“Breathtaking - literally! I haven't a...”

Slieve League Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Carrick B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Breathtaking - literally! I haven't a great head for heights and had was struck with the thought that I had to get down again after the walk up, and nearly froze to the spot. But the walk up and down were fine and my fear was unjustified. It's quite spectacular ... a sight you might more quickly associate with more exotic locations, but in the wilds of beautiful Donegal. Don't miss it.

1  Thank ODalaigh

Reviewed October 18, 2009

The scenery at Slieve League is fantastic. The cliffs are easily found as they are well signposted from the village of Carrick. Some of the signs and guide books may use the Irish spelling Sliabh Liag - the pronunciation is the same. The road to the top car park has been improved since some of the earlier reviews on here. If you venture up the high path you can stop at any point for a breather and the views are just stunning - I hope you get a clear day for your visit as you will be able to see Ben Bulbin and County Sligo to the south. Out to the west there's nothing between you and America!

1  Thank treaclebob
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I headed down the coast from Killybegs, following the coastal road through the towns of Kilcar & Carrick to the Teelin Pier, where I met Paddy Byrne, the captain of the Nuala Star, for a sail up the coast to see the tallest sea cliffs in Europe - the Slieve League. I first went up to the top and looked down - dramatic! - and out across the Atlantic, and then took the boat ride with Paddy on the Nuala Star and looked up. At its tallest point, the sea cliffs are over 1900 feet.

Paddy is a lifelong boatman, he takes out fishing groups and tours. On the boat with me was a lovely couple from England with her 89 year-old mother along! The sea was calm, and from time to time Paddy would stop the boat and point out the sights - the highest point, the keep built by the English in the early 19th century to look out for the French - they thought Napoleon was going to attack - Paddy kept a steady stream of conversation going, he & I talked about tourism in Ireland - I work in tourism in Hawaii. It was a lovely 2 hours at sea and great to see the Slieve League from both vantage points!

2  Thank TJ-Hawaii
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Although we had planned to go to Sligo, and perhaps visit the city of Donegal, we had not planned on a day trip out to Slieve League. But the weather was grand, and we had are rental car, and took a chance. Best spur of the moment decision we made on this recent trip to Ireland. As the others said, this is not to be missed. It is wilder than Moher. The inland drive out to the western tip, takes you past vast expanses of wild scenery, including areas where peat is harvested. Much to see with this day trip, and lots of photos for winter memories.

1  Thank cgallogly
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I recently had the pleasure of travelling to Killybegs for some fishing and diving, staying in a local B&B which served up the best in Irish Breakfasts we have found(apparently its the tradition to feed you well in Killybegs) I had planned on doing my own thing but when I visited the local Information Centre and by was there loads of local knowledge. I was informed of a local tour by Bus as I had a car I didnt feel the need for that tour, however I spoke to another couple in the B&B and they told me the bus is the way to go with the height and the knowledge of the areas. The information was wonderful from Forts to tombs, ancient wells and then Bunglass and Slieve league from the rear, when we travelled up the roadway to Slieve League viewing point, I was amazed by the sheer beauty and to see my Families Native Mayo from the Viewing area was so special, in the distance to see Croagh Patrick which I had recently climbed was amazing, along the way you see the Trawlers and locals alike fishing 1200 feet below and the busy port channel of Killybegs in use. I am still amazed at the clear water. The bus had started in Killybegs and brought me to the famous "Kodak Corner" I am still amazed, the locals call it kodak corner because so many people stop to take photos and you will see why. we also visited Glencolmcille folk village and glen head, oh you guys its amazing!!!! and this bus tour driver explained all about the different areas we visited and the changing times and ways of the people in s.w. Donegal, then it was back to the Maritime & Heritage centre in Killybegs where we were given an audio and visual tour then allowed watch a carpet being hand made we were allowed tie a knot!!!! and then for me the skippering of a boat !!!! a SIMULATOR of a trawler is in place here and you have to try get it out of port and on to the open seas..wonderful end to the tour. This is all included in the E20.00 ticket price and spend almost 4 hours on the trip. The Hidden Gem bus tour is just that a Gem and when I visit Ireland again in 2 years I hope to do it all over again. I purchase my ticket off the friendly staff in the Information Centre by the shore and the bus picked me up there the next day. It is a wonderful trip and 1 experience you will never forget the Rugged coast roads and coatline that only the locals can fill you in on. Well worth a doing if you are in S.W. Donegal

8  Thank worldtour2009fromusa
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We visited Slieve League on March 20th 2009. The access road to the top was closed for construction so we had to walk the 1.7 kilometers to the top which is a steep incline. The views along the way were excellent and once we made it to the top it was well worth the hike. Slieve League is the tallest sea cliffs in all of Europe. Yes, even taller than the Cliffs of Moher which are also spectacular. The construction crew must have been on break because it was just me, my wife, and a bunch of sheep roaming around the cliffs. We would highly recommend seeing Slieve League!

4  Thank TACOB0B
Reviewed November 3, 2008

What a great experience. Managed to negotiate the narrow road to the car park at the top without any problems. Not as bad as you think. Once at the top the views are excellent and you have the option to go even higher if you like hill climbing. I was there on a very windy but clear day and had a problem with keeping steady. Easy to find if you follow the signs and you will know when you are there because it is at the end of the road.. If in this area of County Donegal it is highly recommended that you visit this place. you will not be disappointed. Pick a clear day to do this trip and if like my trip it is windy you will get better effect photo's with the waves hitting the cliffs It is also worth going to the Malin Beg peninsular for more great views. Beware that most of the roads around this area are not very wide so give yourself plenty of time to do this trip and allow ample time for photo stops.

4  Thank ZippyCleethorpesUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrick
Downings Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bridgend
Caisleain Oir Hotel
Caisleain Oir Hotel
#1 of 1 in Annagry

Been to Slieve League Lodge? Share your experiences!