“Not convinced”

Acco Hostel
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Not convinced”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is oly the second hostel I have stayed in and unfortunately it did not live to my expectations at all. Not having any constant members of staff meant that if you weren't happy with something, well then tough! We stayed in one of the larger shared rooms and were the only women in there, this wasn't a problem on the first two nights but on our last night we were quite uncomfortable as two of the male guests were becoming unbearable. We didn't sleep at all that night and with an early flight to catch it wasn't ideal!

Other than that, the hostel was okay. The shower areas are tiny and dark and have no spaces within the shower area to keep clothes dry. There is no communal area except a landing with a single sofa and two computers with Internet, this did not matter to us too much as we wanted to explore the area. However, one thing I found to be a major problem was how DARK this hostel was! The light in the rooms is so poor and something I really found difficult to cope with at times,

Lockers are supplied in the rooms which was a good safety aspect and meant we could leave our passports in the room instead of carrying them around all the time.

I understand that you get what you pay for and obviously we were aware this was an unstaffed hostel and you get all sorts of people staying in hostels, but this is one to be treated with caution I feel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lorna E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My first "staffless" place I've ever been to. sometime it means that the place could get a bit noisy at night if no one bothers to call the personnel. but we did like the place - it's close to the centre, very clean, great value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Stockholm
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Although is is cheaper than the other hostels in Stockholm, it has enough problems to stop me from staying there again. The biggest problem is that there are no staff, which means that guests can do (and indeed, do ) do what they like. No control over the people who are in the hostel, and when there are problems, then there is nobody there to sort things out. Not good.

There were frequent problems with the internet, but of course, as nobody is there then nothing can be done.. The 6 bed room was extremely cramped, not enough space for bags and also there are almost no places to sit outside of the bedroom. Only 1 small stool in the bedroom for 6 people.. Sleep was not easy with the traffic noise outside, and also with the noisy guests who continued throughout much of the night.

Another bad thing was that I got charged an extra 40 SEK for sheets, despite the fact that I had emailed them to say that I had my own sheets and towels. Another reason not to stay there.

The location on Sodermalm is inconvenient so you have to add the (high) cost of the metro onto the hostel price. Also it has only one sink and a microwave and fridge, so almost no kitchen at all. So basically you either sit on your bed or else go out.

So although it is cheaper than the other hostels, it is not a pleasant place to stay. Would I recommend it, definitely not.

Room Tip: Choose another hostel !! For a few more kronor there are better hostels than this one, and hostels...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank centraltraveller

Travelers are raving about these Stockholm hotels

Kazan, Russia
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Minuses-very closely, no common room, no siting places in buffet. One thin corridor and a few dorms. I lived in 6-bed dorm during 6 nights, it was not full, only 1-4 guests. No reception-ones 2 girls occupayed 1 bed (for economy, i think) and nobody cares)
Pluses-clean bed and linen, near from center-20 minutes to Gamla Stan. Free Internet, free coffee and tea.
I recommend it for students as budhet hostel.

Room Tip: If you have claustrophobia, it's not your place)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Staying just one night on my own in a single bed room it suited my needs exactly. Cheap, decent location but seemingly well maintained. The room was small (just about 1 foot wider than the bed) but very clean and was all that I needed.

What I didn't like was the noise someone was making before 6am in the morning apparently taking bins out. That was bad but what was worse was having someone (presumably a member of staff) open the door to my room at 7am when obviously I had use of it till 12! If I had been a woman alone and that man had opened the door that early I would not have felt very safe.

Room Tip: I don't think much choice but I was in room 5 which is right on the communal area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Lohja, Finland
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a place where you get exactly what you pay for, nothing more and nothing less. I stayed one night in a 18 person dorm for about 30 euros. What I got for the price was a bed, clean sheets and a towel. The hostel do not have staff, but you get door codes and a bed number when you pay. That is, you get there, open the main door, walk up the stairs, find your room and open it with your code and find your bed. (When I left in the morning there was an administrator that also did the cleaning, but she was not there when I came in the evening).

The hostel is clean but very basic. There is a small shower room for women with 3 showers and in all 2 toilets on the floor where I was staying. I went to bed early and left early, so there where no crowd even if the hostel was full. If you shower a bathrobe and flipflop come handy as there is not much place to store dry clothes.

I did not see a kitchen - I see in an another review that someone else found one - but no living room, only the corridor had some space for socializing. That is, do not expect to do anything else than shower and sleep at this hostel. You have your bed and that is it.

I sleep well, but as I went to bed early, I woke up about 17 times that night when someone came int eh room with the door code. A door for 18 persons is too much. The window was open all night for air and the traffic outside is also quite loud. The lock was beeping for every number (6 of them) every time someone came in and every one was not getting it right even with the first try. Then it started again in the morning, when people got up to the bathroom. Not the place where you want to sleep if you have an important meeting or need to be very sharp the next day.

The good things is that the location on Södermalm, the hostel is clean and newish, it is cheap and it was one of the few places that had a free and affordable bed this Saturday night in August. I could stay here again if I am on a tight budget and need a place to stay for one night - but I would book one of the smaller dorms. I do not know how they look though, as all doors are behind locks.

Room Tip: If you go for one of the 18 person dorms, earplugs and a blindfold are good to have. Smaller dorms...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank LizaLaTiza
Turku, Finland
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed in this hostel for two nights and I have to say that is a very well organized hostel, very clean, fresh bed sheets and everything, great location in the heart of Stockholm near a metro station, the system with the codes works perfectly and I loved the 24hr wifi! The kitchen was small but we didn't mind, there is a machine for coffee, hot chocolate or tea! Even though we check out at 12 o'clock the people there were kind enough to let me go outside the hostel with my luggages in the luggage room until I came back!! The price was also fine! Compared to the other hostels I have stayed through the years this was the best! However it could have been better if the luggage room was bigger!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends