“Oooops”

Dining options: Reservations
Copenhagen
“Oooops”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Went to try this restaurant as it was recommended as the 7th best in Sweden by the whiteguide.se
Unfortunately it was not really there.
At 3000SEK for an evening for 2 the expectations are rather high.
The location is in the suburbs of stockholm in enskede-dalen in a quaint old pram factory - rather fun actually with only 4 tables open for seating. The interior is sparse and nordic with multicoloured paintings on the walls and the famous home-knitted doilies as tableware . Tasteful ? Maybe not - but at least different.
We had the middle-sized menu with 5 courses and the first serving came quickly to the table by the very friendly and helpful server.
It was mushroom season now so we would experience a lot of mushroom in tonights menu - something I looked really forward to.
However the first dish which contained som raw slices Portobello (Karl Johan) mushroom with each slice on a fried slice of onion with a dollop of lingon berry juice on a tiny mushroom puree drop was in fact the only sight of mushroom we saw the enitre evening.
The first course was nice but rather bland.
We had chosen the wine menu which I must say was a joy - in fact the highlight of the evening: A Vin Jaune from Jura to start with and accompagny the mushroom, followed by a lovely and flavourful Puligny Montrachet, a Fullbodied Lanquedoc Red, and finally a lovely Pinot Gris from Alcace with just the right amount of sweetness for the dessert.
The next dish was 4 tiny slices of fried zuccini with a lot of wood sorrel (for the acidity) and one leaf of raw zuccini flower. Again an very uninteresting dish which barely consisted of a mouthful.
I must say Im all for the New Nordic Cuisine, but this was a poor imitation. It seemed the chef really couldn't (or wouldn't) follow through on what this implies.
The next dish some 9-hour oven baked beetroot in burned butter and rose sauce. Nice actually but for some obscure reason accompagnied by a briefly oven baked tomato which was straight out of the shelves of the local supermarket it seemed.
The the 'main dish' : 4 tiny slices of undercooked duck which as placed on some seaweed puree and with a dollop of current juice, and some very simply fried cabbage leaves (4 of them) . Finally a dessert which was rhubarb icecream in rose-milk foam. Unfortunately the foam had separated and the result was some water with some lumps of rose flavoured white stuff on top of the not-very-sweet rhubarb icecream. Rhubarb is naturally acidic and therefore needs balance in whhat it is served with, and the rose-concoction did not do it.
To finish off some very nice 'Esmeraldacoffee' which was truely light and flavourfull with one tiny oatmeal like cookie with lingon in it.
All in all an experience which mostly reminded me of the fairytale of the emperors new clothes.
CLearly inspired by the wave of new nordic cuisine this evening the chef here unfortunately did not deliver on all that this entails. In stead it was a poor imitation of less than well prepared minute dishes (For reference Noma in Copenhagen serves the same size dishes , but their menu contains roughly 20 of those dishes for a full evening).

Service again was friendly and everyone helpful and cheerful, but when this restaurant closes at the end of the year to move to france I hope they will open their eyes and take note. They have a lot to learn....

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank nikolai69

Royal Oak, Michigan
“A huge disappointment and grossly overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Saveur Magazine in their January 12 issue highly recommended Mistral in Stockholm. My husband and I and 4 friends were visiting Stockholm in August and made a reservation. I am not fond of huge portions nor overeating but this is the first time I have had an eight course meal and come away hungry. The food was pretentious to the point of foolishness. An example would be the "first course" which consisted of three (yes, three!) French green beans served with a grilled peach slice. It was down hill after that. The chef talks a great deal about natural, local etc... I had the feeling he used everything and anything growing in the back garden whether it made gastronomic sense or not. The bill was indeed jaw dropping and would not have been a problem if the meal had matched the cost. We all came away feeling "used" and shame on Saveur for their glowing recommendation.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank joyce k
Toronto, Canada
“Truly original and natural.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

