“Pure comfort and design inspiration”

Renaissance Malmo Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I dream of a fab­u­lous apart­ment in Europe, a home base from which to absorb all the won­ders of the Con­ti­nent. Usu­ally in this dream my get­away is in Paris, but that may have changed after my recent stay in Malmo, Swe­den. An enchant­ing small city, Malmo has it all – Old World charm, cut­ting edge design, his­tory, shop­ping and excite­ment all wrapped up in a bite sized pack­age. And the inte­rior of my fan­tasy apart­ment now resem­bles the Rosen Suite (Rooms 245 & 246) at the newly-opened Renais­sance Hotel.

This hotel really is swoon-worthy! Vibrant color envelopes you, but never over­whelms. The bed is as com­fort­able as it is beau­ti­ful. The assort­ment of pil­lows includes poly and down, and the dec­o­ra­tive pil­lows in embroi­dered silk (“Ambon” from Osborne & Lit­tle) are purely deca­dent. The enor­mous wardrobe has funky details and looks like it might open into another world entirely. The desk area fea­tures an ergonomic task chair with pearly insets in the legs and an iPod dock.

The Rosen Suite includes a sep­a­rate liv­ing area with two win­dow walls, a pur­ple sofa, two slip­per chairs with ottomans, another tele­vi­sion, desk area, and a sec­ond full bath­room. Did I men­tion the espresso machine?

Let me gush over these bath­rooms – they are under­stated luxury. The Duravit under-mount sink and quartz top (at a decent height), com­bine with the zebra­wood veneer cab­i­netry for a fresh look with all the prac­ti­cal­i­ties. The van­ity area fea­tures plenty of stor­age, ter­rific light­ing and a makeup mir­ror. Aro­mather­apy toi­letries are high qual­ity and have amus­ing names (which I for­got to write down!). The fix­tures are from Hans­grohe, and those sleek mar­ble floors are heated (dou­ble bonus!). A live bam­boo plant and mod­ern art round out the com­fort­ing design.

From our suite, there was min­i­mal street noise and no noise at all from neigh­bor­ing rooms. Smaller rooms in the hotel are equally styl­ish (I peeked around the clean­ing staff). High ceil­ings, exposed beams and columns appear through­out , as befits a repur­posed old building.

The hotel’s pub­lic spaces are so much fun! The din­ing room is to die for — teal leather chairs and dark wood with gor­geous wall­pa­per. The front desk area, lobby, and open con­cept bar are so col­or­ful it makes you smile to see it — unless you are an all-beige fan.

I love this hotel, want to buy the Rosen Suite and bring it with me to every place I travel!

all my photos are posted at: http://exuberanthome.com/ inspiration-renaissance-hotel-malmo-sweden

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed July 10, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a 2 1/2 week tour of Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Iceland. By far the finest hotel on our adventure was the Renaissance at Malmo. The location is right on the main shopping and dining square of Malmo. We traveled via eurorail passes. The hotel is a less than 10 minute walk from the central train station.

We chose the Renaissance for lodging because it is less than 1 year old and because we wanted to use Marriott points. When we arrived at the hotel there was some confusion about the reward points. Marcus Tyszkiewicz, the front desk associate, assured us that he would staighten things out with Marriott Rewards with no worry to us. He did it! As our 5 day stay progressed Marcus and his supervisor, Vanessa Beaten, were total gems. They arranged through housekeeping to have all of our laundry run through the hotel's washing machines. My husband likes to use a balance ball as part of his fitness routine. They got the work-out room a fitness ball. I wanted to scout a shop that sold Royal Copenhagen seconds and overstocks. Marcus mapquested the shopped and then helped me plan the journey by train and subway. Marcus outlined sightseeing activities for us for a full day of activities in Copenhagen. When we asked for an out of the way town to visit Marcus suggested Ystad. Ystad was a lovely shopping and seashore town .. 40 minutes up the coast of Sweden. We loved it! Marcus's smiling face, his thoughtful and on-the-money suggestions and his true desire to please non-native Swedes make me say without reservation that Renaissance Malmo hires hotel experts who are simply the best.

Others have already reported about the high quality of the room furnishings at this hotel so I won't repeat color schemes or amenities. What I will say is that all rooms have generous space to move around. The art, the rugs and the bedding are crisp and colorful. The phones are easy to use. The staff is efficient at putting overseas calls straight through to your room. When you get a wake-up call you get a real live person.

The restaurant is bright and cheerful. We had breakfast in the hotel daily. The hostess greats you with a homemade morning fruit smoothee. The breakfast buffet features hot and cold selections. The bread and pastry selection is extremely fresh and delicious. Many cheeses, meats and fish varieties are offered. Fresh fruit is quite ripe and flavorful. My husband enjoyed daily granola with add-ons of dried fruit and nuts.

Computers for your use are available just off the lobby. There was never a time when I could not immediately jump online to check email from home. Connecting to my home server was a breeze. There was no charge to use the computers. A printer is right beside the computers. There is no charge for printing boarding passes. Paper is in the printer already.

