“Malpas Hotel, Kyrenia”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Catalkoy
England
“Malpas Hotel, Kyrenia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

Arriving at the Malpas Hotel in Kyrenia was a blessed relief after a long week on business in Nicosia. The hotel was further out from the town centre than I had expected and the taxi ride cost me 20 YTL (including the tip). The foyer was spacious and pleasant.

The reception staff were welcoming and generally helpful throughout my stay, although their English is limited - I wouldn't want to ask for anything complicated. My room comprised twin beds and a full bathroom (although I had to ask for a bath plug before I could fill a bath with bubbles and climb in - but this seems to be common practice in Northern Cyprus - they like to save water).

Entering the restaurant was slightly disappointing only because there was no one in charge and I had to ask to be shown to a table. There was plenty of space and I enjoyed dining al fresco on the terrace outside. Apart from the odd welcome, the restaurant was largely very good - a good selection of food from the buffet and you could have as much as you wanted as often as you wanted. Staff were very pleasant. I know it's a five-star hotel, but I still found the cost of drinks shocking - 8 YTL for a 330 cl beer and 55 YTL for a bottle of mediocre Cyprus wine - a real shame.

The pool is down several steps across two flights, so not for the infirm or disabled. When you get there, there are two large circular pools with plenty of space for a swim. At 5' 11" I was never out of my depth. Plenty of sunbeds and staff to put the brolleys up when you need them to. There is a cafe bar for food and drink - not particulary cheap, but I was on their full board tariff - 165 YTL per day for room and three meals, which honestly takes some beating for the overall quality of service.

They have a private beach with a shuttle service - don't know what it's like as I couldn't be bothered to go (preferred just to laze around the pool). They also run a shuttle service to Kyrenia, but this isn't very frequent and the last run at 4.00 pm wasn't really ideal for me, but saved another taxi.

In five star terms, it's pretty average but in value for money terms I thought it was outstanding. I'll be going again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

the hotel is clean and staff very helpful pool area is really great the resturant is nice but the food is repeted on a regular basis and does get very boring. on one night there was a barbicue beside the swimming pool which was an absulute disaster no tables to be found lots of people arguing families having to sit appart including their children.the food was not organised well after getting your food there was no where to sit and eat it the poor waiters were trying their best, but a table was soon found for a family of eight who had paid to come to the barbicue who were not staying in the hotel. we have stayed in a lot of hotels which are five star all around the world and the hotels which are five star in the caribean are five star and have a much higher standard than the malpas.i would put the malpas as a four star hotel the prices for the drinks were far to high if they were lowered i am sure more people would return, we always like to tip the waiters but at thoes prices they lost out which is a shame because they were so nice and helpful. the rooms were nice but we had no plugs for our bath and sink we asked for one but never did get one,the light outside our room was gone and never replaced the whole two weeks we were there. the beach area was nice and relaxing the service there was excellent disappointed that there was no sand but enjoyed the sea not suitable for children, the shuttle servise was good.location of the hotel is out of the way and there is nowhere to walk to. we hired a car for one week and went all over the island which was really good and broke it up for us the island is buitiful all in all we had a good holiday and the malpas comfortable.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

This was my 3rd stay at the Malpas and I can truly say it has improved on each visit. The hotel is stylish and has a relaxed and spacious feel about it. The staff try hard to please and the facilities are what you would expect from a 5 star establishment. The restaurant is good but in my opinion, it is best to get out at least half of your holiday to avoid repetition (I would suggest this for any holiday at any hotel). Get yourself down to the harbour for the ambeince or try one of the many top quality restaurants such as Address and Ambience.
The beach club is a very "chilled out" place, however, no sand so don't compare it to a beach, just go there for something different once or twice.
Casino is best in Cyprus but as with all casino's is smoky!!!
Having read some of the negative reviews, I can only assume these people would be impossible to please. How much do they expect to pay for a beer in a 5 star hotel????
To summarise, this is a new hotel which is certainly the best I have experienced in Northern Cyprus and I will definatly be returning soon for another couple of weeks of relaxation.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

We experienced our third visit to the Malpas and it just gets better. From being greeted at the front door to saying bye till next time we were treated with curtesy, firiendliness and professionalism. The staff are superb , nothing too much trouble, and at the same time as being attentive are non intrusive. The food exellent, the rooms clean well furbished and comfortable. The out door areas are clean well kept with well stocked beautiful fragrant gardens and an outdoor pool which must be one of the best in the area. The health suite has everything on offer to pamper even the most discerning of visitors.
We will definately returning, if fact we tried to book for the Christams period but were planning too far ahead. So Malpas and staff see you Christmas 2009

