“Substandard Service for a Marriott”

Renaissance Malmo Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Bainbridge Island,WA
“Substandard Service for a Marriott”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stay at Marriotts typically 30-60 nights per year, this past year I had over 50 stays at Marriott branded hotels. This hotel has the poorest service that I have ever experienced at a Marriott. The hotel facility is very nice, and the location is great, right in the center of the old city. The rooms are average in size and nicely decorated if you like a modern style. Breakfast was average for a swedish hotel. The rates seem very reasonable considering the facility and the location. The service though is not up to the Marriott standard. We arrived at abut 10:30 PM on a Saturday due to a flight delay, the area around the hotel is fairly busy on weekends so I called the hotel front desk shortly before arriving to ask where we should or could park the phone rang over 20 times - no one ever answered the phone. Ultimately we parked at a garage a few blocks from the hotel and carried our bags to the hotel. On arrival in the lobby found that only one person was at the desk, despite the lobby and bar being full of people. After a brief wait, the desk clerk was available to help us. We had reserved two rooms, and phoned Marriott reservations directly to request connecting rooms since one of the rooms would be occupied by a ten year old. When we talked to the desk clerk, we pointed out that we would were hoping for connecting rooms - he acknowledged and provided our room keys. He also acknowledged that he did not answer the phone when we called, but other than acknowledging it, really said nothing about it - no "sorry" or "I was really busy", just a nod.

So we go up to the rooms and find that the rooms he provided were not connecting rooms, they were across and down the hall from each other. Back down to the lobby, I mention that the rooms he provided are not connecting rooms, again he acknowledges this. Next I say, do you have any connecting rooms. No. They have some single rooms available in connecting pairs, but the second half is occupied. So then I ask if we can just take one room since we are not comfortable leaving our ten year old in a separate room. No - we need to take both of our reserved rooms and pay for them. So then I ask, what about tomorrow? He says, that should be no problem, we can move you to connecting rooms for the second night.

So the next morning, back down to the lobby to ask about any available connecting rooms -it is now Sunday morning in the summer, there are lots of people checking out. In fact there is a line in the lobby of people checking out. When I ask this time, the clerk (a different one), does not even check the computer to see what is available, she simply says - no we cannot move you, there are no connecting rooms available. She does say that there are some rooms available that connect but the connected room is occupied. At this point I gave up. The fact that she did not even check the occupancy indicated that she did not really care to even attempt to help. The strangest thing about this whole experience is the fact that even though we had requested connecting rooms in advance, and both staff members told me that the hotel has available rooms, they chose to provide us with non-connected rooms, and instead put people in halves of the connected rooms who were not using the connected portion. Since the hotel was not full, avoiding this only required a different room assignment but they chose not to do that. I can certainly understand that maybe the first night they had not gotten it right, but with the number of people I watched checking out on Sunday morning, it's hard to believe that there was no way the staff could have moved us to closer rooms - and the fact that the desk clerks were not even willing to check on what rooms had opened up in the previous 12 hours told me that they really just were not interested even trying.

This is a nice hotel, and a good value, and a great location - but the service is terrible. Marriott should some folks to re-train this crew. No matter the question or the request, the answer here is no.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve5052
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Steve5052,

thanks for taking the time and give us feed-back from your previous stay.
It doesn't sound like the service we want to provide to anyone and I do apologize for any shortcomings during your stay with us.

I can assure you that I'll address this poor level of service to the staff. If you consider travelling to Malmö again, please do contact me at Jens.Lyckman@renaissancemalmo.se so we can make up for your previous stay and show us from a better side.