The journey to Copenhagen from Renaissance Malmo is very short. The journey to CPH airport is 2 stops. Once you board the train in Malmo the ride to the airport is less than 20 minutes. The journey to the center of Copenhagen from Malmo is about 4 stops or 30 minutes. Staying in Malmo is cleaner and quieter.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bett6827
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Just a 10-minute walk from Malmo Central train station, this newly opened boutique-style hotel was a pleasant surprise.

Check-in was smooth, friendly and efficient. The decor was a mixture of dark wood, blacks, purples and subdued lighting.

Despite its location overlooking the little square, the rooms are well-soundproofed. I didn’t have time to try the Nespresso coffee machine in the room, as I was only staying one night.

From the I-pod docks to the large Marriott-style bed (with hundreds of pillows), it would be difficult not to have a great night’s sleep in this hotel.

Shower was powerful and products included standard Renaissance shampoo, conditioner, body wash, moisturizer, mouthwash and bath crystals. There was a bathrobe hanging in the closet, but no sign of slippers.

Our VIP guest, who was also staying at this property, enjoyed the hotel as well.

For your next visit to Malmo, I don’t think you can beat the Renaissance in quality and customer service.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Wembleygal
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I am a little late adding this review but I decided to do it because I had a nice stay at the hotel. Yes, it was probably only a week old when I stayed there but the place was well run and in a nice area. You can walk to the hotel from the Malmo Central train station.

The furniture was nice, the bed comfy, and the service was great. About one block away is a town square where there is a ferris wheel and eateries and shopping. It was quiet. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank ScDGal2001
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I decided to go to Malmo for two days of sightseeing before going to CPH for business. I e-mailed the hotel and asked for an early check in since my transatlantic flight arrived at 7:30am. When I arrived at 9am...my room was ready, and the receptionist had my note and was expecting me. Such a nice way to be greeted after a long flight.
When I got to my room, I was so happy. It was a large room with really cool furniture and a great bed. The view was just ok. But this room was stylish but not over the top.
The location, a five minute walk from central station is practically on Lila Torg, the heart of the city basically. A perfect location.
It is one of my favorite hotels in Europe.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank rhartogs
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Stayed one night at the Renaissance Malmo Hotel in mid-May. It was the 11th hotel I stayed in this year, and it was the best.

Although the Hotel is located at a side street Master Johansgatan, it was not difficult for a first time guest like me to find it. It is only about 5 minutes' walk from the Central Station, one block behind Stortorget and tucked at a corner in Lila Torg (the little square). There are many restaurants and pubs at Lila Torg, including a TGI Friday Restaurant on the Hotel's Ground Floor. The little square must be one of the most popular places for people to enjoy alfresco dining in the city. All the key sights in the city are within walking distance from the Hotel.

The reception staff who checked me in was extremely friendly, she must be one of the most cheerful reception staff I had met. She gave me a city map, recommending places of interest in the city and telling me how to reach those places and where is the popular place to dine, all without me asking. A very warm welcome indeed.

I had stayed in about 30 hotels in Europe and the size of the room in this Hotel was by far the largest. The decoration of the room gave a modern and cozy feel. Colourful beddings were provided. That made the room looks like one in a boutique hotel. All the usual room amenities could be found, including a kettle (but no slippers). The room and the bathroom were really spotless. The floor in the room was not covered by carpet, I believe this is a way to allow the house keeping staff to clean the room thoroughly.

The breakfast room is a bit small and dim. The buffet breakfast however offered plenty choices of food, including meat balls and salmon! That breakfast could really be called 'Scandinavian' buffet breakfast and it certainly was the best breakfast I had during my Nordic countries trip. Unfortunately I could not enjoy the breakfast longer as more and more guests were pouring in at 7:00 a.m. and I decided not to occupy a table for too long. The Hotel may have to improve the breakfast area to make the guests feel more comfortable.

I had stayed in Marriott, J.W Marriott and Courtyard before and were surprised to find that the level of service in this Renaissance exceeds its sister brands'. I regretted staying there for one night only (having already reserved a room in another hotel in Copenhagen and knowing that the standard of that hotel would not match the Renaissance Malmo despite charging more or less the same rate).

The Hotel's lobby the room gave me a modern and cosy feeling.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank IPSP
Reviewed May 13, 2010

We stayed at Renaissance for two days holiday to meet friends. The hotel is totally renovated/new buildt in an old house very near Lilla Torg. Very good spot for dining and visiting Malmö.

None of The rooms in the hotel look the same. We Stayed at a "prestige room". The difference from a double room is a little bit more space (if you have children or need an extra bed this room is more spacious) expresso machine, bathrobe and slippers, bathtub, more to chose from lotion/shampoo etc. view to the street (no traffic). if you like the "little extra" facilities and got time to enjoy it i really reccomend this choise. Otherwise the double roon is actually quite the same.

The lounge and bar is designed and cosy with nice chairs and good atmosphere. we ordered a drink there one evening and got nice service. (also not very noicy if you like to take a relaxing discussion with friends) People seems to go there even if they not stay at the hotel.

The breakfast is Lovely!! You can order your own egg from the chef, if you miss something there is good service at place (ive ordered a smoothy and that was quickly arranged ) Dont miss the breakfast and take your time to enyoy!

Overall - nice designed hotel and very nice approach from the staff. One of the best hotels in Malmö?

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends