“Excellent quirky boutique hotel”

Clarion Collection Hotel Cardinal
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Vaxjo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I stayed for two nights in July for business and loved the hotel. The reception staff were all very informal and relaxed, with nothing too much trouble. The lift up to room 408 (top floor) was an excitement all of it’s own, with the lift-shaft wall being exposed – kids would be dumbstruck. The room door opened outwards into the hallway, which is odd, but maybe normal for Sweden? My first impression was that the room was pretty small, but it was actually quite a cosy size and thanks to the way the seating area and bathroom had been constructed, it was actually much bigger than it looked. The single-bed was perfect, no complaints. The sitting area had a really funky armchair which reclined and was unbelievably comfy. The floors were all solid wood with Arabic style rugs and the bathroom was probably bigger that the bedroom with a great shower. Extra bonus points to the FREE high-speed WiFi in the room which worked great. The breakfast buffet was of a very high standard with choices of cereal, breads, hot cooked, cold cuts, fruit, yoghurts, juices and herrings (yuck!). I didn’t make it to the evening buffet so can’t comment.

To the earlier reviewer who complained about no restaurant after 9pm – can I just point out that the hotel is in the city centre, within stumbling distance of some great restaurants, bistros and bars…

Would definitely rebook and recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JasonLaw_UK

Reviewed April 28, 2011

Our second visit to this excellent hotel, this time just to indulge us a weekend away from home. Just as the last time we were treated very well by the personel. To eat the yummy breakfast buffé and enjoy a very nice (free!!) evening buffé is pure luxury and half of the fun with staying here! We will return soon again I'm sure!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Found the Swedish weather rather on the chilly side, so really glad we hit the jackpot with our choice of hotels! Warm comfortable rooms, extremely friendly and helpful staff, spotlessly clean and located right in the middle of town. I recommend the Cardinal Hotel to future customers.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank notaviking
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Clean but small rooms, very low profile hotel, poor furniture, no restaurant after 9pm

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
kundord, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Cardinal, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2011

Dear Cardinal-guest
I am really sorry that your first impression of our hotel was not according to our ambitions. We have rooms of very various sizes, some spacious, some smaller but cosy. We try to create a intimate atmosphere. Our concept is "feel at home" and offers coffee/ tea around the clock and a complimentary evening buffet untill 9pm every day, which is very popular.
I know that my colleague had contact with you about your room and you moved to a double room the day after. I hope you were satisfied with the "new" room for the rest of your stay. You probably did not have the possibility to experince our evening buffet but I hope that you come back to our hotel next time you visit Växjö. We will do our best ...Welcome !

Reviewed December 14, 2010

What a brilliant stay we had, the perfect ending of our wedding day! Thank you so much for all the extra care we received, your staff is incredible nice and helpful!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank the_august_bride
kundord, Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Cardinal, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2010

Thanks for your lovely words. We really appreciate that and are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We hope you will celebrate your wedding anniversary here every year....

Reviewed October 5, 2010

Really nice place. Not very special, but it was all the small details that made this a place like home. Courteous, helpful staff that let me reprint my boarding card on their computer, free availability of coffee, tea and even cookies, nice buffet, nice sauna, and all for a really affordable price. I was very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank vintiek
Reviewed July 3, 2010

The price of this hotel was half of what I paid for other hotels in Sweden and Denmark, AND it had the most friendly and efficient staff and the BEST breakfast. I also had stayed at another Clarion (in Kalmar) and this was hands-down WAY better in terms of staff, food, value. I highly recommend this Clarion hotel.

The rooms are simple and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel is central (a block away from the station, and in the heart of the shopping area) AND I was able to keep my windows open at night even though my room looked out to the street. And I am a light sleeper. I slept very well at this hotel.

Breakfast had your usual Scandinavian assortment of various cold cuts, cheeses, PLUS they had various herring selections, AND warm options that you would typically find in an American style breakfast. I was also impressed with the mini machine to squeeze your own fresh orange juice. If you don't have time to sit down and enjoy your breakfast, they also have take-away bags/cups available if you need to get going.

Too bad, it was only a one night stay - I would hands down stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vaxjo
PM & Vanner Hotel
Elite Park Hotel
Elite Park Hotel
#3 of 12 in Vaxjo
Kosta Boda Art Hotel

Been to Clarion Collection Hotel Cardinal? Share your experiences!