“Nice stay, comfy bed!”

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Nice stay, comfy bed!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and the rooms were great - very clean with a small kitchenette. The hotel is centrally located so you can easily walk into the town, it's a bit of a longer walk to the beach but walking through the middle of town is lovely. Breakfast was great - plenty of food to accommodate dietary requirements like soy milk, gluten-free bread etc. There were 5 kinds of yoghurt! Plenty of juice, bread, cheese, hot options, cereal (although I couldn't spot any regular milk - I probably just missed it). The hot chocolate from the machine was amazing. The checking in and out was super quick, and the staff were very friendly. The only slightly strange thing was that there was a kettle and a coffee machine, but no tea or coffee in the rooms!! Also our room was on the ground floor with huge windows by the main road, so we kept our curtains shut the entire time. It was still a very quiet room, comfy beds and good facilities. I'll definitely stay again and recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Brisbane
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It's difficult to work out how to rate this place. It was clean, simple, close to the centre, and we weren't kept awake by traffic noise or people in other rooms. So if I were to rate it on those things I'd probably give it four stars. However, there were a few things that didn't really work for me. The hotel seems to be aimed at young families, so breakfast was a bit like eating in a very large kindergarten. It was busy and at times noisy. For me personally, the breakfast wasn't that great. At first it seemed like there was a lot of choice, but there were no bananas, no soya milk, no toast, and the pre-cooked scrambled eggs were watery a lot of the time. For Europeans all the cheeses and hams were probably great, but I found it very average.
In our room, there was a microwave, but no bowls or dishes or knives and spoons, so while there appeared to be a 'kitchenette', you couldn't actually prepare any food in it. There were cups, so we made cups of tea and coffee, but there was nothing to wash up with, and the cleaning staff never washed our cups or took them away -- not sure what we were supposed to do there.
The other odd thing that happened while we were there was that I asked at reception where the guest laundry was. I was told it was on (let's say) the 6th floor. So I took my bundle of clothes and got in the lift. There was no 6th floor button. I went back down to reception and asked again, where I was told I had to take a different lift at the back of the hotel. (Surely they could have told me this the first time?) I got out of the correct lift at the 6th floor and there was absolutely no signage - just a whole lot of blank doors. I asked a cleaner where the guest laundry was and he told me it was in the basement. I went to the basement - there was a gym but no laundry. I can't remember how I eventually found the laundry but it took quite some time. Note to hotel: put up some signs in the lifts and corridors and on the door. It can't be that hard.
This isn't a bad hotel. You'll get a decent night's sleep there. It's just not a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
north yorkshire
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here for four days with work for a conference. After traveling for over 12 hrs we arrived and the room was not ready but we were able to store our luggage in the luggage room free of charge.

Staff were helpful and friendly fairly quick check in, we arrived at a busy period so there was a bit of a wait.

Large reception with complementary tea, coffee, hot chocolate. Small choice of sandwiches and sweets but very expensive.

The room was lovely large airy and light with plenty of storage, we were delighted that there was small kitchen area, with coffee machine, microwave, fridge, cutlery, corkscrew etc.

Bathroom was a wet room we had to ask for extra towels but they came very quickly. Shower powerful and hot. Good storage, TV, and phone. Plenty of plug sockets.

Breakfast was lovely plenty of choice, hot, cold, pastries, meats, cheese, juices etc.

Overall very pleasant stay, close to the centre and to the conference arena we were attending.

Malmo on the other hand very non descript city, very expensive and not a great deal to do or see.

Room Tip: Ground floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is the best hotel where we stay but only for 1night on the way to Kopenhagen.Room was large it was a familieroom and the bed very comfortable.We got very good rate.The breackfast is superb.Staff friendly and helpful so we were happy. We will stay again in this hotel.

Room Tip: Familieroom are very good
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Helsingborg,sweden
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Went to Malmö for a weekend getaway, called the hotel the same morning and got a good rate over the phone. Our room was on the top floor with view over the the bridge and of course the sound. Room was large and spacious, bed very comfortable, bathroom kind of small with a hairdryer that probably was over 20 years old, didnt work very well. Large selection of breakfast items (Buffet) but the area was very crowded, there was a long line of people waiting to be seated.
The hotel is very central, close to shopping, restaurants etc. Really nice gym.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Son getting married in park nearby and we wanted central quiet location with comfortable facilities for a 6 night stay.
Facilities clean and good and staff were friendly and helpful so we were happy.
Only criticism is that many families with small children at breakfast crowded the place and there were insufficient seats for the many people.The staff was also in insufficient numbers to keep buffet topped up and tables cleaned promptly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Our experience did not start well. Despite arriving after the announced check-in time our room was not ready and we were informed that there were several other families waiting for rooms before us. The explanation was that the hotel was full? Anyway, the room became available relatively quickly without too long waiting time.
Arriving in the room we could see that it was not equipped with the baby cot which we had ordered. I called the reception and they informed me that they had prioritized to make the room available and that the cot was on its way. As it was still before bedtime and we were heading out it did not matter. However after arriving to the hotel again some hours later I had to contact the reception again. This time the babycot was delivered.
The room (family room) was spacious equipped with double bed, sofa bed a small kitchenette. It was clean and simple. No fancy decoration but very functional. A strange thing was that cleaning dishes is not made during your stay. Another not very nice touch was that our kids sleepwear was just thrown on the chair by the cleaning staff.
Location of the hotel is great with easy access to the main shopping area of Malmoe. Just 2 blocks away from the main shopping street. There is a big parking garage just across the street from the entrance so parking is very easy.
Breakfast in Scandic is usually good. This time I was a bit dissapointed. We stayed three nights. First morning we arrived in the worst rush. Problem then was that there were no seats available in the underdimensioned breakfast room. Many people waiting in line and eventually we had to be seated in the reception bar on another floor. Second morning we arrived late. Plenty of tables available but with dirty dishes everywhere as the staff could not make them ready in time. Also, at this time the buffet started to get finished. The third morning we were there early and then it was OK even if I remember the selection to be better in Scandic hotels.
When I read through this review I can see that it seems kind of negative. However I do think that Malmoe city is a practical choice for families with small children. It has a good location and a competitive price. If you do not have small children I would recommend to find other accomodation.

Room Tip: Family rooms are simple but spacious.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family