“Simple, effective, great location”
Review of Scandic Stortorget

Scandic Stortorget
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Located in the heart of the vibrant Stortorget area of the city this hotel gave us a great base for a 3 day stay in the city. The hotel was good, we had selected one of the cheaper rules so as expected our room was quite cosy and the beds weren't huge but the room served a purpose. The staff were kind and very helpful, offering us suggestions of things to do around town.

The only downside we found was the noise. During the Friday and Saturday nights the partying in the central square went on in to the early hours. This was very noticeable from the room and made sleeping quite difficult. In hindsight it would have been better to join the partygoers than trying to get an early night!

My girlfriend and I loved Malmo. Couldn't recommend it enough in the summer months for fabulous weather, beaches, atmosphere and more. Like all of Scandanavia it is not cheap so come armed with a fair bit of spending money. This hotel gave us a central base camp in this great city and therefore no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stopped overnight due to a business trip and it was a comfortable hotel... Basic furniture but with a good quality sleep! The bathroom is simple but well disposed with basic amenities. The breakfast is good, with good variety of food... The personnel is very kind. I think it's a little bit expensive for what it has to offer. The location is good for visiting the city center.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Great and charismatic - I am not using "charismatic" as a substitute for "shabby". In fact, this used to be called Hotel Anglaise - and you can still read the name on those big brass keyholders you get at the lobby...I think this is first time in many years I got a hotel with a normal key, not a keycard...and this had some warm feeling to it.

Room was small (1 person room), but very functional and clean, modern amenities. Great selection of food for breakfast and very warm service.

Location is very central, and there is plenty of restaurants around Lillatorg to take dinner or lunch.

One note - if you are easily disturbed by noises - right next to hotel there is a nightclub, open until 3am and I could hear house beats in my room on the 3rd floor. Personally, I am not disturbed by this, and it was not overly loud - but if you are sensitive - ask for a room NOT facing the main square.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise - ask for a room not facing main square, otherwise you willl hear the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I loved this cosy hotel in the heart of the city. The rooms and bathrooms were lovely, the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and it was a really great location, near the hub of city activity, restaurants and shopping! Enjoyed the wide selection at the breakfast buffet as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel is well located near the central station in walking distance to the Malmohus and St Petri church. A lovely square is right down the block with lots of dining choices. Breakfast was really good; a buffet with lots of quality choices. The king sized bed was very comfortable. The staff was very efficient and friendly. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I went to Malmo on a business trip. The customer booked this hotel. I really liked the atmosphere, the personnel and the architecture.
For breakfast you have quite a good choice, so nothing to complain about.
Not to be forgotten, it is less than 10min walking distance far from the train station (I experienced it, by carrying a bit suitcase!).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2013

It was very hot at the end of July when we stayed here and we really needed air conditioning and were surprised not to find it. there was no safe in the room either, something we found in all the other hotels we stayed in while travelling around Sweden and Denmark.
When we checked in we were offered a room with a view at the front of the hotel overlooking the square and restaurants or a quieter room at the back. We were glad we chose the quieter room, the restaurants and bars were excellent but I don't think we would have liked to listen to the noise until late.
The room was small but comfortable and the bathroom was excellent. The breakfast was very good but the breakfast room was not big enough and one day we had to perch on bar stools at a high table, not very comfortable!
I discovered that I had stayed in this hotel 45 years ago with my friend and her parents! It was then the Hotel Anglais, which is still the name on the key fobs! I can't really make any comparison as I remember very little about the hotel then!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple