“Something's not quite right here.....”

Good Morning+ Malmo
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Luton, United Kingdom
“Something's not quite right here.....”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Location: easy to find by the highway, but in a residential area, and suspect not the best. Front of the hotel dominated by refurbishment workers dossed out smoking.

Parking: extremely complicated, pay extra for parking, must get code from the hotel receoption. Once in the car park it is difficult to get out as a pedestrian: there is a pedestrian exit but the code pad is so temperamental it takes about 10 goes to get the gate to open. Considering what they charge they need to invest in the car park.

Rooms: ours was newly refurbished in the new Ibis style with wooden floors. Quite nice. However the window was covered by an advert draped over the hotel so didn't really function as a window. I'd rather they didn't do this.

Bathroom: newly renovated and clean. Unusual shower door design. Heating was on in the bathroom and could not be turned off: so unnecessary for August!

Restaurant: the hotel has a large and closed restaurant. Instead a limited range of pre-packaged, expensive, microwaved meals are available. Not much alternative around the hotel.

For a newly refurbished Ibis it is disappointing that the ancillary services are such poor value for money.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
NorseHotels, General Manager at Good Morning+ Malmo, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hello,
thank You for Your review. We are grateful for opinions about our hotel, either they are positive or negative.
It is right that our hotel is under construction and we have, during this year, totally renovated all parts in the hotel. We are very proud to soon have a very nice, modern and fresh product in the middle of Malmö area. There are still some work to do, that is why we have workers and also construction material at some dedicated areas outside and in the hotel.

Concerning our code pad at the parking area, we had a look and have fixed this, though it works with pressing the numbers hard and with slow moves.

The banner which hangs on a small part of our facade, is made in a material which lets air flow through the cloth, so even if the guests open the window, it will be fresh air in to the room.

Our a la carte restaurant is open every night Monday to Saturday until 23.00 PM and on Sundays we have the bar open and offers a smaller menue with home made meals. During the summer period this year, we had fresh sousvide food at Sundays. We have changed this from September.

We are happy to hear that You liked our new style after refurbishment. We are always working to be at best service and the guests opinions are very valuable. I wish You warm welcome to us again.

Susanna Bodi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I travel a lot for work and wasn't able to book my normal hotel as it was fully booked so came here. It is going under reburshisment at the moment but this was not on their website.

The rooms are very basic and while I found it on the whole clean, I found that I had to ask for everything I needed and then a lot of time I the answer was it was chargable.

The service wasn't very good and I had to wait 45 minutes for a taxi although I requested one three times and there were lots coming that morning, just not mine, even when I reminded the reception staff.

There was no air-conditioning in the rooms and the windows would barely open. When I asked for a fan I got a very blank look from reception and then given the smallest fan possible which didn't do anything. I found all the reception staff I met not particulary friendly and they were hard work.

I wouldn't stay here again, you get a much better hotel for not much more money available.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Halden, Norway
Reviewed August 7, 2012

When the hotel is doing a lot of maintaining work. it would be nice is they informed about it on the net. It was not pleasent that when we slept a little in the afternoon, somebody (worker?) just entered the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Zürich
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Rooms were clean but quite ugly and a bit smelly. The bedcloths smelled as if they fell into an ashtray (they propably did). The staff varies: Our checkin lady was neither helpful nor friendly, but her colleagues (later in the evening and the next morning) were.

Ergo: If you spend 10eur more ( and you calculate everything they charge extra in Ibis: Internet, Parking) you can most likely do much better!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
Reviewed July 21, 2012

An above average IBIS located on Stadiongaten outside Malmo City Centre, handy for the nearby FF Malmo football stadium. Good value particularly for Scandinavia i spent three nights here for £44 a night. Rooms are standrd IBIS type, with bed, TV, wardrobe etc with a modern shower. Breakfast is available at extra cost in the restaurant on the ground floor and is buffet style with hot and continental options. The hotel is very close to Malmo's Swedbank Stadium and may attract football fans when Malmo have an home fixture.

The hotel is a couple of KM from Malmo Centrum and the number 6 bus runs from near the hotel to Triangein.

Overall a good value Ibis, no complaints, friendly staff and a good stay.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Peasmoldtown
Reviewed July 17, 2012

In my experience, Ibis hotels in Sweden tend to be a bit more expensive and lower quality than in other countries. But this was a pleasant exception. Actually ALL hotels in Sweden are expensive, so this is not really a valid criticism. You do need to pay extra for the car paring, and the covered garage is even more. It would at least have been helpful to see this as a clear option - with the price - when booking online. LOCATION - Surrounded by dreary 1970s appartment blocks, it's not in the nicest part of town, but the walk to the centre is an easy 20-25 minutes, so it's reasonably well situated. ROOMS - The renovations about which some earlier reviewers complain have at least produced very nice refurbished rooms like the one I was given. VALUE FOR MONEY - Ibis pricing policy is nothing to do with room service or quality, but purely based on how early you book, and whether you do so on a non-refundable basis. This said, I do think it's high time for Ibis to make free high-speed wifi the norm, like most other chain hotels. The hotel trade needs the internet so the favour should be reciprocated! One thing that really irritated me was that, despite my confirmation stating clearly that the room was pre-paid, the check-in assistant asked me to pay by credit card. I obviously refused and asked for the manager, who then backed her up, saying that 'we don't charge your card in advance, whatever it says on your receipt'. My response was that if she felt justified in charging my card I certainly wasn't going to pay extra uo front, and will carefully check my card statement. I have never before experienced anything like this, when checking in to a prepaid room in an Ibis. However, since this is a major chain, I don't think there is anything genuinely fishy going on, just a communications failure between the hotel and the parent company. All the same, it is disconcerting and inconvenient, especially if the card charges that you thought had already been paid start to mount up during a trip. And I WILL check my card statements carefully, of course. <<Ibis, please clean up your procedures. If the confirmation says pre-paid that's exactly what it must be, according to the law>>. On other matters- the beds are COMFORTABLE, the TV channels minimal (but who cares), the breakfast is standard (but still better than in Scandic, a theoretically fancier chain where I stayed the previous night on the trip) and the bathroom was pleasant. Everything was faultlessly clean. On balance, I'd recommend this place, but the management need to sort out the pricing and charging issues promptly, to keep the customers coming and to stay within the law.

Room Tip: go for the high flooor where rooms are refurbished
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stopped over a weekend at Malmo, managed to book the hotel at last minute after considering parking, wifi , location , quality and costs aspect, it was a good decision! The hotel is close to the centrum (3mim drive) with secured parking at a fees (10euro ?), but worth it. A code will use to acces the parking , you can leave through a one way out small gate in the car park to leave the car behind.

The staff at reception is friendly and helpful. Hotel room is clean and seems lime just renovated. The location is quiet too. Therr is bar with tv if you would like to hangout there at night for a drink. Breakfast room is also available but it is not included in room. With the price we pay 57 euro per room we are happy with the choice. I have stayed in many Ibis before so far this is the best.

• Stayed May 2012