“A good hotel”

Malpas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Catalkoy
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having read some of the negative reviews I wasn't expecting the hotel to be as good as it was. We were a group of 11 with a fairly complex booking including interconnecting rooms for 2 families with young children and a couple of single rooms. As expected check in late at night wasn't straight forward but the check in staff did their best and almost gave us what we had booked, we had to go back to reception a few times but got it sorted in the end.

We were there for 2 weeks and I must say the staff were extremely helpful, we made friends with Aysen, one of the waiters in the restaurant who was brilliant and reserved us the same table (for 11) overlooking the sea every day for breakfast and dinner. The food was OK but a bit samey after 2 weeks but a couple of nights it was pretty poor. They hold wedding receptions in the hotel at weekends and the kitchen staff are preoccupied catering for them so hotel guests get whatever they can throw together which wasn't very good.

The pool is lovely and getting a subbed was never a problem even in August, the gym and spa are lovely (I like to use the gym and found it to be as good as any other hotel I'd stayed in).

The rooms are nice and I thought the minibar was reasonable contrary to some of the other reviews written.

As with everything in life you get what you pay for it isn't the Ritz, it's a reasonably priced descent standard hotel in Cyprus. I can't understand people that pay the prices this hotel charges but expect a top quality 5 star experience. If you want top quality 5 star you need to be spending 5 times what this hotel charge.

Room Tip: Due to the shape of the hotel some of the sea view rooms are small. Room 201 is larger than most and...
1  Thank warren-dive
Write a ReviewReviews (1,004)

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We spent a week at this hotel during the second week of August and had a wonderful time. The pools are lovely, just like you can see in the photos and the food bar at the pool wasn't overpriced for a hotel. The selection of food in the hotel restaurant was amazing freshly cooked and prepared in front of you and the presentation was fabulous, vegetable flowers, carved melons and little tasters of food beautifully decorated in individual bowls. You could sample a wide range of authentic flavours without filling yourself up!
We found all the staff friendly and only too happy to help. Our trip coincided with the grand opening of the casino and we were treated, without charge to a spectacular evening of food and entertainment including fireworks, synchronized swimmers and live music from Sam Fox.
The hotel has a beach club which again was very well organised and all the staff were polite and helpful.The beach club was not walkable from the hotel as it was so hot but the hotel has a minibus which happily adjusts around your needs.
We hired a car and found driving easy as they drive on the same side as us in Britain. We had no trouble parking at the hotel or beach club and parking in the town car park is also very cheap. If you want an exciting nightlife it is a 10 minute drive into the local town, the hotel did have live music every evening but it wasn't lively which suited us just fine!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Hills51
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Having read many negative reviews I want to set the record straight. My family and I have just spent 8 nights at the Malpas- it was fantastic.
The hotel is immaculate and we found the staff to be very friendly and officiant.
Our room was in the family block adjacent to the main building, we had a massive private balcony looking at water features in the gardens and the sea in the distance.
The restaurant was great, we always got a table and found the food to be varied and well cooked. The chefs make omelettes and pancakes fresh every morning and in the evening they show cook meats and noodles on the grill.
I cannot believe people are on this site moaning about the food! I've been a travel agent for 18 years and stayed in top class hotels all over the world, trust me the Malpas is a great choice for North Cyprus.
All hotel's have room for improvements but if you're moaning about not having a kettle in your room stay in England and drink tea!
Our room and bathroom were gorgeous, beds were comfy and changed every day.
Yes the drinks were more expensive than outside the resort but this is the norm anywhere, if you want to get drunk from 10am then book all inclusive at a different resort.
The Malpas is best suited to families who want a relaxing holiday and want to explore the area. We have had a lovely week
and will be going back next year!
Ignore the bad reviews and make your own mind up..you will love it!

• Stayed: August 2013
17  Thank MelaniDB
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have been twice before with our elder teenage children but this is our first trip for just my wife & I.
Our flight was a little delayed but on arrival at the hotel we were told check-in can wait if you want to get some food before the restaurant closes at 9.30. This we did & then had a drink & then checked in all nice & relaxed. The hotel atmosphere is very laid back which was just what we wanted for a weeks' break.
For the rest of the week we enjoyed the superb pool & sunbed facilities.
The overall quality of staff is not quite as good as before, however fine, except for the reception who managed to not do as they said they would on 3 separate occasions!
However Celia the hotel rep made up for them on one occasion after overhearing and sorting things out straight away - but she shouldn't have needed to really.
We will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: There is variety so ask about the different types to suit you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Rugbyref46
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Visted in late July 2013, our second visit and as brilliant as the first! It is a fantastic hotel with excellent facilities and outstanding service. Restaurant staff so polite and helpful and food for half board not bad, certainly well presented. Only criticism is the weak coffee at breakfast!

We hired a car and used public transport, both excellent means of getting around and easily managed a trip to Golden Beach (worth the drive) in East and Soli in West. Plenty to see and do and especially enjoyed the medieval castles and beaches.

Sea view rooms did not disappoint but really it is the service here that sets the hotel apart. particular thanks to Claire and Fidan at Guest Relations who were very helpful in arranging for our son to play the rather impressive grand piano in the lobby!

