“Excellent Hostel”
Review of Skanstulls Hostel

Skanstulls Hostel
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is by far the best hostel I have stayed in. We stayed in a double room with our own bathroom which was clean and the shower had amazing water pressure. The rooms are well sound proofed (better than some hotels I have stayed in!). The staff were very friendly and happy to help. The kitchen is well appointed and they provide you with free tea and coffee. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Skanstulls Hostel

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Myself & my Partner & 2 other couples stopped for 2 nights. We were all amazed when we got in there, we were a little worried what it would be like with it being a Hostel! It was easily a 3* Hotel. We had a room with a bathroom, the room wasn't massive but big enough. The bathroom was a good size, and everything was clean. The lighting wasn't great in the room, it was more like "mood" lighting. Could just do with somewhere else to put your clothes, as there was just a rail with 4 coat hangers. We took our own bedding as we didn't want to pay for it. The bed was very comfy!
I arrived at 1:10pm and my room wasn't ready, which was fine as check-in wasn't till 3pm - but my Friends room was ready so we were able to check in to that room. My room became clean about 15 mins later, asked the lady who was cleaning it if i'd be able to have it before 3pm with it being clean now. She was very rude and said "no check in is 3pm". Yet the girl on reception let me - she was so friendly & helpful!!
Would recommend this to anyone! Great value for money & very clean. 3 min walk from Skanstulls station. Plenty to do around!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed in a 12-bed dorm for one night, travelling alone. Very nicely arranged with the walls that is built up around in the room where the beds are, so that you get some privacy. And that they were painted a dark brown was perfect for me who need quite dark surroundings to sleep.

What was missing in my opinion, was more hooks to hang clothes, in more accessible locations. If you sleep in the upper bed, you are left with nowhere to put your clothes and stuff other than the floor, because the hooks for clothing is mounted next to the pillow-end by the lower bed. To walk this close to a stranger (that either sleeps or tries to) feels very intrusive. Also, it would have felt safer to have separated men and women dorms.
I also discovered the need for having a nightstand or some form of shelf to keep my phone, glasses, book, etc. The upper bed is so high from the floor, phones falling from that height will surely fail to wake you up in the morning (ever again).

The showers had a layout that made me quite uneasy, as walking into the women's shower/dressing room was waay too easy, and connected to a hall where free to use computers were located. There was no sense of privacy or safety in the ladies shower room (I showered very fast...), but they were clean enough.

The kitchen was nice and stocked with all you can need. The free pasta/food/tea/coffee was very appreciated!
Nice and helpful staff!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in the twin room with no window. Good location, only 2 mins from the nearest Tunnelbanna (Tube/Metro) station. Right in the middle of Sodermalm.

We checked ourselves in after 8pm using our code already given to us to access the night entrance (after 8pm). The room is fairly small but really fine for two people for a few days.

Kitchen area is slightly small for the number of guests. However the free tea, coffee and dry pasta made up for that. There is free wi-fi and plenty of free computers to us dotted throughout. The showers and numerous toilets were all very clean, modern and there never seemed to be anyone in them!

Staff as polite and helpful with lots of free maps/museum guides available. There was a small library available also.

Overall a good value hostel. This is not a party hostel!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was one of the more expensive hostels we have stayed in, but we had a private double room. Very safe and secure. Had to pass through a special locked area and then a well locked room. Room was very comfortable and clean. We had no windows in our room, but there was a nice wall covering the entire wall with a photo of the Stockholm City Center. This was the nicest, cleanest hostel we have stayed in.

Room Tip: The doubles were rather expensive, but so was everything else in Stockholm. I didn't see the dor...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed two nights in a room with 12 beds traveling alone. It was the first time I shared a room with 12 strangers. I felt kind of old for this of experience, but the price was good and I went to Stockholm just to take some courses during the weekend so it was ok.

I arrived late on Friday and they had prepared everything for me in advance. The place is small, but clean with comfortable beds. You can borrow books and there are computers and wi-fi connection available free of charge.

Very good location near the subway, many shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank fkeml
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed at Skanstulls for three nights, travelling alone. The 4-bed rooms are small and clean, but like most of the hostel, don't get a lot of natural light coming through. The hostel amenities in general are well-maintained, bathrooms and showers were always clean. The staff are some of the friendliest I have come across in a hostel, and are happy to keep your luggage in a locked room before check-in and after check-out if your plans fall outside those hours. There is a common kitchen with a tiny fridge, stove and some basic utensils/crockery, and free tea for all hostel guests.

Each bed in the rooms has a power socket and a bed light. There are individual lockers in each room with padlocks, the keys for which are given to you by the staff along with your room key. There is free WiFi, but it seemed to not be functioning during my time there, it would work only near the reception. Ideally it should work everywhere in the hostel. There are a few communal computers available with internet, and a huge range of pamphlets/maps for Stockholm-based activities.

The hostel is in a great location for travelling into the centre of Stockholm and all around. The area itself is trendy with loads of interesting shops and cafes within walking distance. The Old Town and the ferry docks are a train ride away, that barely takes 10 minutes. Transport to and from the airport is really easy as well, thanks to the Arlanda Express.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo