“Great hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gavle
Orebro, Sweden
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is one of few hotels in this part of Sweden that I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone. It´s incredibly clean, friendly and couldn´t be more central, right next to the main square in Gävle and there is street parking across the street. The staff is well trained and unusually attentive, check-in was swift and pleasant, as was check-out where the staff even remembered us from the day before and that we had paid on arrival - excellent. The only down side was all the families at breakfast making noise and chaos - but there again breakfast was served during four hours, unbelievably good service!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

I travel extensively in Sweden and this is my favourite hotel outside Stockholm. I've stayed here a few times, the latest stay in early August 2012.
The dull 70's exterior might give the wrong impression of this fine hotel. The beautiful rooms were refurbished a few years ago and are really big for Swedish standards, especially on floor 3. The interiors of the rooms are classy and well worth the hotel's 4 stars. Friendly staff and excellent restaurant, probably Gävle's best. Not the cheapest but with high ambitions and the chefs do deliver the quality the prices demand. Large breakfast buffet that won't leave anyone disappointed and excellent location in central Gävle one block from main square.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Busse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel about six times but this is my first review on this hotel! My first experience was a very wierd experience as im sure I experinced the resident "ghost" ... I was laying in bed listening to my ipod with my partner asleep beside me, the lights out and black out curtains drawn. There was no air-con in our room but suddenly I felt a freezing cold air come over me and my ipod turned itself off and shut down at that very moment! I didnt know if I beleived in ghost before but my god my heart started racing and I needed to use the toilet but didnt get the gutts to get out of bed until two hours after. What a strange experince I can tell you!

Anyway that episode aside weve used the hotel again a few times but since that time have always got an upgrade to a business room on the top floor and never experinced anything since!

I must be honest I love this hotel ... Its one of my favourites ive stayed at because the staff are so socialble and nothing is a problem. Prior to booking this last trip I spoke with Adam whom noted all my requirements including reserving my favourite room with extra items to make our stay more comfortable. These as usual were all in place when we checked in and again we had lovely helpful reception staff check us in and assist throughout our stay.

The business rooms are very large and well kept but the lack of Air Con requires us to ask for an additional fan. The beds are very comfortable - one of the best ive slept in and cleanliness and housekeeping very good.

The Breakfast is very nice and more than adequte with lots of choice and fresh produce and they even have milk free alterantives if needed. The local police use this for their breakfast as they have been there many times when we have stayed. The seating area is also very large.

The in-house restraunt is very nice and offers wide choice of food at good prices - the house burger is a must if one stays and eats here!!!!! They also have a nice collection of whiskys!

Parking is available in the hotels under ground parking area or in the adjacent multi-storeys or local street parking if needed - but this is all chargable. Note ---- It can be a problem to find street parking if the hotel parking is full as its a town centre location and close to the cinema / shopping mall.

All in all ... a great hotel with lovely staff! top marks!

Room Tip: Business room with fan!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank julian b
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

A very good hotel and typical for smaller cities in Sweden. Worth to mention is the breakfast which is very good. The assortment of fresh bread is excellent and make the total stay above avarage. The rooms are nice even though they are not recently renovated and the staff was service oriented.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Winn, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you very much for nice feedback!

Best regards
Mikael Junger
CEO
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

The pricing (with discount) and location was better than Scandic in Gävle. The rooms were clean and had most things you'd expect. The design was ok. The bathroom was a tad old but clean and we'll functioning. The shower had some water saving gadget that only gave a small beam. Hence you had to decide if you wanted water on your right or left shoulder...

The breakfast was ordinary Swedish hotel breakfast. Not the best I've had.

We had dinner in the restaurant and had their special for the evening. The waiter did not know what it was or what was in it (even after double checking). They gave a newbie impression (although being old). The menu stated things such as "world renowned dish". If that was as our dinner that probably meant way over cooked fish (probably done way in advance and kept heated) with a so so puré and way over cooked veggies.

Albeit this (I tend to focus more on what could be improved) I would stay there again and I do think it's worth the money.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank big_ebbot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

VERY nice hotel, excellent parking, nice rooms, very service-minded staff.

BUT you have to read the little pamphlet regarding Julia, the hotel employee who wouldn't leave....... ;-)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Mikael J
Porvoo, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Very nice and comfortable "dog friendly" hotel in downtown Gavle. The beds are just awesome and the rooms are clean and of good standard. And the amazing breakfast, including everything you can imagine! It was huge!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tupe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gavle
Elite Grand Hotel Gavle
#1 of 15 in Gavle
Hotell Alderholmen
Hotell Alderholmen
#2 of 15 in Gavle

Been to Clarion Hotel Winn? Share your experiences!