“clean & hospital but far from perfect”
Review of Scandic Umea South

Scandic Umea South
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Umea
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stockholm, Sweden
“clean & hospital but far from perfect”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

we stayed 1 night before taking ferry to Finland. arrived in late evening, receptionist was very nice, room as well but without minibar and air conditioning, means terrible warm and opening a window was not really an option since there is no mosquito net on them. minimal food menu for "starved" children, which both are lactose intolerant, ordered a Cesar salad and to my surprise you have to pay extra for getting the chicken!!?? outside looks out of date but inside was much nicer.

Room Tip: as far as possible from the reception and towards the inner yard.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hi,
Tank you for your feedback.
I'm glad you liked the hotel and I'm also sorry for the warmth at the hotel.
We are working on making the ventilation a bit better.
The menu is a Scandic menu and quite often people order just a regular salad with nothing more - so this is why we have add on's so that there is something for everyone.
I'm surpriset about the menu not being adapted for lactose intolerant and I do hope that we gave you several alternatives to choose from when you asked us.

Kind Regards
Sara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Finnish first
Göteborg, Sverige
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The location is in an industrial area outside city centre. The area is ugly and the outside of the hotel looks bad. It doesn't feels unsafe or so, but very "off". The inside of the hotel was good and I have nothing to complain on. If you have stayed on a Scandic hotel before: I would say that this is a bit more than average "Scandic-standard". Very good breakfast with a wide range of food, as always on Scandic.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback concerning your last stay.
I couldn't agree more - the outside is not (by far) as pretty as the inside - I'm glad you liked our newly refurbished hotel and that the brekfast was a positive experience.
I hope that we can welcome you back someday!

Kind Regards
saskatoon
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is not half the Scandic downtown in Umea. The breakfast is very good and some good people working here. The receptionist, Kristin, on the other hand was beyond stressed. In one day we had to have our keys recoded three times and she seemed ready to blow het top! She also mocked us for trying to communicate in her language - this I don't think you could see in any other country. Talk about mean spirited. Rooms very tired although some renovation was ongoing. Would absolutely never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi,
First of all, I'm terribly sorry that we made you feel the way that you are describing. Hopfully this is a misunderstanding in communication between us - I sure hope that no one in my team would mock a guest staying with us.
I'm glad you found the staff and breakfast satisfying and I do hope to see you soon again in Umeå, and if not on Scandc Umeå Syd perhaps on Plaza.

Kind Regards,
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I was recently in Umeå for the house of metal festival and to catch up with some old friends.

I booked the trip kinda late so most hotels were fully booked.

This hotel was a reasonable price for what I got, a clean, kinda small single room.

I didn't eat breakfast so I can't comment on that.

The night staff were fine.

The only thing I didn't like was due to the festival, I had to sign a contract saying I wasn't going to destroy the room or cause havoc with other guests bla bla bla. I found this to a bit a judgemental and prejudice of the metal community.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Sara J, Chef at Scandic Umea South, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for the feedback on Scandic Umeå Syd.
I'm glad you like our hotel.
However I'm sorry if we made you feel less welcome with the information letter, this is not our intention. We hand this welcome letter out to everyone at weekends with festivals or other happenings in town to prevent things from happening and also to inform all our gests of what we are doing to prevent anything from happening at the hotel.
We want all our guests to feel safe when staying with us and this is why we hand out the rules for the hotel.
I hope that you want to come back to Umeå and to Scandic in the future.
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Rooms are small but mostly comfortable. Food is good, both for breakfast and a maim evening meal, and people are friendly. An ok hotel for a short stop. Not really much more to say about it. Distinctly average.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rauma, Finland
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Good and clean hotel for 1 or 2 nights, when you are on a business trip or layover.
Not for a romantic holiday or travel with kids.
The airport is on 10 in with taxi or car and the centrum is 20 min walking distance.
Internet is at the far end off the hotel bad.
Breakfast is very good compare to other hotels.
Diner?
Good parking place next to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Layover007
Kiruna
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The first stop in our summer tour 2013 was the Scandic Umeå South hotel. We have been staying there several times before since the location (somewhat middle of north of Sweden) is very good. This time renovation was ongoing. The room we got had been refurbished into a new style which I hadn’t seen before. Rooms at Scandic are usually looking the same but this one showed a new style, which I much liked (see couple of photos). The carpet in the corridor had also a special touch with its E4-road layout. The restaurant is good at Umeå Syd. Many families stay overnight at the hotel particularly during summer so there are a lot of kids around. Fancy a swim?, the pool is very small. One or two swim strokes, and you have to turn. A kilometer swim will be interesting. We didn’t try that.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple