemed very well-run, we were upgraded at check-in to a Superior room, and the billing was faultless. Staff went above and beyond to help with a DHL shipment arriving during our stay.

Some of the design features didn't seem to work perfectly, but for us that added to the experience of breaking out of the usual and being open to new ways of seeing things. We found it revitalizing, like a spa treatment for your creativity. Incidentally, the route we took into town each day took us right by the famous Grand Hotel, so we took a look. I have to say, even if it was the same price I would never stay there. So boring. If you like your luxury low-key, with some creative soul, you cannot do better than Hotel Skeppsholmen.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have doors on the showers, which was a nuisance for some guests. Ask for a room w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review!
I and my team are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Glad to read you had drinks in our stunning garden and next time you will stay with us you have to play tennis on our tennis court which is the first one in Sweden and was built by King Oscar II 1882.

Best and I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back in person next time you visit Stockholm and Skeppsholmen,

USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Hotel Skeppsholmen hotel really is a lovely hotel on very quiet little island. Some of the rooms appeared quite small but, luckily, I was upgraded upon arrival. Although I requested a sea view room, the upgraded room looked out over the park and when I asked where my sea-view room was, I was told that "there was something wrong with the room and so we upgraded you." After complaining to the management, I was miraculously shown a "sea view" room that had no sea view at all because of the trees. So don't waste your money on a "sea view" room unless you are here in the winter: I suspect you won't see it!
Overall, the rooms were lovely, the staff really quite helpful, and the morning breakfast a lovely, if somewhat typical, way to start the day.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation type and don't let them tell you you've been upgraded without check...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review!
I and my team are glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us.

D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Liked the location although it's a little out of the way. Closest metro was closed for the summer, but easy to hop the bus or ferry with a 72 hour pass. Nearby amusement park rides and concerts, and museum concerts loud at times. Nice decor--sprung for medium room on back of building and that was spacious. Good breakfast. Too much butter at dinner. Outdoor tables in August for drinks and dining. Heavy food, generally. Front desk staff is not up to western standards. They don't have a bellhop, seem to be too busy to help you, and forgot my wakeup call the morning of my flight. Some of the rooms are very far from the restaurant and front desk, in a separate building.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review!
Glad to read you enjoyed our stunning location, our modern interior to our breakfast.
I am sorry you felt my team at the Front Desk were to busy to help you and I am really sorry they forgot your wake up call. Be assure I will speak to them about this.