“Highly recommended”
Review of Lydmar Hotel

Lydmar Hotel
Ranked #1 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Perfect place; it was exactly the sort of hotel that my partner and I love. We like the contrast from the more commercial large places (like the Grand appeared to be). This was a contemporary, more personal, unique boutique hotel with friendly staff, stylish decor, very comfortable surroundings and a home-like feel. Breakfast was served late enough to allow a relaxed morning enjoyed in the room before going to down to experience the great selection on offer. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it. We had one of the larger rooms with amazing views - I was pushing the boat to spoil my lady – so paid more than I would normally, however it was worth every penny in my opinion. We did see some of the other rooms and they were all of a high standard. The photography on display on each floor is worth a look on its own. Thanks Lydmar you helped make a truly wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sharpefiction

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The room is very stylish and modern, clean, and comfortable, with a nice display cabinet with some cool antigues. Bathroom is nice and clean as well. Big closet and storage area. Very comfy bed, and sofa. Very centrally located. Breakfast is REALLY good! Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Lydmar is an elegant hotel beautifully situated next to the famous Grand Hotel. Unlike its neighbor, that now owns an interest in the hotel, the Lydmar is informal yet very elegant. Our room, facing a small park in the rear, was large, beautifully furnished, with a large bathroom. The reception, at which men and women are informally dressed, is efficient and very helpful. The hotel is located on the water and within walking distance of old town. The Hotel's restaurant is superb, not only with the included breakfast but also for an evening meal .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank baskin
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We've stayed in a few hotels in our time, but nothing I've ever experienced approaches the Lydmar. Being 70+ years old I was at first disconcerted by the youthfulness of the staff. I couldn't spot anybody who looked over 25; jeans and shirt-tails were the order of the day and the boys all sported the standard fashion-model stubble. This is not a criticism. I was into shirt-tail mode like a flash, just trying to keep up. The friendliness, efficiency and helpfulness of the staff was beyond reproach. And, that rarest of qualities, they were kind.

The hotel itself is more like somebody's expansive house than a public place. Books line the restaurant area, and they are more than just decoration. The hotel boasts some of the most magnificent art, music and photography publications I've ever seen. The food is truly excellent and is served with knowledgeable attention. We ordered early morning tea and coffee every day of our stay and were amazed to find it was complementary. That is a first in any hotel I've stayed in. And the perfectly prepared multiple choice breakfast is enough to keep you going all day.

It is all a bit hi-tec for me, but that's my fault. The smart TV set in the room was obviously capable of holding a conversation with me while playing the movie of my choice and probably serving cocktails at the same time. It was just that I didn't know how to get it to do those things. The upshot of my ineptitude was that when the weather turned cooler for a day or two I couldn't get the temperature in the room to correspond with more warmth. I'm sure it's dead simple. I was just too ashamed to ask. However, I did overcome my reticence and asked reception how to access the various functions in the (almost humanly intelligent) shower and spent the next few mornings basking for hours under various perfectly heated streams.

When we checked out I was presented with the only hotel bill in my life against which I didn't have to raise at least one question, even for simple clarification. It corresponded exactly with what I expected. Apart from the tea we had been drinking while we waited for our airport taxi. That, we were told, t was on the house.

I left the Lydmar brimming with goodwill. Long may they continue. I shall certainly stay there again given the first opportunity.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a harbour view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank brian f
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Everything was a little rushed at reception for check in with a quick explanation of everything but it went smoothly. I did appreciate this as I checked in late but still would have liked some info on breakfasts etc. This info can in the form of the rooms interactive TV (LAVA System) allowing guests to access free Internet, watch movies, send reception and rooms messages, send a post card home and also view the hotels policies and amenities including meal times and gym/wellness etc. The Lava System is a bit sluggish but absolutely manageable.

The room (404 accessed by 'car key') was wonderfully appointed with a huge ceiling (I loved!!!), palace like bed and plenty of space to hang the clothes. Lush heavy curtains, chibby chic bed lights, a book shelf and modern art accompanied by old ornaments really made a warm and unique feeling in the room. After a long day of meetings I did enjoy coming back to it. Mini bar (some aspects free) was extremely well stocked. I always enjoy when hotels have nice toiletries and in this case they use lacataine and plenty of towels so I didn't have to call the front desk (which I often have to do).

Dinner at the hotel was slow and cumbersome by service standards (they where very busy) but the food was of very high standard; fresh tuna, soups, 3 tasty fresh breads. The restaurant definitely ozzed city chic with lots of well clad clients wining and dining. For us the music was too loud (not on the second night) but otherwise the atmosphere was very good. You really must book the restaurant in advance!!

Breakfast was a buffet and very healthy, the service was excellent in the morning. Healthy options included yogurt, fruit juices, fresh fruit and vegetables. 4 selection of breads, three jams, bread spreads, 5 different types of Cereal, warm eggs how you like, salmon, pancakes, omelette, porridge, sausage, bacon and smoothie etc...the breakfast really got me off to a great start to the day.

Spa and fitness facilities where provided complimentary from The Grand Hotel which is 1 minute from the hotel.

The Lydmar is a perfect location for all museums and shopping; everything is within walking distance really. The hotel is 20 minutes by high speed train from the airport and then a 5 minute can ride. Just over 40 rooms part of SLH (Small Luxury Hotel) Brand and you really get that extra special personal touch from the staff.

Sat at the restaurant for a couple of hours drinking tea and catching up on news/emails and the service staff always came and topped up my glass of water and even though the restaurant was getting very busy I didn't feel pressured from the staff to move. We got this completely complimentary which was absolutely very much appreciated after a long day of meetings.

Highly recommended top end hotel with everything you need for comfort, business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Go to dinner in the restaurant but book in advance as the restaurant can get jammed packed!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank europelover26
Reviewed September 19, 2013

From our arrival and having our bags carried up to reception from the entrance to our departure with the same service, our one night stay here was excellent.

The lovely reception staff, helpful with taxis and info, the decor, the art that bedecks every inch of the walls through the 5 floors, and the staff in the restaurant, all with perfect English and welcoming smiles.

Breakfast included a good range of both hot and cold food and was very good value.

The outside cafe/bar was still in operation, just, and maybe for a few days more.

The position on the dockside just across from the Royal Palace is perfect, with some wonderful views.

The double bed was large and comfy, the bath/shower excellent. There is free wifi and the TV is set up with an extra keyboard to operate as an internet enabled device.

All in all we loved it and would return in a flash.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim W
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Welcomed at the door by a sharp dressed man that looks as though he has multiple roles at this hotel, perhaps bouncer/bellcap/doorman. This hotel from the start is very welcoming with a very interesting art exhibit within the walls of its entrance with photographed children in tragedy. The front desk was very welcoming with a excellent breakfast/lounge area with lots of natural light. I was escorted to my room that was like a huge living area combined with a hotel suite. The rooms feel more like your a guest in someones homes rather then a standardized hotel room. The amenities in the room were many to include free movies with a very integrated tv/audio system, ipod connection that will play your favorite tunes over speakers within the room and bathroom, mini fridge overing several selections. The front desk was available with every request and very prompt. The hotel is a sister property of the famous Grand that is next door and you will need to use the gym/pool there as The Lydmar does not have this onsite. My room had excellent views of the waterfront but the service is the highlight of this location, I would stay here again and you should consider this a top selection if visiting Stockholm.

Room Tip: select high floor with water view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business