“As usual - a good time had by all........”

The Bull at Great Totham
Ranked #1 of 1 Great Totham B&B and Inns
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“As usual - a good time had by all........”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have enjoyed many dining experiences at the Bull and Willow Rooms over the past two years and have never been disappointed. I have enjoyed casual meals with friends, quiz night bar meals, cabaret evenings, gourmet evenings and celebrating special events. Whatever the occasion I have been delighted with the well presented, delicious food that has been offered. The menu changes regularly and offers both family favourites and dishes that are a little different.

I thoroughly recommend the international themed evenings. My husband and I booked the Italian evening and were astounded at the good value - a three course meal and ample glass of wine all for just under £20.00. Where else could you dine in such elegant surroundings for this value?

Our thanks to all at The Bull for providing us with fine food, good entertainment and friendly service over the years.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had booked for the themed Italian evening on thursday evening , and we thoroughly enjoyed the 3 course set menu, which included a glass of wine, all for under £20.00.
The presentation and quality of the food, with the Willow Room ambience, were excellent and the table service was faultless.

So in Italian:
Puo consigliarmi un buon ristorante. Si, The Bull at Great Totham.
Molte Grazie

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This being the second venue I looked at he hold our wedding reception. I walked in and when I left I knew this was where I wanted. From day one the staff have been really helpful. Our wedding day was made perfect by the lovely setting, the gardens, the accommodation, the food, and most of the staff!! A 5 star service was provided to me and my husband throughout the planning of the wedding and also on the day nothin no matter how big or small mattered to the staff and worked with us to make put day just fabulous!!

All family members commented on how impressed they were with the venue, food and staff and would definitely recommend this to other people!

We can't thank all of you at The Bull enough for making our wedding day perfect and a day to remember! X

• Stayed September 2012
Essex
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I actually thought that service, food and ambiance in the bar was excellent. Not impressed the first time I dined here but today it was very good. Perfectly happy to return and would recommend. Crayfish salad was very good and not overly expensive.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London
Reviewed August 3, 2012

thank you so much to David and his team for making our wedding day perfect. We spent a long time looking for our perfect venue and the Willow rooms did not disappoint. The venue is stunning, the food was amazing, David and his staff could not do enough for us and our guests. There was never an empty glass, an abundance of food, and a perfect setting. even with the horrific weather our day was made perfect. all our guests have been commenting since, they even organised our dj who was brilliant. We can not thank you enough!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My Wife, Grandmother and I recently stayed at The Bull in Great Totham and were left very unimpressed. Firstly upon check in we were told that our ground floor rooms (I need ground floor as I have a disability) had been given to other guests and could we go upstairs? We said no as I have a disability and my grandmother is 92 and it would be very impractical. The lady manager made a bit of a fuss and spent 2 minutes blaming her staff about it which we thought was very unprofessional and resolved the situation by asking the other guests to move room (Crisis over) and generously paid for a round of drinks for us.

Upon entering our room there were large steps in order to gain access to the room which would had we had known we wouldn’t have booked the room, it is lucky I do not need my wheelchair full time as this again would have been a problem, it should have also been mentioned by the person taking our booking in the first place anyway.

The room on first impression was done up very stylish, but on closer inspection the toilet is very impractical, the bed is small and uncomfortable (of which the pillows smelt like 50 different peoples sweat all mixed together), if you opened the windows you would have to smell a mixture of burning garlic and people smoking in the smoking shelter, the positioning of plug sockets were impractical and various stains on carpets and walls.
On the Friday night they had a cabaret act, we were told pre booking and on the night that we won’t hear anything as we are out the back. This is a big lie, we felt like we had Elvis sat in our bedroom with us. It was very loud indeed, and on a hot evening we needed the window open as the rooms are hot and stuffy and my wife and I laid there awake until 2 AM hot, listening to Elvis and smelling of garlic and smoke. Secondly it was obvious on the 2nd day that the female manager had been enjoying Elvis a little too much as she looked really hung over whilst serving us.
The food was average at best, I have eaten in many Michelin starred and 2 rosette standard restaurants and this one failed to live up to those standards. The service was good with the exception of the guy serving us breakfast on the Saturday morning; we were not even greeted with a good morning which within the service sector you would presume is a prerequisite.

We will not be staying at The Bull again and will not be recommending it. Our feeling is that is all fur coat and no knickers!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ian K
David M, Owner at The Bull at Great Totham, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send a review, i must say this review is very concerning if the facts were as written.

We did have a cabarat on that night you were advised at booking this was the case, the nise levels were checked hourly as part of our licensing agreement and i dispute the level and also can confirm the night ended at 12.15 not 2 am as stated.

The kitchen closed that night at 10.15 not again at 2 am as stated.

If you had mentioned your disabilities on the phone we would have certainly mentioned that you need to be able to go up ONE step of about 8 inches.

I a sorry you did not enjoy your meal and felt that my staff had drunk to much at the cabaret evening i can assure you that no member of staff was drinking that night.
Colchester
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Surprised to see a number of diners on a Monday evening. Once we had the first course we understood why, the food is delicious, all freshly cooked so bit of a wait but very worth it. The presentation was excellent and the portion sizes just right. We chose the Risotto, Barnsley Chop & Slow Roast Pork Belly and to follow Warm Bakewell Tart with Clotted Cream and Assorted Ice Cream alll absolutely delicious - not cheap but not so expensive it has to be a special occassion to pay them a visit. Service was good and surroundings nicely decorated and comfortable. we will definitely being paying future visits, now eager to try one their cabaret evenings

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pontlands Park
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Premier Inn Chelmsford (Boreham) Hotel

Been to The Bull at Great Totham? Share your experiences!