Without doubt, visiting Mistral was one of the most eccentric and eclectic dinner experiences to date. This place is more than a restaurant, it is a noteworthy gastronomic oasis. The décor is so cleverly done, minimal, squeaky clean and Scandinavian, a touch camp. Nothing is totally straight or obvious here. A delightful sense of playfulness runs through the place, in every detail.
Most definitely, there is no other restaurant in Stockholm like Mistral. It is actually quite difficult to describe my dinner experience. It was very much like experiencing the best cuisine at kaiseki restaurants of Japan, where seasonality is paramount, and the design of each course, and of each dish or vessel used, is well thought out to the ninth degree. Living in the moment is everything at Mistral. Every detail matters. I was served their multi-course ‘Winter Menu’ with wine pairings. (Best to let them do what they do best, and not have to think too much!) The way they used common winter veggies like onions, carrots, potatoes, beets, cabbage, Jerusalem artichokes and so forth, expertly and creatively transforming the ingredients to make each somehow more magical and gastronomical, was beyond belief. Deer was featured as the meatier dishes, again, keeping the menu to a strictly seasonal celebration. The cuisine said something so simple and honest to me, ‘this is now, this is winter, this is Sweden, so, enjoy and respect it to the fullest’! Wines paired with the tasting menu were very off-beat and unusual, chosen to totally push the envelope! (This restaurant is very unusual, so, I accepted the resulting wine pairing quirkiness with finesse.) In fact, over the course of dinner, I learnt that all their wines are sourced from biodynamic producers only, again, showing their brilliant commitment to showcasing purely natural cuisine and products. The service was quite novel, whereby the two charming chefs also served me in the dining room, quite effortlessly and graciously so.
As soon as I left the establishment, I could not help but notice how happy I felt to have visited this charming restaurant, I had a big smile on my face. That is when one knows something truly magical and meaningful has taken place, and that is exactly what happened to me whilst dining at Mistral!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank R M
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great produce + love for food + excellent cooking skills = Mistral!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

I went with a friend to Mistral after reading a couple of reviews that got me interested. I have been to a few fancy and molecular gastronomy restaurants before, but have never found anything as special as Mistral.

In Mistral it is all about the natural tastes and using great local and bio dynamic produce combined with excellent cooking skills to maximise the flavour.

The ambiance is amazing, just like the food it is simple, but very appealing. The restaurant is sparsely decorated and small and cozy seating a maximum of 16 guests. The small number of guests means that you will get a world class service. Not only will the cooking team (they both cook and serve) fill up your glass and ask if you want more bread at the appropriat times. They will gladly tell you everything about the food, how it was prepared and who grew the produce. It is obvious that the team at Mistral does this for the love of natural tastes and food and all they want is share in on the insight, the excitement and the love.

We had the even course menu and the wine menu. It was expensive but it was worth every single krona. I will be back once the season and the menu changes, this is by far the most amazing food experience I have ever had!

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank Goshyall7832
Stockholm, Sweden
“Not up to my expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

I knew before I went there that this is one of the real luxury restaurants in Sweden and I have been to a couple of those before. I knew that I had a bill coming that would be jaw dropping and it was!

We where a bit unlucky at our visit because it was me and my wife at one table and just one other couple sitting in the restaurant which made it very quiet and almost spooky. The staff claimed that they have had several late cancellations.

We had a nine course meal with wine included. Some of the dishes where fantastic and some where not. Presentation of the food was great both the food on the plate itself but also the verbal description of how it was made and what ingredients where used. Obviously very competent staff!

Wines where just fantastic and so right for every dish we received. One annoying thing was that we really liked one of the red wines and just asked for a bit more in our glasses and the waiter top them up. I was not surprised that they where charged on the bill but the charge was 30 EUR per glass without telling us this in advance. Irritating also that a bottle of water directly from the tap was charged with 10 EUR.

I have been to restaurants with similar overall pricing and similar kind of food and presentation but Mistral just did not give me the same overall experience.

• Visited March 2011