“Snowmobiling - great guide and experience”

White Trail Adventures
Ranked #11 of 20 Tours in Kiruna
More attraction details
Owner description: Operator for Husky- and Snowmobiletours
Gibraltar
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Snowmobiling - great guide and experience”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you want to avoid the usual cookie-cutter tours offered by the Ice Hotel, I really suggest checking out White Trail Adventures.

Starting some weeks before our visit I was hunting around for a non Ice Hotel tour company. We were traveling with a couple that had been to the Ice Hotel several times previously, and suggested we go with a local/smaller tour guide for something different. We also wanted a private tour, not in a pack of 10 snowmobiles. I stumbled on WTA and was able to get something quickly arranged.

First, the basics: logistics were all fine. Booking was easy and quick. We were picked up on time. All the equipment worked. We found it good value for money in two ways: 1) the trip lasted most of the day, not just the booked hours on the dot like an Ice Hotel tour; 2) it was a lot cheaper than what the Ice Hotel offers. Guide was competent and professional (if not downright colourful!). Can pay by credit card - a big plus so you don't have to carry around a wad of krona.

So that's all positive, but really just the minimal bar you might expect any independent tour company. So what're the main reasons to go with this tour company versus the easy choice of an Ice Hotel arranged tour?

First, It was just so "real" and so not "the formula". We were on trails where we saw no-one else, just lots of beautiful countryside and local critters (lots of reindeer). It lasted as long as it did, to its own timetable, not an imposed one. We stopped when we wanted or when the guide thought we needed to warm up a bit.

Second, and the best reason, is that the guide was great, a real character. He's the kind of guy you'd want around if something went wrong during the tour - he would just fix it. So a big thanks to Björn, our guide. His local knowledge was great, and we stopped periodically along the way for him to explain animal tracks in the snow, local history, Sami culture, and anything else that popped into his mind. He fielded all our questions. He was passionate about living in Sweden and in the area around the Ice Hotel. He showed great respect for the world around us, stopping for awhile at one point so we didn't break up a reindeer herd making their way across our intended path.

One other reason to book independently - the Ice Hotel makes a big premium off of making a 3 minute call to a company like this to subcontract out their guest's tours. Better to spread the wealth a bit!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank agentofkao s

Barcelona, Spain
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Must do!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I went on an overnight dog sledding tour where I got to drive my own sled, and it is one of the most amazing things I have ever done! The dogs are great, very friendly. Our guide Einnar, was very good, had a lot of information to share. He taught us how to harness the dogs, and drive. The "driving" was pretty easy, because the dogs just follow the sled in front, you just need to know when to step lightly on the brake or brake hard. The cabin we stayed at had no electricity or running water (you get the water from a nearby creek), and there's an outhouse a few meters away, but there was a fire and it was pretty cosy considering -20C weather outside. There's also a wood-fired sauna, which was great! The food was average. We got to go ice fishing and saw the northern lights! All in all it was an incredible experience and I would do it again! It's pretty expensive, considering its just one night, but its definitely worth it!

Visited January 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very interesting experience”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We made a short ride with the dog sled during december and liked it a lot! The dogs were supper friendly and excited to have some action. Jan and Daniela are very nice open people and they explain a lot about lifestyle here in Kiruna and generally about ownig sled pulling dogs. Also the price was very good compared to other offers. I recommend them highly!

1 Thank irina_pld
Nuremberg, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome vacation with White Trail Adventures”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Two friends and I booked a week at White Trail Adventures. The booking was very easy. We were picked up from the airport and drove about 15 minutes to the mushers lodge.

The next morning we started a 3 day trip with the dogs. I can tell you, that’s awesome. The silence and freedom when you drive through the forests or over the rivers and lakes. Everyone had his own sledge and four dogs. First the dogs are very excited when they are placed in front of the sledge, but after the start they just run as fast as they can. :-) But don’t be afraid. The speed is not that fast with four dogs and you can slow down the dogs with a brake. We spent three nights in two different cabins. The cabins were very clean and the meals were very good. Daniela was a great guide. Very professional, friendly and a perfect English, German and Swedish.

After the dog sledding tour we also went on a one day trip with the snowmobiles. I can’t remember when I had such a smile on the face before. :-) The tour was absolute different to the dog sledding tour. Much faster and not that quite but at least just as fantastic. Our guide Jan was very friendly and calm. Nothing could shock him. Even when we got stuck in the deep powder snow he remained calm and pulled the scooters out of the powder back on the track. After that experience we drove back to the mushers lodge. This time not through the forests but on the river. With 100 km/h :-) AWESOME!

All in all I can highly recommend White Trail Adventures. Perfect organization, delicious meals and great adventure!

Visited March 2011
3 Thank Musher007
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Dog Sledding with White Trail Adventures”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

My girlfriend and I booked a day tour with White Trail Adventures. The whole experience was perfect. Although they were referred by another tour company, the booking was easy.

I don't know if it is standard but it was just us and the guide, each one had their own dog team!!! Even though the dogs were very excited, we had no problem controlling the sleds. We easily navigated through the white forests, and cruised in the wide open areas on the river. The peace and quite of the trip was something that inspired us to come back some day and do a longer 3 or 5 day tour into the mountains.

The local guide was very professional (Einar??) . He is a fountain of knowledge and his english is impeccable. They were on top of organization, especially when it came to our diet restriction. The chicken soup with rice was delicious!

I highly recommend their dog sled tour, but I imagine that their other services are also top notch.

4 Thank SimpleToForget