“Reasonable service, pleasant staff and a better-than-expected experience”

Mando Steakhouse & Bar
Ranked #54 of 1,029 Restaurants in Malmo
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gamla Staden
Reviewed September 12, 2016

Many reviewers have chastised Mando for slow service and obnoxious staff and I must admit it was with some reluctance I decided to chance it last Friday evening.
We were a party of three, I arrived first and was informed that there would be a 30 min wait for the table. I asked if it were OK to take a drink in the bar and await the remainder of my group, and the Maitre'd could call me when a table became available.
The bar area is very cramped, but quite honestly we were not waiting there that long - 15 minutes tops and then we were led to a very nice table outside, right beside the street.
Our orders were taken not long after, and the food arrived shortly after this - definitely within the acceptable waiting times for a restaurant that was clearly busy. The kitchen screwed up our orders a bit though: they forgot the garlic bread starter, and my friend ordered "blue" for his steak, myself medium rare. It seems his was more medium rare and mine blue but, it was decent meat so not a biggie. The salad on the side was a bit of a non-event for me, but the chips, onion rings and steak were fine. The plates were cleared quickly, the waitress asked if we wanted dessert (which also came quickly) and .. believe it or not, paying the bill was also easy.
It could have just been the A-team on Friday evening, but for this visit I was happy with Mando.

Date of visit: September 2016
MandoSteakhouse, Chef at Mando Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2016

Hi!

Thank you so much for your visit even thou you we're in doubt at first. And thank you for this nice review. Glad to hear that you were satisfied whit the visit even thou we messed up your order a bit. We have a policy that if something is wrong with your order we always try our very best to correct the misstake.
The way you describe our restaurant and service feels very accurate and it's the way we see it ourself even though we ofcourse are human and sometimes we make mistakes.

We hope you will be back some day for another nice night.

Jonatan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,216)

Reviewed September 8, 2016

This is a meat restaurant with tradition and you are never disappointed.
In the city center of Malmö you find this busy meat restaurant which has served thousands of persons for many years with good food. You know what you get for suitable amount of money. Lunch time is very busy (11.30 – 13.30).
Go and enjoy

Date of visit: July 2016

Hello!

So glad that you choose Mando over and over and that you recommend us to others aswell. Thank you so much and hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed September 7, 2016

Nice place just in a heart of Malme. Walking distance from Renaissance hotel and many others. Take a table outside if weather good. Pepper steak was good enough. Cocktails - choice of Cosmopolitan, Whiskey Sour not impressed. Beer is preferable here. big portions and reasonable prices. You will await your meal 10-15 minutes depends of free tables around. Bar opened since 1962 (probably) so you shall enjoy music from sixties like Beatles, etc. Enjoy!

Date of visit: August 2016

Hello!

Thank you for visiting Mando Steakhouse (est 1966) and thank you for your review. Glad that you liked the food. Sorry to hear about your coctails. We put a lot of effort into making the absolute best coctails but I guess this time we did not succeed.

Most welcome back.

Reviewed September 4, 2016 via mobile

We came here for dinner and the prices were a bit high (but they always are at steakhouses). Anyways the food was really worth the price. Our steaks were cooked perfectly!

Best Julia!

Thank you for your review and for your visit at Mando.
We only use locally produced meat of finest quality to ensure a great meal for all of our costumers. Glad that you liked what you got and hope you will be back again some day.

Reviewed September 4, 2016 via mobile

I came here at 7pm on a Sunday night, it wasn't terribly busy but there a few there. I was seated promptly and presented with an English menu, the interior is quite 70's in style, but acceptable.

I ordered, but then when the drink didn't arrive I went up and asked for it, the food came a short time later, I ordered a beer along with the 250g steak, salad and fries which also came with two fried onion rings, the food was ok, the salad was more coleslaw than salad, the steak cooked ok, the total cost came to 320SEK (AUD $50) which is probably 80-90SEK too much.... It is just steak coleslaw and chips after all.

At the end of the meal I asked to pay, I know that tipping isn't expected in Sweden but the waiter sure as hell expected a tip.

Hi Robbie!

Thank you for writing us a review. We're glad that you chose Mando while visiting Malmö.
I'm sad to hear that you wasn't fully satisfied and that we forgot your drink. We only use locally produced ingredients of the best quality, therefore the price.
Sorry if you felt pressured about the tip, we give everyone the opertunity to tip even to it's not a must. However is tipping in Sweden indeed expected. The avarage tip is between 5 and 10 %.