Kind regards,
Mr Jens Lyckman
Renaissance Malmö Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The hotel location is bit inside with many narrow streets to cross.. the hotel rooms were decent..the restaurant is small though with capacity for just about 25..breakfast spread was not good...staff was great..cheerful and helpful..we were part of large group and needed help for laguage... the girls from reception got into action to lift laguage.... seeing this many guests volunteered for help...free WIFI in rooms ..but it was slow... one needs to pay for fast connection...TV had about 12 free channels and then a paid selection of movies and other entertainment...Windows open in sort of courtyard so new view from here.. one ends up seeing another rooms window...that means one needs to up the curtains all the time...the street behind the hotel was full of cafes /bars and restaurants... and was quite a sight at night...really busy with people enjoying...the shopping area is just 200 mtrs walk... Malmo station and tourist attractions also about 2 km... Overall it was a decent deal... value for money for short stay...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Liberty Lake, Washington
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I recently stayed for a week at the Renaissance Malmo. My stay coincided with the Eurovision song competition. The Renaissance is a wonderful hotel that offers an extremely high level of service to it's guests. Every member of their staff was willing to help & it seemed everyone had a smile on their face. The breakfast offered in the restaurant was very good. The complementary wifi was speedy enough to allow for good web browsing. The rooms are very specious & the beds are extremely comfortable. I was first given a room with a view directly onto the Lilla Torg (room 329). This room was amazing....except for the loud music that played well into the night from the club directly below. After a sleepless night, I asked the front desk for a change of rooms to a quieter location in the hotel. They reassigned me to the far side of the hotel (room 250). It was like being transported to another world. While this room certainly didn't have the amazing view of the first, it provided a much more restful night's sleep. The Renaissance is wonderfully situated directly in the middle of Malmo. You will not go wrong choosing this hotel as your home base for a trip to either Malmo or Copenhagen. The Central Station is just a few minutes walk away. The trains to Copenhagen leave every 20 minutes & take 35 minutes to reach Copenhagen's Central Station. While the travel time is certainly more than what you would encounter while staying in Copenhagen, the value you get staying at the Renaissance Malmo more than makes up for it!

Room Tip: As for a room away from the Lilla Torg if you require a quiet night's sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JHBingham
Czech republic
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel is located right in the center so when coming by car it takes some time till you get there as many streets around are closed for cars.
Inside the hotel looks very nice and stylish. In my opinion the rooms are quite large, at least our room was not small at all. The room itself is also nicely designed.
We were staying just overnight, but did enjoy it.
The only thing that could be improved is a brekfast, I would expect something better for such nice hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobcz
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I always enjoy returning to Malmo and staying at the Renaissance Hotel. It has been given high reviews by other Tripadvisor reviewers and for good reason. This hotel sets a very high standard of comfort without excessively high rates. The rooms are rather spacious by European standards, and they are especially clean and modern. I definitely appreciate the hardwood floors and the very modern bathroom fixtures. The lobby bar and restaurant are small, but intimate. And the buffet breakfast and dinner service represent a high standard that one would expect in Sweden. I highly recommend the Renaissance Hotel in Malmo. The staff is very cordial, the rooms are comfortable, the food is good

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the north side of the hotel, as the street is very quiet. Also if a view is no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lewis D
Virginia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Renaissance in Malmo is a nice property conveniently located to the train station and most of Malmo's main sites. The lobby area is small with not much room to stand. There is one check in and check out desk with, at most, two people working. The floor common areas (halls) were somewhat outdated, but the rooms were well appointed and clean. The bathroom was fairly large with a shower on the side. Again, it was very clean. My main complaint was the music from some club that went on late into the morning. A steady thump thump thump could be heard with music interspersed. This seemed to be a problem for all street facing rooms. We were on the first floor, but I can imagine it would be any different higher up. We stayed Friday - Saturday, so I'm sure that didn't help. If you can avoid street facing rooms, do so - there wasn't much to look at anyways where we were positioned.
The breakfast in the restaurant was fairly decent. It wasn't too highly priced (around 27 euros I think) for the amount of selection they offered. Multiple cereal, yogurt, breads, meats, cheese, and juices were offered. There was also an omelet station with pancakes and waffles. Eggs, sausage, bacon, and other hot foods were also offered.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear MCBMD,

thanks for taking the time to write a review about our establishment.
As you mentioned and discovered, we are in the very city centre of Malmö, restaurants, bars just around the corner, for your next visit please let us know and we'll allocate a room towards our yard or not facing Lilla Torg.

Kind regards,

Mr Jens Lyckman
Renaissance Malmö Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I work on Malmo every month and usually stay out by the sports stadium. I've never really liked Malmo but now realise I hadn't seen the nice parts :-)

This hotel is very clean, the room was very spacious, especially by Swedish standards. The decor was modern dark browns, burgundys and wooden floors which is pretty typical these days but still the room was impressive with a guilty king size bed that was very comfortable. No real view but that was fine. Also appreciated the iron and ironing board. I get fed up having to walk with my shirts to stand in line to iron in a room with other guests.

Only had breakfast which was good, great buffet selection with eggs made to order.

Altogether a great 2 nights. Will Definitely make a point if trying to stay again.

• Stayed June 2013