“Perfect Hotel from Sunday - Thursday - avoid the weekends!”

Renaissance Malmo Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed a full week at the Hotel. After reading the comments we asked a quiet room which we got (towards Isak Slaktaregatan) but not Courtyard. All perfect, except on Friday and Saturday nights, when the Music of the bar was heard through the air condition System. Being the ESC in town, the Party went on on Saturday night until 3 am. I do not want to repeat, how much this "ESC Final night" cost. I don't see the Point, why a bar in a 5 - star Hotel has to Party until 3 am as usually, People staying in that category of Hotel wish to have it rather on the quiet side. Also seeing the rate we paid for this Special week, it was rather disappointing, that on Saturday and Sunday, breakfast tables were not ready. You had to take your own knife and fork and no linen napkins were available, coffee was not served to the table (as they do Monday to Friday morning). If asking Special high rates, the Service included should also be Special high and not average or as usual.

On the top side, the staff always was very friendly and helpful. Great breakfast and nice rooms!

Room Tip: Courtyard room!
1  Thank SwissTravelAgent
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear SwissTravelAgent,

thanks for leaving some feed-back from your past visit.

It was indeed a hectic period for the city of Malmö, its restaurants, bars and hotels, which culminated with the Eurovision Song Contest Final on the 18th of May. In order to give the best and smoothest service for all our guests we decided to extend the opening hours for Rosen Bar & Dining until 3 am (normally until 1 am), as well as a more "self service"- oriented breakfast for cutlary and cups to minimize waiting times on tables, we can only apologize if this didn't meet your expectations.

Despite our shortcomings we hope you enjoyed part of the festivities and you are longing to get back to Malmö and our property, if so please don't hesitate to contact me and we'll make sure to allocate a more quite room.

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

This is just a fantastic hotel, there is no other way than giving it top rating. My second time in this hotel and it has all you can expect, including design, unique rooms, top location, comfortable beds, fantastic breakfast, nice bar and a welcoming atmosphere. Go to Malmö and Sweden just to stay in this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Svisse,

wow, thanks for your nice comments, our week couldn't have got off to a better start!

Hope to see you back in Malmö and at the Renaissance Hotel in the near future!!!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Bravo, the Management has really done their homework. It's a hotel that stands out by its standards and hospitality. Rooms are not smashing or innovative but very comfortable and very functional. We stayed at 6th floor vs the back yard.
Breakfast was good, and even with a probably fully booked hotel you felt well.
All team members presented a great, friendly and effective attitude. Best hotel in Malmö ?

Dear TangStockholm,

thanks for staying at our location in Malmö, and thanks for your nice comments!

Please return asap!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have only been here for 16 hours, but so far, I have to say I am unimpressed.

Reception:
Arrived at this hotel last night. Got a very cold welcome from the front desk clerk. Not very friendly at all, which isn't a big deal to me, but given the other reviews I was rather surprised by his indifferent attitude. To make matters worse, he put me in a handicapped room (I am 27 years old and a platinum member--not sure why I got stuck with a handicapped room) without even asking if that was okay. I specifically wanted a tub so I could take a bath after a long day of traveling, and instead ended up with a shower only that leaks everywhere. Despite being a platinum member, the clerk tried telling me I would have to pay for breakfast. He did not offer me a platinum amenity. Only after I opened an envelope he gave me did I see the amenity card, which if you open it in your room, you have to come back downstairs to drop it off. I don't understand why the clerk doesn't give it to you directly. Finally, I had two big suitcases which were not easy to lug. There was no bellhop or offer to help with the bags. Not sure if they even have bellhops at all.

Room: The room would be great (nice furnishings, good size) except it is handicapped, which is REALLY annoying. I don't understand why they would put me in such a room, especially without asking first. I am here for four nights, what if someone who actually needs a handicapped room comes along?

The internet is PAINFULLY slow. I selected the fastest option (which normally would cost a lot of money, but free because of platinum status) and it is crawling. I cannot imagine how slow the "free" option is. I was unable to make a call using Skype because it was so slow.

Bar: In my welcome envelope was a coupon for a free glass of wine, beer or soda at the bar as well as a free snack. Nice touch, but definitely does not make up for the lack of a lounge. The "snack" was definitely that--you get a cup of 6 or 7 olives OR a cup of cheese blocks. I guess its good to have something to munch on, but definitely don't count on it as anything substantive. Also, drinks are expensive. There is a concert going on in the city right now and the bar had a drink "special" price of about $17 US. Yikes!

Breakfast: Breakfast was a ZOO! Not enough places to sit, so the hostess directed me to eat breakfast sitting on a couch (with a coffee table) in the lounge area of the bar. Real classy. They ran out of clean glasses as well so I had to reuse my orange juice glass for water. That wasn't a big deal but still for a full service hotel it was rather inexcusable. Coffee is not self-serve--they bring it over to you in a carafe that is only half full. When I had gone through the carafe I could not find anyone to refill it.

