“Great location and value”

and 1 more site!
Castanea Old Town Hostel
“Great location and value”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was looking for a nice, clean and central spot in Stockholm, and found a great value at Castanea. The hostel staff were wonderful and helpful, and the facilities were nice and clean. Rooms are small, but I was just looking for a spot to lay my head at night. The beds were comfortable. And the location can't be beat -- within walking distance of several tourist destinations. Overall, a great place for budget travelers seeking a good location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NJ
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hostel is located in a charming building in the heart of old town and is in walking distance to almost all major sites on the island. Day and night, you'll see hoards of busload of tourists in this neighborhood. So if this is what you like, then it's a perfect place to stay.

I was shocked to see my tiny single room with bare concrete floor. It was so small (roughly 6"x6") that after putting down the luggage, there's not much space left, luckily room comes with a big window with a nice view of the inner court yard.

Also, beware the hostel charged a lot more than other place for sheets(plus one towel). The kitchen has absolutely nothing. Not even coffee or tea. Basically, you're really on your own. One night the Wi-Fi went down and no one in the hostel could get on Internet, we had to wait until next day when the staff arrived to have it fixed.

Another thing bothered me was prior to my arrival, they sent me an email for the entrance's security code but for whatever reason, the code they gave me only worked for interior door but not the building's exterior door. I was stuck outside on the street until someone else let me in. Funny thing is the next day I saw same thing happened to another new arriving hostel guest.

Bottom line is the hostel is in great neighborhood and excellent location but don't expect anything else and be prepared for the hefty fee for the sheets/towel.

Room Tip: Great location in the heart of Stockholm old town.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
İstanbul, Türkiye
Reviewed June 19, 2013

As i'have never stayed in a hostel before Castanea i don't have any experience to compare Castanea to others. Castanea has beat my expectations from a hostel. It is very clean, charming and decent place. Hostel staff especially the blonde lady were really great, friendly people. They made my stay very pleasant there.Common areas such as kitchen and toilets are also very clean . It is right in the middle of Gamla Stan. . If you are keen to stay in a hostel i highly reccomend this place.

Nothing really..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Blitzistanbul
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hostel overall I would say below is nice. Stay here if in Stockholm, it's great located, clean and staff is friendly.

It was a great dissapointment that you'll need to pay in addition for sheets. Of course you can bring your own, but have you ever seen a backpacker travelling with sheets?!

There are some small lockers in the dorm, but they should be paid for.

And the most stunning for me was a kitchen without free tea or coffee. And defenetly you can buy it at the reception! Or look throug leftovers.

And do not forget to inform hostel if you're going to check-in after 6pm. After 6pm till 8 or 9 am reception is closed and there are noone to help you to check-in.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alu_Minsk
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I vowed never to stay in a hostel again after nightmare experiences in the early 2000s. But I am so pleased I changed my mind to come here. I stayed here for three nights, the first two I was with friends as we had come to run the marathon and we booked a four bed dorm, it was comfy, clean, the staff were very friendly. It is perfect if you want a relaxing, quiet time as the common areas and kitchen cannot be used after 11pm. I was put off a lot of hostels as they do seem to be party central. I was staying an extra night to make the most of my time in Stockholm, so I moved to a twin the singles having been booked and I decided to splurge having run a long way! As a single woman I felt perfectly safe the whole time, I have been in some dodgy places in the past so this was very important to me. If (or when) I come again I will have no hesitation booking a bed in one of the anger dorms.
The location is fantastic, you can walk easily to the major sights as Stockholm is not a big city. That said, we were extremely lucky with the weather, but the T Bahn stop, Gamla Stan is a short walk away.
The kitchen was clean and tidy, as we're the bathrooms. Overall this is a fantastic place, good value, excellent location and has converted me back to hostels.
There is free wifi and I strongly recommend taking the breakfast deal at the neighboring cafe, Under Kastanjen. Excellent value and a really delicious breakfast that kept me going all day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed in one of their private room with two twin beds and it was great! Good size room and very clean. We also stayed at the "dorm" type room and had no complain about that either. The rooms and bathrooms are clean. Great location and plenty of restaurant and shops around. You also got a good deal on breakfast next door if you stay at Castanea.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Castanea is a pleasant hostel which is centrally located wkich makes visiting Stockholm very easy. It is close to everything, we didn't have to use any public transport during our 4-day stay. The kitchen is well equipped and is a good alternative to all crazy expensive Stockholm restaurants ;-). In the hall between the rooms on the ground floor, however, it is very cold and we were freezing movin from our room to the showers and back (we were there at the end of April). The showers on the ground floor are also preety old-fashoned. On the other side ground floor is quieter. The room was nice, clean, convenient.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple