“Modernized yet in keeping with history”

Renaissance Malmo Hotel
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Malmo
Fort Myers, Florida
“Modernized yet in keeping with history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed several days here while enjoying events leading up to our son's wedding which took place in Skanor. This was a restored old hotel which kept it's charm. We liked it because it is a Marriott Hotel. It was very conveniently located and we loved Malmo.

Room Tip: If you like old world charm, this hotel is great. The rooms were very varied in size and shape with...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hednwest2
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thanks for reviewing our property, glad you liked it and hopefully you'll return for another occasion soon.

Renaissance Malmö Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Scandinavia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked an early booking internet rate room. De Luxe room. Great price! But... it kind of added up. Bathrobes not included. 9 euros for each bathrobe. Breakfast was included in the price but if you wanted it served at your room you had to pay for it once again. Full price. I am more than willing to pay much for room service but paying for breakfast twice + the room service fee felt a bit too much. We still did it but the breakfast that arrived was cold and had apparently been standing around for at least an hour before serving. The selection was good, but the quality poor. The room itself was lovely but the lighting almost nonexistent. The staff was very sweet but felt unprofessional and didn't seem to know the how the place worked. I find it very strange that this hotel has been rated No 3 in Sweden.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to rate us on tripadvisor.
I definitely need to take a closer look at the things you mention (service and breakfast related), room service is however operated like most international hotels.

Please mail me at Jens.Lyckman@renaissancemalmo.se for your next Malmö visit and I can assure you we'll do our utmost to change your view of our hotel.

san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I spent two and a half days each in Malmö & Copenhagen as part of our honeymoon in January of 2013. We started in Malmö since it was the weekend and room rates were cheaper than on the weekdays. This is contrary to what we were used to in the US as room rates are more expensive on the weekend. It seems like most people travel on business in Scandinavia which may be why. Deluxe room rates at the Renaissance were around $150 but I was able to find it for $125 when I booked it last June. This also included the breakfast buffet for my wife and myself which is around $25-$30 each.

Location is very good in the northern part of Malmö. Malmö central train station is less than a mile away and taxi fare is $10-$20 to/from the hotel if you have a lot of luggage. Once you step out of the hotel you are nearby by tons of stores, restaurants and coffee places. Malmö Castle/Museum is also not too far away as we walked over to it. Most people walk or bike, you don't see many cars around. It's a nice place to walk around at night as the area is lit up with lots of decorative lighting. We walked farther south on the last day and the area wasn't as nice as where we stayed at.

We had dinner at the Rosen Bar inside the Renaissance the first night. They had a DJ there since it was Saturday night. My wife and I both ordered the veal burger which is one of their signature items. The burger & fries were unbelievably yummy. Drinks were also excellent and it was a really wonderful dinner.

Rooms were very quiet, we were not disturbed by any noise and saw one person on our floor when we checked in during our entire stay. My wife also liked the interior of the room. Rooms were also very clean.

Front desk was pleasant. We were thirsty and asked for a pitcher of water so they brought us one from the bar. When leaving we called their delighted to serve service to call a cab and it was out front before I could finish checking out. If there was one thing to note they did not always have someone at the front desk. Most of the time they were in the office behind the front desk or doing something. This didn't affect our stay but something I could see with other reviewers. Perhaps that is on the weekend when it is slower.

The buffet was really fresh & tasty with a nice variety of foods. The only buffet I enjoyed more was the Radisson Blu Waterfront in Stockholm during my trip which was probably because of the donuts.

We enjoyed just about everything in Malmö. The hotel, food, activities were all such a great time. We would definitely come back here on the weekend if we had the chance and their prices are still reasonable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shaun s
Wow! So happy to read your review!!!
Thanks for all the kind words. Hope to see you back in the near future!

Edinburgh, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend in Jan 2012. This hotel was a great choice - very new and modern. Great staff, nice bar area and excellent breakfast. Free wifi too. Just a short walk from the railway station and just round the corner from the main square. Our room had a shower, no bath, so maybe specify if that matters to you.

Breakfast buffet was plentiful and good; staff helpful and courteous. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks for your nice comments!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had an amazing experience while in Malmö and this hotel is centrally located, priced right and a very trendy way to top of a stay in Scandinavia. The rooms are lovely and very well appointed. The beds were the best I encountered throughout Europe. The staff were fabulous and were catered to our every need and went the extra mile to make sure our stay was comfortable. The breakfast is splendid and totally worth it. If you're in the mood for some more American-style food, it's right next to a TGI Fridays.

Room Tip: The hotel can be a little maze-like, so try and ask for a room near an elevator as it can be very di...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for your feed-back and nice words!

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Late night Sunday arrival - had to wait 10 minutes for someone to come down to reception at 22:00 to check in. they did apologise so no big deal. I'd requested a high floor room away from the lifts and got a high floor room away from the customer lifts but opposite the service elevator used by housekeeping.... It was late and I didn't reject it and it didn't end up being a problem as I left early in the morning.

Room OK but a little tired, overall nothing too special and I wouldn't rush back. Nothing terrible, but nothing to right home about either and expensive for the money (but then again everything is in Sweden!)

If I was going again i would try the other Trip Advisor top hotel next door, who also lend out bikes for guests which I thought was a nice touch as I walked by it to get to this property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DepDawg
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thanks for re-viewing us on tripadvisor, I do apologize for the inconvenience upon check in.
As you might have seen we do also have the bikes for rental (although outside by the pedestrian street).
Once again, thanks for taking the time and we do hope you consider us next time you travel to the city of Malmö.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am a regular business visitor to Malmo - having completed over 15 trips alone in the last 8 months. The Renaissance in Malmo is a terrific place to stay, the rooms are beautifully decorated, all modern-styled but each with their own individual character. The staff is always very friendly and accommodating to any requests. The breakfast serves high quality hot and cold buffet style food. The hotel is situated in a perfect location, right on the main little square (Lilla Torg) in centre of town, excellent choice of restaurants and bars are only steps away. The main railway station is also not too far - about a 10 mins walk at most.
The only gripe I would have about this hotel is the speed of the free WiFi option in the rooms - too slow for normal use, I normally have to upgrade to the faster connection for a more comfortable web-experience

Room Tip: The prestige rooms offer complimentary robe and slippers plus a Nespresso coffee making function.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Veks
Jens L, General Manager at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thanks for your posted comment here on tripadvisor, will for sure bring up the internet speed with our partner company directly after the Holidays, thanks for bringing this issue to my attention.

Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!