“Ok. friendly helpful staff, ok food, more for groups”
Review of Socialize - CLOSED

Socialize
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Organic, close-by and on-site farming! As Umeås first KRAV-certified restaurant, we take the full step towards a more earthy and natural kitchen. Instead of buying into anonymous goods and meats we act directly by farmers and producers in close connection with the city. A couple of kilometres from the city, we operate our own organic outdoor cultivation providing us with high-quality vegetables and root crops during summer, autumn and winter.We put a lot of energy into finding exciting drinks - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic - that fit into each dish on our seasonally changing menu. Again we prefer drinks where an organic and biodynamic thinking lies in the basis for production.We also bake bread and is completely self-sufficient for our restaurant. Our bread is made of 90-100% organic ingredients! Welcome to Socialize!
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Socialize
I came here because someone I met in another place suggested it for locally produced/made food that has veggie options..

They have wifi - but it is not for public/guest use, hence why this review is so long as I sat writing it in the absence of being able to look at stuff online!!!

It is by the river, nice location- quite nice inside- particularly the bookable area. There is also space to sit outside- which seemed like a popular option. Friendly helpful staff. No English menu- but the staff behind the bar came over to where I was sitting to help me, and could explain most things- I am vegetarian so it narrowed down the choices quite a bit!

Opted for veggie burger - other options for me seemed to be salad or an asparagus starter, and I didn't want to bother the staff too much to explain everything! I saw a group with burgers on another table and they looked quite nice- so just went for that.
The veggie burger was 125sek, so about £11. Some reviews have said this is overpriced, which perhaps it is a little, but I have found most things to be more expensive in Sweden.

When the food arrived it looked nice and a reasonable size (maybe small compared to what you might often get in British pubs/restaurants) The bread was sourdough, and because it was quite hard, made the burger a little difficult to eat! (I was advised before starting that it is easier to use hands rather than knife and fork, but even that was quite difficult!).. The potatoes were nice, but a little greasy (probably no more than usual for fried potatoes- im just not used to it!)It came with garlic sauce- which was nice! I asked for ketchup, but it seemed to take a while to come, but was not forgotten. The member of staff who helped me with the menu was attentive and asked if I liked it etc- so nice and friendly.

After finishing- I felt my hands were covered in grease/oil... Which was a downside- on the positive side, the burger was actually pretty good, and obviously home made (it is rare to find places that actually make their own veggie burgers, even if they make their own meat burgers- so that was great!)

The bar (non-booked) area is low seats and tables and I would have felt a bit more comfortable at a proper table.. I did ask if I could sit anywhere and they pointed me to the sofas. I sat quite close to the actual bar, which was quite noisy and busy with people queuing regularly (the queue moved quite slowly), though there was also quite a big group sat close by. In hindsight, I probably should have moved if I wanted more quiet. It is no more noisy than regular busy pub/bar.

There was a very slight smell of grease from the kitchen (probably because they fry things), which put me off a bit.

Service was quite slow- but they were doing their best and it was busy- I had to wait quite a while to pay.

I preferred Rost Mat and Kaffe to this in terms of atmosphere and feel, and veggie options(with English menu), but perhaps in a group this place would be better.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Very nice food. Modern cooking combined with local and traditional ingredients and dishes. Ecological alternative with nice wine list. Friendly personnel and good service. Quite cheap. The local downstairs, not very elegant.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

13 of us went here for an early dinner. The atmosphere was terrific--you have the sense that you are in an upscale cellar. The presentation of the food was fun (e.g. the butter for the bread was served on top of small stones). I had whitefish, which was wrapped in bok choy and grilled; it was served with mashed potatoes and a salad. The ingredients were all fresh, though the meal wasn't served as hot as it could have been. Very good beer menu. Great rhubarb dessert.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

The menu had several choices that sounded interesting, making it tough to decide. The dishes were delicious, presented beautifully, and organic, with wine suggestions for those who wanted it. The cloudberry dessert is a must-have. Service was courteous.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I had a lamb burger. A piece of food I don't think you should be able to fail but it was dry, completely over cooked and uninspiring. The menu was promising but they didn't deliver. I will probably try something else here again tho just to be safe. I want this place to be good but it felt like a waste of money.