Location: I think the location is great for Downtown Malmo attractions. Short walk from the train station, and easy connection to Copenhagen Airport.

Overall, the property is nicely refurbished, but they definitely need to work on the service aspect of things. If you are an elite member, I would recommend staying in Copenhagen instead.

Room Tip: Don't get a handicapped room!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chris B

Dear Chris B,

thanks for your extensive feedback here on Tripadvisor.

As you noticed it was a hectic period for hotels, restaurants, bars and shops in the city of Malmö as we were hosting the Eurovision Song Contest (which happens about every 20 years, if we are lucky) final.

As for the service, this will addressed to the head of departments immediately, as for the room that can be used for a disabled guest, your comment makes me a bit sad, both in respect for people that are physically challenged and also for our product which I personally think are among the best in the city, the only difference is the size of entrance to bathroom and "help" surrounding toilet. I know that you spoke to our Front Office Manager regarding bathtub, however all rooms with this feature were taken and from your reservation we could not see this request.

I realize that our product is a bit smaller than the average Marriott hotel (128 room property)and that the Executive Lounge option is not there, if the routines are failing regarding treatment and vouchers we'll definitely look into it .

Prices in Sweden are generally a bit high, a cocktail of 17USD generally a bit low.

We'll look into our shortcomings and hope to improve them as much as possible!

Kind regards and once again thanks for reviewing our property,

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We recently spent a night at the Rennaissance, and I must admit I was a little disappointed. We came on a daytrip from Copenhagen, and arrived early (12ish) to the hotel to drop off our bags. The room wasn't ready, which was of course fine given the 3pm check-in time, so we went out and explored the city.
At 14.40 we were in the neighbourhood again, and dropped by to hear if the room was ready. Unfortunately, it wasn't, so we went back to Lilla Torg and had a coffee, then came back 15.10. Still, the room wasn't ready.... This time, the receptionist called hosuekeeping to ask about the room, and told us we could wait in the lobby. At 15.40 she finally had the room ready for us.
If the check-in is 15.00 and you know your guests are already in town, please have the room ready!
Also, the receptionist had already asked a couple of times if we still wanted a quiet room, and we insisted we did, and would rather wait than be assigned a different room. When we got to our room, we realised it was facing the street, but a back street away from Lilla Torg, so we assumed this wouldn't be a problem regarding noise. Unfortunately. we were both awoken at 01.30 in the morning by the disctinct thump-thump of a disco, and while trying to go back to sleep were kept awake by the noise of people walking by in the hallway...
At check-out, the receptionist asked if we'd had a nice stay, and I told her of the noise issue. She obviously didn't know what to say. Point: If you're not prepared to take feedback, don't ask for it.
We were staying with our 2-year old son, and when we came down for breakfast in the morning the staff simply pointd us to a seat. No babyseat offered, or even an indication as to where it could be found. A small gesture, but it makes a difference when travelling with small children.

On the plus side: It's a nice and updated design hotel, with comfy beds and a good size rooms. Also, it's very conveniently located. Breakfast was very nice, with a wide variety of choices.

All in all, wouldn't recommend it for families.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtside room, not just a quiet room!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank pheegee

Dear Phegee,

thanks for taking the time to review us here on Tripadvisor. I do understand your frustration regarding the room and especially not being helped with a chair for your child in the morning.
We always try to put families away from rooms towards Lilla Torg and the more busy side of the hotel, preferably facing the courtyard. Why this didn't happen with you I can only apologize for.

Please contact me next time you are visiting our city, so we can treat you to a better stay!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

stay for just one night and had a great experience all the way through. the quality of the rooms is good and well maintained - we had a minor issue with the TV but this was promptly solved. Cleanliness was good and all amenities were avaliable.
Breakfast was on a good level but seating is slightly under dimensioned so it makes sense to actually time your visit to the breakfast restaurant around the "rush hours".
Can recommend this hotel - even beats the Mariott in Copenhagen in my opinion

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Lacourtravel,

thanks for your kind comments, highly appreciated!
Welcome back to the city of Malmö and the Renaissance Hotel.

Renaissance Malmö

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed in Malmo and Copenhagen and liked the Renaissance in Malmo better than the Marriott in Copenhagen. Both are nice. Neither is outstanding. Malmo is less expensive.
Executive lounge in Malmo not much. Room nice, but noisy near the elevator or outside restaurants. Good location - walking distance from train station, near the central square and several restaurants. Service is good and trying harder.

1  Thank RobReno
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to re-view our hotel.

As our establishment is a 128 room property only, we unfortunately don't have an executive lounge, would have been very nice, but no space available. We do hope you enjoyed our Rosen Bar and other nearby restaurants, we are indeed in the middle of the city with walking distance to all type of venues and restaurants.