“My colleague drove them nuts!”
Review of Gandhi

Gandhi
Reserve with
Gandhi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 177 Restaurants in Umea
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My colleague & I do like a good curry. Here we are in Umea, Lapland and just round the corner from our hotel is the Gandhi Restaurant. It had decent reviews in Tripadvisor so we went in with relish.

I had a chicken soup starter. Excellent; reminded me in consistency and after-taste of the lamb soup produceds at the excellent Maharaja in Warsaw. Matey had a shish kebab which was main meal size in itself - perhaps over-endowed with sizzling onions.

For the main course, matey drove them absolutely nuts. This is what he wanted: Lamb with spinach plus a Chicken Tikka on the side; he didn't want the Lamb Aloo Sag they had on offer, so negotiated a Lamb Curry (offered mild, requested medium, delivered medium), plus a Chicken Tikka, plus a Sag Sauce! Sag Sauce? What's that? Well it's a standard curry sauce with some sag in it. Tis restuarant strove to give him what he wanted.

I'm easy to please; Lamb Curry (Medium) + the standard rice. Simples. Except that I'm sure that my delicious Lamb Curry was delicious Beef & Lamb Curry! I know the difference between lamb and beef - but each piece of meat was succulent and I loverd it.

With a couple of beers each, poppadums and so on, 92 SEK is not cheap - but that's Sweden. But this restaurant was a credit to Indiam cuisine.

1  Thank Suspishio

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Had a lamb dish, the meat was not tender at all, should not have been served to guests, maybe it was the chefs night off? My husbands sauce was not nice. But the sauce I got was actually lovely, but thats not enough to satisfy my taste. Nice chairs and tables.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I ordered a vegetarian sizzler, expecting the worst (after my terrible experience at the Taj Mahal), but the sizzler really sizzled, and the food was quite tasty. For where it is located, not bad at all. Probably the best Indian restaurant in town (best of two, that is!).

2  Thank bkckiran
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This is the best Indian restaurant in Umea.
Have been there a number of times over the years and never been disappointed.

On this occasion, I had their beef madras, which I like alot. My wife had
chicken with coconut milk and cashew nuts. The mains are generally from
130-170 (15-20 euros).

If you are in a wheelchair, you can not use the main entrance, but
the staff is friendly and helpful to open an alternative entrance.

The restaurant is bigger and the interior is more attractive nowadays. It's
a popular restaurant due to the excellent food and tend to be full on
the weekends.

The second Indian in town, Taj Mahal is also good, but Gandhi is better IMHO.
I would also say that the two Indians are better than all the Chinese
restaurants (Eastern Palace is the most popular and probably the best,
especially their lunch buffet).

2  Thank Zizu123
Reviewed February 7, 2012

on business from england and used this regular over 6 week period and did not have one bad dish.

2  Thank paulsun