“Excellent”

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

As a local resident having visited the Sun previously over quite a few years it was a breath of fresh air to have lunch here. The guy behind the bar who took our orders was cheerful and helpful discussing the various real ales, and as we had family staying from Australia we all had a good lunch. Prices were very good and food excellent. (Aussies are very particular ) Yes it was Pub Grub but very well presented and tasty. Its not a 5 star michelin restuarant but as a local friendly home-grown pub it is great. We will certainly be visiting again. Good luck to the new owners.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Magssie2

“Excellent Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I visited The Sun yesterday for Sunday lunch and I have to say it was excellent. I had the beef, my husband thoroughly enjoyed the lamb. The new owners Paul and Andrew have worked tirelessly to transform the pub with new decor, a good value menu and a lovely atmosphere. Definitely recommended, will be back again.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank JackieOakham
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Gave it a chance”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We have been coming to this pub for many years, sadly in recent times it has lost its way from the glory days of John Berry and Frank and Sylvie, due to the credit crunch etc, but always had pretty decent meals here, and now with the 2 new young chaps running it, the old "Fun Sun" seemed to have developed a new vigour and flamboyance, with re-decorating going on, a man tidying up the garden, and a menu which on the face of it seems to offer very reasonably priced pub grub. Sadly as we were to find out the quality of some of the food was abysmal, different dishes combined well cooked good quality ingredients but with corners cut on the same plate to turn a profit, I suppose because they have under priced their menu. We don't all want a gastropub experience by any means but this stuff makes your standard wetherspoons look like a michelin starred establishment by contrast, beer battered fish and chips at £6.95 sounds a good deal, and for that money I wasn't expecting the "Catch of the Day" but it looked reasonable on the plate, nice triple-cooked chips, peas, a ramekin of tartare, lovely crispy batter ... hiding an inedible piece of grey snot-like fish which was absolutely vile. As I attempted to devour this insult to my tastebuds, (and I am not fussy by any means) My wife and I were able to watch a BBC24 breaking news bulletin about a rapist, on a newly installed microscopic lcd tv, crudely attached to the picturesque inglenook fireplace; maybe they do aspire to being a miniature Wetherspoons, but with food like that and the Kronenbourg Lager at four quid a pint they have some way to go. The service was friendly, efficient and polite, although the woman at the bar didn't ask whether the meal was to our satisfaction, maybe she has been trained not to in case someone complains. For a poor meal at a low price I couldn't be bothered to make a scene, lesson learned,I will simply not eat there again. I would rather have paid a pound or two more and enjoyed it.

4 Thank Rutland_Puma
Oakham, United Kingdom
“what a shame”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Having used the Sun regularly , we gave the new owners a try, we had a very poor Sunday Lunch soon after they took over, and giving the benefit of the doubt that this was perhaps just a one off, we had an evening meal, but were very disappointed, the menu is sparse,the meagre steak and even meagre serving of peas, together with the smallest sachets of mustard its possible to obtain,there was no choice of potato, its chips or nothing, this is such a shame, its the only pub in the village, no one expects Michelin Star food but surely to cook a meal as good as you would have at home is not that difficult to get right, the prices are reasonable, but the food is certainly not.

3 Thank rick10002013
“Very friendly.”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Must have the 'mamma g's pie' traditionally home made,unlike what you get in the pubs nowadays! People are very friendly & very reasonable prices,definitely come back.