4  Thank kirstie r
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just returned from 8 nights at the Malpas. Was slightly concerned by some reviews beforehand but shouldn't have been. Wifi at 20 TL for 3 days (approx £7.50) Is not expensive especially when more than one person could use it! Drinks too were not overly expensive, just hotel prices which include a fabulous view, good facilities and great service. Very special mention goes to Tarik and his protege Ahan - their attention and service was impeccable as was that of Melis in the Cotton Jazz bar and the pool and pool bar staff, oh and reception, so everyone really. Even the president of Northern Cyprus gave the hotel his seal of approval by attending a gala dinner there.
Thank you Malpas, we will return.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked car park - was not a problem and a lot cooler than sea facing and very quiet des...
6  Thank jbjuliebradbury
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have just come back from two weeks at the malpas hotel returning on sunday. This is the first time we have really been eager or leave a comment on tripadvisor as we were so flabergasted by the complete lack of understanding by the hotel and customer relations manager on a particular issue of basic safety. However, I have a few comments first. We had been given a family room on arrival in the annex building. This was perfectly fine with us as it overlooked a garden looking towards the sea in the distance and was away from the bar and music on the hotel terrace. Two days in we were left a note to say we had to move that night as the whole annex was to have work done and we were the last people in the annex. We said we are not moving late at night but would move early next morning. We were given a room in the main hotel but as the family rooms were either at the back or side of the hotel our new room faced over the restaurant kitchen and flat roof of the main wedding room. We could just see the see but we moved from a room with a view to the Sean to looking over a car park. We complained and asked to see a room facing the sea, but it was true those rooms were too small for three people. We had no choice to accept it as we could not go back to our previous room. The replacement room in the main block was room 306 and was on the top floor. Merely out of habit I went just to see where the fire escape was as I had been in a hotel fire as a child. The fire escape was a room away. Fine. I don't know why but I just checked the fire escape door to check it worked. It opened, but what I saw was the surprise. It was full of painters rubbish, paint cans, light shades, chairs, tables, etc. the fire escape lighht on our level was none existent with bare wires and no fitting. Again not quite sure why but I went down from our third floor level to the ground floor. All flights were full of rubbish which meant the escape was essentially blocked. At the bottom the door leading to he outside was locked with a mortice lock and a separate padlock. I went outside and found the door in the car park and it was even blocked from the outside as we'll with tables piled against it. In short I raised this with customer relations. We had a stand off with the customer services manager ( who was actually english) who attempted to tell me it was not the fire escape and the main stair was the fire escape. She said the stair I was talking about was just an alternative and was not out means of escape. Complete tosh especially when I pointed out the signs direct you to it and in a fire there must be a secondary access. She was having none of it. When I said it wa lock she said in a fire the maintenace guys would come and unlock he door. Again a load of crap. I also pointed out that even if there was someone around at the time of a fire and had a key, it was still blocked outside. Se then referred me to the fire strategy on the back of the hotel door as this was clear and that he building was signed off by the authorities. We pointed out there was no fire notice on the back of our bedroom door. She was surprised by this bu then said she had not looked but all of the was not her responcibilty anyway. I said why was she here talking to us then. She eventually admitted the fire escape stair should have nothing in it and he door should not be locked. She also hen aplogised for he lack of fire hose as well, which I had not even brought up. She tried to tell me all of this would be dealt with. I did say I did not think English people on trip advisor would be at all happy to see this on tripadvisor. The hotels official comment is that they have no regard to tripadvisor as most reportsthis left are untrue. This was an odd statement as we had noticed the day before the hotel showing with pride a certificate or something from tripadvisor behind reception on the wall. My final comment to her was that we are leaving to return home but it was now on her conscience if there is later a fire and people cannot get out. A number of people overheard this conversation as it was not held in private and she appeared more concerned that people had heard all of this than the actual issue I was raising. Further comments were about the quality of he food in he evening. The main courses we bland, often overlooked and/cold. We and others complained about this to he restaurant manager (shaved head and usually a pink shirt), who listened but clearly we were an annoyance. He only came over because the hotel owner was two tables away from us and asked he waiter if he was the top person to complain to. The following evening at diner, this same restaurant manager decided to make verbal comment to his sidekick quite loudly about how the rice and pasta were perfect while my daughter was standing next to him when getting food. Childish at best, but when a number of people had complained, why not just do your job and ensure the food is better. This is not a 5 star hotel in the terms of grading we are used to, but I genuinely beleive there is a good hotel here which has some great staff ( the restaurant waiters and all down by the pool) but they are let down by poor management and a lack of action on issues that should not even be of question. Having a total lack of awareness and responcibilty for a fire escape for the hotel guests mean we could never stay here again, which is a shame. I do have proof via pictures of the blocked fire escape, but I have no idea of how I get these off my phone and onto tripadvisor. The head of customer services was quite concerned when I said I had plenty of pictures.

Room Tip: Need a room facing the pool or terrace. These are not the family rooms.
15  Thank Brenda H
ClaireCat44, General Manager at Malpas Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Malpas Hotel would like to clarify that the 'fire exit' mentioned is now equipped with an easily-openable door to enable quicker access out of the hotel, ommitting the need for personnel to open the door. This was done IMMEDIATELY the guest voiced his concerns. As explained at the time, this staircase was actually specified as an extra to requirement by the authorities. We are subject to regular strict fire controls and we have actually been told that the hotel has an excess of fire escape routes. This extra fire route is now classed solely as a fire exit and is no longer used for any other purposes. We hope this addresses any concerns future guests may have.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Catalkoy
The Olive Tree Hotel
Asty Hotel
Asty Hotel
#3 of 26 in Nicosia
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hotel
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hote...
#2 of 8 in Alsancak - Karavas
Oscar Resort Hotel
Oscar Resort Hotel
#12 of 30 in Kyrenia
Paradise Bungalows
Paradise Bungalows
#1 of 14 in Kyrenia

Been to Malpas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!