“We were lost in the shuffle, but the staff tried to make it right” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kaffegillet i Gamla Stan

Kaffegillet i Gamla Stan
Reserve with
Kaffegillet i Gamla Stan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 2,998 Restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: European, Swedish, Scandinavian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Gamla Stan & Riddarholmen
Cabot, Arkansas
“We were lost in the shuffle, but the staff tried to make it right”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We visited Stockholm for a very short visit during a recent cruise. We did the rooftop tour in the morning, and our guide strongly recommended this restaurant. Since I left our Rick Steeves guidebook on the ship, we decided to go with her recommendation and what I remembered from Steeves' hint that daily menus are generally more affordable than a-la-carte.

The first thing I noticed was that not only are the menus printed in multiple languages, the staff can speak them well enough for you to have a meal. I heard English, Italian, Spanish, French for sure, and I think German and of course Swedish. This is definitely a comfortable stop for a tourist who doesn't want to worry about a language barrier.

We were seated immediately by one waiter, but no one came to our table for nearly 15 minutes when a super friendly waitress took our order. As I mentioned, I read daily menus were generally better values, so we each ordered the daily menu with slightly different items.

The appetizers came out relatively quickly after we ordered and were quite delicious. I was skeptical of the reindeer sausage because it resembled a slice of bologna, but it had excellent flavor and paired well with the horseradish sauce.

15 minutes after our appetizer plates had been cleared, the original waiter delivered fresh silverware for our main courses. We wrongly assumed our order was coming soon. I should point out we weren't in some corner; we were literally next to the front door and were passed frequently by wait staff helping other customers. 15 more minutes later a third server (possibly a manager) came to seat some new customers when he asked if we were waiting for our desserts. We said we hadn't received the main course yet, and he returned in about 20 seconds with it. That of course means it had been prepared and sitting forgotten on a counter somewhere. The reindeer filet had a good taste but was cold. My wife asked if it was intended to be served cold, and the server said of course not and offered to re-heat it for us. By this point we had been in the restaurant nearly 50 minutes, and we were afraid to let our plates leave our sight again since the return-to-ship time was rapidly approaching.

Despite the coldness of the meat, the flavor was good, and the potato dish maintained enough heat to let off a little steam. They weren't going to let us be forgotten twice, and our dessert was out less than a minute after we finished our main course. It was truly heavenly, and it's a shame our enjoyment was tempered by the service mix-up and our hurry to return to the ship.

After dessert I stood to pay the bill, at which point the possible manager knocked a significant chunk off the bill without my asking for it. I really felt the service was normally fine in general, but we got lost in the shuffle when the waitress who took our order went off somewhere else. We never saw her again.

Even with the steep discount, the bill was about 90 USD, which is more than double what we felt it was worth., I don't know enough about Stockholm to know if that's normal, but the prices were clearly marked so no one gets the blame for that but me. I read the Rick Steeves book later that night and found he recommends places with menus in the 100-150 SEK range; this one was 390 SEK per person.

I'm not going to give a one-star review for a mistake the staff sincerely tried to rectify, but I will offer some advice: first, read the menus posted outside so that you're sure it fits your budget. Second, if the service seems overly slow you might want to inquire about the meal's status to ensure it isn't waiting on a counter somewhere.

We hope to visit for real someday when we're not so rushed and can try to experience the city.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Euless, Texas
“An Absolute Pleasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

If you find yourself wandering around Gamla Stan and want a really good place to eat and relax, this is the place! Very small and cozy. I believe there are around ten or twelve tables inside on the main floor, three or four outside, and a wonderful area in the cellar among the old arches allowing for larger groups.

The food was very, very tasty and well presented with little waiting, even during busy times. Prices are good (for Stockholm) and the location. Menu is in several different languages. The soups are wonderful and the only desert we had was the carrot cake...don't miss it if they have it available for your visit! Hot wine here on the cold nights in Stockholm were perfect.

What made this place stand out from the others for us was the staff and of course, the owner, Gianni. He can be found by the bar or chatting with guests, and many times opening the door for arriving or departing patrons. The staff consist of young and smiling faces,friendly and multilingual. We asked about the making of one of the soups and were instantly introduced to the chef, who answered all our questions happily, and even showed us some of the "special" ingredients.

The front of the restaurant does not hint at the wonderful place within, but it is definitely worth a visit, if just for a drink or something from the smaller dishes on the menu. Say hello to Gianni, you'll be hard pressed to find a warmer smile in Stockholm!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Steven E
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Friendly service, fairly priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a traditional family restaurant in stockholm and went here after viewing on trip advisor. Food and wine is fairly priced for this expensive city, all tasty and lovely free bread. Service was great too, waitress explained nearly everything on the menu after our questioning. Not the classiest joint but would definitely recommend if you're on a budget.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic food ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

After 2 days in Stockholm finally found a restaurant that not only was value for money. The staff were friendly and professional. The food was really good and well presented. You tell a good restaurant by its clients, if the local community use it then that in my book says that the owners are doing the right that. Thank you for a pleasant experience. .

Pistoia, Italy
“excellent swedish food at affordable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

very nice location and cozy place. Delicious swedish food and plenty of choice in trems of swedish /internation food and wine.

Visited February 2014