“Quite an experience!”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gamla Staden
Description: The long bar, the open kitchen and the incomparable atmosphere greeting guests all comprise at the renowned Bastard on Master Johansgatan 11 in Malmö. Mentioned in the prestigious White Guide and several other awards, this is testament to the quality of both food and service at popular Bastard. The modern European home cooking is the starting point of the cuisine. The preference for local produce from small producers preferably varies Bastard menu daily based on supply and demand. Dishes such as walleye with rösti, tartine with pig side and ragout of hare exemplify Bastard?s varied menu.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I cannot use the name of the restaurant in this review because Trip Advisor will
not let me, which I respect.

We were taken here by our Swedish host. The staff is wonderful and the menu changes with availability from their local sources. We had a wonderful time and everything we ate was delicious. We ordered the B...... Plank and about 6 entrees and everyone in our party of 5 got to try them. One of the dishes we had was veal tail and it was great! Never had that before. We tried so many new things and all of them were excellent. The portions were not large and it was a bit pricy but for a special treat I highly recommend it. It's difficult for me to caculate the price since we had drinks and split the check.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The bar tender was friendly and skillful. The beer off the tap was very tasteful and refreshing. My wife ordered the "apple cider" but it tasted like it was expired, but apparently it was supposed to taste like garbage, so the bar tender gave her another a rose instead. Good customer focus. We ordered food but the servings were tiny and strange. Although very nicely plated, but the food was not tasty. Ordered the 'plank' and disappointed that it was not a 'plank stek' but rather a chopping board with strange tasting aged sausages. Nevertheless, the atmosphere was great, and the kitchen in the center of the restaurant was nicely displayed. Wouldn't go back though if they dont radically change their menu to something tasty and special in a good way.

1  Thank KARINnMICHAEL
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We spent last Saturday evening here celebrating my birthday. I loved the place from the minute I set foot inside. It is the epitome of understated cool in every way. The waiters are elegantly dressed with long black aprons and are extremely knowledgable about the food and drinks on offer. They are attentive and efficient but not fawning.

The interior of the building is a fabulous mix of traditional and contemporary, with an open bar/kitchen area where you can watch with interest. There are places to perch casually with a drink as well as tables to sit at. We were able to sit outside in the courtyard which was just wonderful. It is an eclectic mix of old tables and chairs, herb planters, fairy lights and cobblestones which has a very special atmosphere. There is a bar in the courtyard and high tables to stand and drink at, as well as well laid tables at which to dine.

We took our two well behaved children so booked in early (5.45pm). I wouldn't imagine they are marketing a 'family' image but we were made to feel very welcome and the children were treated with respect.

The menu offered 2/3 starters, perhaps 7 main courses and 4 desserts plus cheese option. There was a good variety on offer. There is also an extensive wine and cocktail list as well as a nice selection of soft drinks. The food was truly exquisite. The quality was outstanding and the portions were decent. We paid £180 for 3 courses each plus drinks, including a cocktail and wine which without doubt represented great value for money.

Above all I loved the total lack of pretension here - they know they are great but they let you find that out for yourself. There was an equally unpretentious and understated mix of clientele, all there to enjoy the experience rather than pose about!

I've eaten at many of the London 'greats' but this topped them all - you should go...........soon!

4  Thank Cannyscotslass
Reviewed May 17, 2013

What a great place to enter. We were told not to go there a friday without a reservation. We did anyway and we were so well taken care of. The Maitre D immediately realised that we were spenders, found nice seats at the Bar, from where we were served by 2 very professional team members. The open kitchen, a cool but bone hard Chef and 4 cooks sweating in front of you, delivering one great dish after another. It's actually worth going to Malmö only to visit Bastard.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had dinner here and I have to say the flavours of the different dishes were excellent. I would say that its quality rather than quanity. Well worth a visit if you like great flavours. A bit on the load side so not for those who like quite. Very helpful staff and great service.

2  Thank WHITEBAY1