“Amazing presentation - fish and chips”
Review of The Tavern

The Tavern
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Denstone
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: 16Th Centuary Village Pub and Restaurant in the very pretty village of Denstone 10mins from Alton Towers , 30 mins from the Peak District . Serving quality , local produce, Real Ales, Fine Wines , Real Wood Fired Pizzas at Weekends .
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We and our family visited the pub tonight as a pre-birthday celebration with sons and fiancee.

I chose the Haddock and chips - and what a fantastic presentation. The chips and fish were delivered in a "deep frier" basket with a "newspaper lining" (think 1950s chippies) and delicious battered haddock on a bed of chips, and with a mini-tub of mushy peas. 10/10 for presentation and 10/10 for the food.

Before that I'd chosen olives and bread dip - and really enjoyed the cute little "loaf tin" breads.

All in all a really nice meal in comfortable surroundings.

Great!

Rocky B, Owner at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Thank you for your great review , we were very pleased with your comments regarding the new Fish and Chips presentation ! We love it too and have had a very good response from our other diners , and pleased of course that you enjoyed the food !! We hope to see you again soon .
Chris .

Reviewed December 24, 2013

The Tavern is a village pub which on a recent visit offered a convivial & homely atmosphere, a friendly, attentive welcome and a meal which can only be rated as serious restaurant quality. The phrase 'good pub food' does not do it justice and my party enjoyed polite, relaxed service whilst enjoying an excellent meal. Definitely worth a visit!

Rocky B, Owner at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for review , it's great for the whole team to recieve a wonderful review and it shows our customers enjoy the food and their time spent with us . I do think you have to have the whole package , atmosphere , great food , service ! Thank you and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

This is the most perfect pub I have ever had the pleasure of visiting! After an awful visit to The White Hart earlier in the evening we were disheartened by our drive out to find a quality pub, when we landed upon the most Christmassy knoll I have ever seen! It was like going into the Woolpack from Emmerdale and had the charm and warmth of a local boozer but with the class and elegance of a Michelin starred restaurant.

The staff were amazing, the drinkers were charming and polite. The beer was nice and the prices were suitable.

If I was a drinker then we would happily pay the £80 return fare for a taxi too and from this pub!!

We were given free pizza and after thanking the landlord for his hospitality, he bought us all a drink and made us feel so welcome that we all exchanged details and are arranging an evening to come back!

If you want a positive review from someone who is quite picky, you have one here!! A stunning place with a heart of gold!

1  Thank John M
Rocky B, Owner at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Wow what a stunning review thank from us all ! But I hope I don't look like Amos Brealey ! Old landlord of the " Woolpack Inn" in Emmerdale ??? glad you enjoyed our Wood fired pizza , it was a most enjoyable night and a pleasure meeting you all....coming in as customers and like so many leaving as friends as should be. See you soon let's hope ... Chris

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Visited on the 13th November 2013. Very pleasant waiter, although he was very busy, he was attentive when he took our orders. I had sirloin with red cabbage and dauphinoise potato, which wasn't strictly a menu item, usually comes with Belly pork, but he was perfectly happy for me and rest of our party to change items. Other meals ordered were the ribeye, fillet, and haddock and chips which was very elegantly served in a silver basket with paper. Portion sizes aren't huge, but perfectly adequate. The quality of all our food was excellent, particularly my creme brulee which was one of the nicest I've ever had. We shall be visiting again soon, as we are all fairly local.

Thank you Jo for your review . We are glad that you enjoyed your meals with us and pleased to say it was no problem at all to change your meal a little as all food is cooked fresh . Glad to here you also enjoyed your Creme Brûlée ( my favourite ! ) try the Raspberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake next time !!! Delish !! See you soooon

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Hi
We stayed in Denstone for 2 nites so we could go to Alton Towers. I found the pub via google and liked the look of the pictures and the reviews.......I was not disappointed. It was a very warm, friendly and traditional country pub just what we were looking for with great food and at reasonable prices.Nothing negative about our experience there. We enjoyed our first nite dining there so much we came back again for our 2nd nite despite being booking into a restaurant elsewhere. The staff were all very friendly, courteous, service good and they made us feel very welcome in their little community. Thoroughly recommended !

Thank you for a wonderful review, and its great that you enjoyed both nights with us and your stay in Denstone . Our pub is kept very traditional on purpose as we feel so many pubs have been lost to minimalisation !! Most people love the atmosphere that we have in the Tavern ..thank you.