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dotymol
NEWCASTLE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

On arriving at the Malpas Hotel there was no one to greet us and no welcome drink which would have been nice after our night flight. Check in was fine and the porter showed us to our room which we thought was on the small side for a 5 star hotel compared to any other 5 star hotels that we have stayed in throughout the world. If you are looking for fine dining with 5 star service the Malpas is definately not for you. At the Fontana Restaurant there was no Maître d’ to welcome us, we simply sat at a table. Breakfast was advertised as starting at 07.00 we were usually down for breakfast as 07.30, but the outside tables were never fully prepared for service. The food was buffet style and terribly repetative and boring which needs to be addressed if they wish their customers to return. The chef used to cook liver, meat balls and kebabs fine but was this was repeated day after day. There were a few tureens which tended to have fish, chicken or vegetables in. The creamed potato was disgusting with a pint of milk swimming on the top which was such a waste as so many people were commenting on it and leaving it. The waiter's could definately do with some training and leadership. They used to go aound the terrace with a trolley and two ice buckets which they used to scrape the left over food into one ice bucket and put the cuttlery in the other, then stack the plates up. My works canteen has higher standards and you would not expect this type of service in a 5 star hotel. Several evenings when we left the table our soup bowls, main course plate and desert dish were all left on the adjoining table. If you were lucky to have your crockery cleared the waitor would clear my husbands and then reach right across the table for mine. Several times when a bottle of water was served it was luke warm and we had to request some ice surely something as simple as keeping the water chilled is not rocket science.

On the 19.08.09 we had a note put through our door informaing us that the Fontana Restuurant was closed that evening and that they were having a BBQ. We felt closing the restaurant was totally out of order with no choice being available which was not a 5 star decision. The BBQ was a total nightmare and very badly run. It took them all afternoon to set up the tables. The food that was served was the exactly the same as in the restaurant. First of all you had to stand in a long queue which was badly laid out. Salads were on the first table then the main courses then the soup before the deserts. Surely the soup should have been first. My husband and myself left our drinks on the table and went for our deserts we were away about 3 minutes and when we returned our table had disappeared along with our drinks. We were flabbergasted and asked the people on the next table who just put their hands up in the air. We were furious and just put our plates down and walked out in disgust.

Finally the prices for drinks were rip off and when you looked around very few people were ordering wine because of the cost. I know it is 5 star hotel but I think if they priced it slightly cheaper they would sell a lot more and have a lot more happy guests.

I know the hotel is just about 2 years old but some areas are starting to look shabby , quite a few areas are in need of urgent attention. There are lots of cracked tiles around the pool which requires urgent attention. Some sunbed covers need replacing, several reception lights bulbs were out, repairs had been carried out in some of the bedrooms and no attempt had been made to paint over the repairs.

The style of the furniture outside next to the terrace has not been purchased for your average guest. I am only 5' 2" but if I sat with my back in the correct position my legs would be nowhere near the floor. They were so huge if they had another foot added they would have made a sun bed. Bad choice!!

WE WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO THIS HOTEL.

NOT RECOMMENDED

Rotherham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

We spent the last two weeks of July 2009 at the Malpas Hotel. The hotel was busy at the weekends but quiet during the week. My husband and I would certainly visit again. Most of the staff were very helpful. The pool was lovely and the pool attendant was first class. Food was excellent. Drinks were expensive and wine with dinner was very pricey - even the cheap plonk! Our children did get bored during the evening and the entertainment was monotonous. I also tired of the same music playing every morning during breakfast. We weren't impressed with the beach club.
Taxi to Kyrenia wasn't expensive and we found some lovely bars there. Location is a little remote but hiring a car is very cheap and there are quite a few places of interest.
Internet access was difficult with only one computer for guest use.
Very clean rooms although I moved the children because their room was smokey!
Lots of coming and goings at the casino and there were a couple of important events held at the hotel whilst we were there - very interesting people watching!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

Overall very good hotel, staff generally very helpful. Reasonably new property therefore fixtures and fittings to a good standard. Buffet offered good variety at breakfast and evening meal (however, it is not the UK therefore expect some different food!). Drinks are relatively expensive e.g. for can of coke 5TL approx £2+ in restaurant and bars. We brought drinks outside hotel and brought in bag to hide (remember to remove from mini bar as these are checked daily) and had no problems. Pool area is great and plenty of sunbeds and parasols - beach club has no real sand therefore if you want a proper beach go elsewhere. Would recommend for relaxing break.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Catalkoy
Merit Park Hotel & Casino
Kyrenia Palace Boutique Hotel
Dome Hotel
Dome Hotel
#14 of 30 in Kyrenia

Been to Malpas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!