“Charming, cosy, good loacation but so so noisy!”
Review of Elite Hotel Savoy

Elite Hotel Savoy
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Upplands-Vasby, Sweden
“Charming, cosy, good loacation but so so noisy!”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stay at this hotel almost every time I'm in Malmö and I must say I love that old charm this hotel has and I always want the corner junio-suites BUT this time I was dissapointed. It was mould in the bathroom and I'm very sensitive to that. I told this at the reception and they immediately sent up a cleaner who thought she had done something wrong but when I showed her the black mould she said she knew about it and that she should tell them again to fix it. The cleaning lady of my room was very nice and service-minded and helped me out on more occasions.
Well, they didn't have any other room I wanted so I stayed. With open bathroom door and open window the smell dissapeared. But it's hard to have the window open especially during summer. It's so noisy with a nightclub across the street playing very loud and people shouting outside the window. I was awaken at 3AM of screaming outside so I had to close the windows but I could still hear it. So a bad night sleep. I did stay for 3 nights but the night between Saturday and Sunday was worst.
Another thing is that the evening I arrived Thursday I had no turndownservice but on Friday night when I got home late I was welcomed with lit lamps, a chocolate on the pillow and I thought it was so nice. But nothing Saturday evening?!? Why is this? Do they only have turndownservice on Friday nights? Strange.
Room 314 is gorgeous, big and with old style furnitures and a great view of Turning torso and the sea.

Breakfast is not as good as it used to be which is sad.

And as many of you have said there's no AC which is strange in a 4-star hotel. Luckily this time the weather was "good" meaning cloudy and rain.

My overall conclusion is that I'm dissapointed and that the hotel must shape up to be in its former glory.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Ok room, holiday temp staff which could be a bit better informed, but overall worth the buck. No valet parking, and poor directions to garage nearby. The piano bar was closed for the summer, but still on the information board.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights here earlier in the month.

A relaxed stay in a well position substantial hotel (opposite the train and bus station) but like me is beginning to show signs of aging and repair. Check out the plaque of who has stayed next to the lift in reception. An interesting mix.

We arrived by car and were able to park outside while we arranged for hotel staff to advise on their own parking arrangements extra cost in a nearby secure building.

The room was large as was the bath/shower ensuite. It was well equipped, smart and had internet access. We had a 5th floor view of adjoining rooftops but with the sun shining this was good (and we were in the middle of the city).The best hotel room we'd stayed while touring Sweden. Reception staff were fluent English speakers who gave a very good impression of a professionally run hotel. We had our breakfast in our room and this was delivered slightly late twice, but by minutes. Food quality was good and plentiful and we received more items than we'd requested (note for Brits - their 'marmalade' is jam).

On the downside there is no direct lift to floors 4 and above, so you get out at 3 and take a trek through corridoors to another lift. Lifts are temperamental and not an effecient experience when laden with luggage. but they get you where you're going - eventually. We reverted to walking down the stairs - lucky if you are healthy enough to do so.

Too often service staff wanted access to our hotel room - 20 minutes after we arrived to check the mini bar, even though the room was ready for us. Staff are polite but speak less English.

The hotel did provide a good stop for two nights and we left refreshed for our journey home. A good stop to tour Malmo and within a stone's throw of the bus and train station with a 50 minute ride to Ystad (home of Wallander).

Room Tip: Note access to floors above the 3rd are via a 2nd lift, so not ideal for the heavily laden, poor of...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
China
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the last couple of years and like it. Environment in the hotel the connected Fils du Rasoir and Bishops Arms is good. It is less than five minutes walk from the train station. Internet is free and fast, breakfast is included and good.
Some of the rooms look a little worn but overall everything is in good shape and the building itself is nice. I personally think the superior rooms are good for me, the delux are not that much better. Breakfast is as mentioned a good buffet with 7-8 kinds of bread, cereals, some hot warm + good cheese and cold cuts.
Service-wise, never any issues for me, overall friendly and helpful. I have also had other co-workers staying there and they have been happy with the service as well.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Hochspeyer, Germany
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I booked a hotel in Malmo because it was a short train ride to Copenhagen, where we were departing from the following morning. Copenhagen is slightly more expensive than Malmo and I was trying to save some money. After looking at several hotels in the Malmo area, I settled on the Elite Hotel Savoy because the rate was fantastic for a family room and it was near the train station (which is across the canal from the hotel). I had read the review from the person who didn't like the extra steps between the different levels of the floors (e.g. you might go up a few steps to one level of the same floor) but I found that gave the hotel character.

The family room was wonderful. The kids were in the "sitting room" but it wasn't partitioned off from the main bedroom. The entire room was very clean and we were on the back side of the hotel, which was quiet. The breakfast buffet the next morning was very nice and had plenty of choices.

I really liked the kids' room between the hotel lobby floor and the first floor. The kids liked the coloring books and colored pencils. I assume that there was a DVD player in the room at one time because there were movies available. My son really wanted to watch Spiderman but the DVD player was removed. So, the kids watched football while coloring.

The hotel WiFi was great. The access expired after three hours. You could get a new code from the front desk afterwards. I would have preferred a longer access period. That's my only complaint.

We wandered around Malmo before dinner and eventually had dinner away from the hotel. The area is very nice and the hotel is a short walk to the "Old City" area. It was definitely a nice, quiet location (compared to if we had booked a hotel in Copenhagen).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Its so close to everything in Malmo. Central station is across the street, Center of the city is around the corner and Lilla torg with all the bars and restaurants in 2 min away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Excellent location - next to Railway station (Actually right outside across the road to Railway station).

It has extremely improved from the last time I stayed there.

Good reception and excellent comfortable rooms.

Rooms are rich and loaded with accessories - have a high speed wireless internet available as part of room.

The only sore point was that probably the house keeping had missed cleaning probably my specific room that day. Since some how there were many traces of earlier guest with empty water bottle on side table, key and small paper on the study table & personal soap bottle in the shower area - So probably cleanliness / room cleaning can be bettered.
For early morning check-out they have sandwich and croissants available however this can be improved a bit.

So for evening arrival in Malmo and leaving early morning to Copenhagen this is the best place to stay if in Sweden rather than going over to Copenhagen city and then coming back to Airport. Since Airport is closer to Malmo than Copenhagen city !

Room Tip: Executive Room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business