“Never ending surprises”

Renaissance Malmo Hotel
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We were there 1 night. The position is good as the city center is 3 min walk. Since the hotel is not cheap, it took us by surprise that all tv programmes are to be charged. Also any song we would like to listen. I asked clearly and they answerd - yes, internet is free of charge. But no one said just 700KB - 2 emails. We couldn´t fall asleep cause ca. 11pm we have been listening beats from nearby disco/club whatsoever. Garage that they charge 30 euro is so small, just for small cars and smells. By checking out we realised breakfast is not included in the price. Next time in Malmö this one won´t be my choice for sure.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerSTOCY, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Sladjana,
I am sorry for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us and I hope that you will reconcider for your next stay anyhow.
I admit that our parking lots in the garage are not very spaciuos but most of the lots do fit a normal sized car, the only alternativ is otherwise outside parking in the neighborhood. Mostly free of charge though.
In regards to the TV, we charge for Pay-TV channels but all other channels including radio are completely free of charge. Also for internet we only charge for wider band width and this is stated on the opening page when opening your webbrowser. If you contact us again I will make sure that we will reimburse the fee for internet.
I hope that we will see you again anyhow, and please contact the hotel directly for your next stay and we will help you to a better reservation.
Yours sincerely
Martin Åkesson

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Nice city center location close to the Malmö central train station and very close to "Lilla Torg" in Malmö. Rooms are above the average size of Swedish hotel rooms, bathrooms are tight in size although adequate, and beds are very comfortable. Good amount of space to be able to work in the room. Bar is nice although can take a while for service and even longer for your drinks to arrive, it seems weird that you can't order at the bar and need to order through a wait person who then goes and orders it at the bar. Breakfast was decent although I felt it lacked variety. Would recommend for business or personal travel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank eblac
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The renaissance advertises itself as the best hotel in Malmo , I am not able to comment on many hotels in Malmo but as a business traveler who has stayed at around 40 Marriott / Renaissance hotels in the UK & Europe I would safely put this in the top 3 hotels I have stayed in in the chain and the top 5 of any hotel I have stayed in.

I am a regular business traveler an hotel stays can be monotonous and very much the same whatever country you visit , this hotel however from the staff in the reception to those little extras (fruits & chocolates in your room ) make the stays here incredibly enjoyable .

Great rooms , wide choice of food and drink and the hotel is perfectly situated for travel and to see more of Malmo.

I would recommend you try this hotel if you are ever in Malmo on business or pleasure

Room Tip: Any room allows a great nights sleep
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Johndobey
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The Renaissance in Malmö is a fairly modern hotel where old parts of the building have been kept in a nice mix. The location is about as central as it can get, but even though "Lilla Torg" is the centre of night-life in Malmö, we slept very well all through the night. The rooms are on the small side, especially the bath-room, but adequately equipped. Nice bar and restaurant, but there are many other alternatives near-by as well. Walking-distance to the train-station. Very friendly staff at the reception-desk.

Room Tip: Very quiet when facing the inner courtyard
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gold2004
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Malmo was smaller than expected but with a bicycle you can see all the major interesting sights within a day or 2. The hotel has a superb location in the centre at walking distance to all sights, and there arent many though. It is a great place to stay for visiting the capital of Denmark, Copenhagen, it is an easy and short train ride from Malmo Central Station.

The restaurant of the hotel was superb!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel is in perfect location, five minutes walk from the train station, and few meters from "Lilla torg", the center of Malmö outside life. In few minutes walk one can really go everywhere. The hotel is new (2010 for what I understand), and you can see the attention to details in everything. The lounge bar is really nice, with many people coming there in the evening, the reception is pretty, the corridors new and with a very nice carpet. The room was really nice, modern, big, with a very good bathroom and an excellent bed. We slept wonderfully. The breakfast is big, fresh, tasty... one wants to be there for hours and we were so full that did not have food until dinner. Finally I want also to compliment the personnel, nice, competent and helpful. It is probably the best service I got from an hotel in Sweden and maybe in the entire Scandinavia. And I have been in each possible city of the region in the last years. I have tried also other hotels in Malmö, but this is indeed the best.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alessandr078
Reviewed December 1, 2013

After a three night break to Copenhagen my partner and I decided to spend our last day in Malmo, as many people do. Unfortunately a storm rolled in whilst we were there and the Oresund bridge was closed meaning we were unable to return to Denmark and thus missed our flight home. After some hasty Googling I found the Renaissance hotel and a very courteous receptionist informed me that they did indeed have rooms available so we ventured out in to the storm and found the hotel tucked off a corner of Lilla Torg (a very short walk from the central train station). Sopping wet and cold, we were warmly welcomed and directed to a lovely room on the fourth floor with a view of the courtyard. Although it wasn't massive, the room was the perfect size for the two of us and included a king size bed, chaise, desk, mini bar, LED TV and a well appointed bathroom. The room was very clean and the bed was possibly the most comfortable I've ever slept on, the sheets were very soft and the mattress was perfect - I didn't want to leave! The room was also very quiet despite a howling wind and torrential rain. I would have been very happy to stay there for longer and if we ever return to Malmo then the RM will be my first choice. It is opposite the Master Johan, which was recommended to us by fellow stranded travellers, however the RM was cheaper and will need to be claimed back on travel insurance!

Breakfast was also excellent, with a huge spread of cereals, breads, crackers and toppers, hot options from eggs to pancakes to meatballs, as well as a variety of fresh fruits and juices and all the continental meats and cheeses you could wish for.

During checkout we did see the superior rooms being cleaned which were very large although in my opinion no more luxurious than the standard rooms which felt cosy and homely. I did move some items in the mini bar in order to place our Flodeboller in there but it didn't trigger a charge. One odd note: the place smells amazing! I actually purchased their signature candle, something I would not usually do, but on this occasion the fragrance was so captivating I was glad to bring it home!

Ultimately this was a beautifully designed hotel with lovely arty elements; I understand they have a rotating artist in residence and during our stay the current installation was a giant pink elephant in the lobby, very quirky. Whilst this is perhaps not five star in terms of amenities and services (for example, a spa) it is definitely well deserved of its five stars in terms of services and decor. I am told by friends that the restaurant is also excellent. I would not usually choose to stay in a Marriot however I would definitely consider another Renaissance hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are great value for money and quite spacious - no need to upgrade to a suite unless you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple