“Way overpriced, way over-rated”
Review of Lydmar Hotel

Lydmar Hotel
Ranked #1 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed August 25, 2014

The staff was friendly, the location great, and the hotel has an urban hip vibe (although I can't say I love the grungy pictures in our room of some tramp removing her panties). However, we paid over US$500 for our top floor room, Stockholm was in the middle of a heat wave, and while there was supposed to be air conditioning, it was completely inadequate for the job. Everyone was complaining in every room. Our room was a constant 28C, and we had to sleep with the windows open. This was no treat as the Lydmar, being as trendy as it is, has either live music or a DJ playing loudly until at least midnight, right under the windows. There was no attempt to make good on anything from the staff. A discount on the room rate maybe? Free drinks? NOT recommended, at all.

3  Thank Mark P
Anlert, Hotelldirektör at Lydmar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your highly valued feedback! Stockhom did indeed suffer a bit from a heat wave this summer and all rooms are equipped with air cooling systems and not air condition systems as they are not needed in sweden on overall and is not enviromental friendly as air cooling. However the air cooling struggles if there is a heat wave of course. We should of course have informed you of this and of course also offered up some solution for both the room temp and the music. We are of course sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Kind Regards

Sebastian Anlert

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Lydmar is very well located: at the waterfront, 50 meters from the island of Skeppsholmen. Quiet, but very central, with a fantastic view. The room was fantastic: you could hardly call it a 'room': it was more like an apartment (room 212, a double room, about 60 sq mtrs). The hotel is very well decorated with modern art, the breakfast/dining room feels like a living room, with books and games like Risk and Trivial Pursuit.
The staff is very friendly, breakfast great. Can't find bad things to say!

1  Thank MarkSch
Anlert, Hotelldirektör at Lydmar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Thank you for those amazing words. We are very blessed to have had you as our guest. I hope you will return to Lydmar soon and that next time I get to challange you to a game of Trivial Pursuit.

Kind Regards
Sebastian Anlert
Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 22, 2014

The hotel was beautiful just from the photos on trip advisor but neither the professional or family photos could do this magnificent hotel justice until you've had the pleasure of staying there. The rooms are more than spacious and every floor has its own variety of parlor, library, sitting area, etc. The hallways are spacious and the entire is immaculate.

The service is extremely prompt and the staff goes out of their way to make sure that all guests have everything they need and are looking for both in and outside of the hotel. Three people I must mention are Julie, Daniel and Nicholas who went out of their way for me on a frantic occasion and resolved the matter within an hour.

The hotel is close to both old and new town and they only reason to take any type of transportation was to the airport. My husband did not like the music that was played but in all fairness he chooses to go to bed early so my only suggestion is if you are an early to bed type of person or have small children--stay at the other end of the hotel--you'll still have beautiful views!

What said a lot about this establishment was that most of the staff had been there a number of years--which is difficult to find in the hospitality industry.

Do yourself a favor and visit this amazing city filled with great atmosphere, warm people and delicious food. I absolutely did not want to leave!!

Room Tip: Read above
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank M M
Reviewed August 19, 2014

3-nights stay in July 2013. Lydmar Hotel is perfectly located on the waterfront and offers easy access by foot or rental bikes to the Old Town, the Royal Palace, Skeppsholmen island and the beautiful Strandvägen boulevard as well as some of the ferry boats out to the archipelago.

The lobby, as well as the rest of the hotel, is decorated with very interesting pieces of art and furniture. There is a very edgy feeling to this place and it's fantastic. We loved loitering in the hallways and have even tried to incorporate elements of the "Lydmar feel" to our apartment back home. Our room was very quiet and had a partial view of the harbor and the Royal Palace. Very comfortable bed and seating area with plenty of space for a couple. Great design and modern bathroom. The beautiful restaurant area for the breakfast buffet and dinner delivers outstanding food and I highly recommend it. There is an old elevator in the middle of the building that will take you back in time. My girlfiend and I only used that one during our stay. The staff was extremely friendly, very attentive and professional.

Regarding some comments about noise/music. To be clear, there is no nightclub in front of the hotel as some reviewers seem to imply but there is an outdoor space with a bar and lounging areas where the hip crowd from stockholm comes to enjoy cocktails and live music. If I have a chance to mingle with the local crowd whenever I travel, I will jump on the occasion and this was the perfect place to do it. Plus, the live music was actually very good.

This is the best luxury room and hotel my girlfriend and I have stayed at in the past 2 years. I will most definitely stay at Lydmar Hotel when back to Stockholm.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Our stay was booked by friends through a travel agency, and so we had no expectations, but WOW -what a superb experience. Friendly and exceptionally helpful staff, lovely accommodations, unparalleled location, very fine restaurant. Could not have been a better stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights early Aug. Before a Regent Voyager cruise. It is a wonderful boutique hotel. We had booked a medium room but were upgraded to a large room on 3rd floor. On Sunday night the music did go quite late but we were so tired from travel that it did not bother too much. Monday night was fine. We did eat the first night on the terrace and the hamburgers were huge and very good and it was quite the happening spot. The breakfast was included and a very good selection. Location is really good. We could walk all over city. One last note, we were missing a suitcase on arrival and they helped by calling airlines and following up. We did get the bag on day 3 right before getting on cruise. Very friendly staff. Highly recommend.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Had booked a 2-night stay in a 'medium' room to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday.
I must admit my expectations (and those of my wife) have been largely exceeded.

The hotel is situated next to the Stockholm Grand Hotel, with a direct view on the Royal Palace across the water. We decided to take the Flygbus from Bromma Airport to 'Cityterminalen' and to discover the rest by foot. The walk will bring you along the commercial center of Stockholm and will take more or less 20'.

I was a little worried about the noise comments in previous posts, but we have never during our stay been interrupted by loud music, even though on Friday night lots of very fashionable young people arrived at the terrace in front. It is indeed a very trendy place and we had the impression the Stockholm 'beau monde' will frequent the bar/restaurant.
If you want a quiet room, simply ask for one. Views will not be spectular then, but it is matter of priorities.

I could easily go on for ages talking about the Lydmar, but let me tell you this in short: the hotel is splendid, staff are very laid back (no stiff upper lips), interior decoration is very cool, breakfast is yummy, food quality is superb (dinner at the hotel), wines are not the standard ones, room was fantastic.

My next stay in Stockholm will definitely be at Lydmar.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family