New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Cratos Premium Hotel, Casino, Port & Spa

Cratos Premium Hotel, Casino, Port & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Catalkoy
London, England, United Kingdom
“Absolutely terrible, avoid at all costs...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Room was not ready on arrival. The porter (!) got lost taking us to our room!! The room keys didn't work so we had to wait another 10-15 mins while he walked the miles back to the reception.
The room was a twin with no cot (requested double with cot).
Bathroom had mould growing all round the bath and up the wall.
On opening the balcony door I was greeted by probably the largest spiders (+ web) I have ever seen out of a cage!
Bed was clean, but the tiled floor was filthy, realised after walking round the room for a few mins my feet were black.
Requested a different room and was told there were none available due to the poker tournament.
Decor was shabby and upkeep of the hotel neglected.

Rude, discourteous, overworked staff at every turn, food looked good with plenty of choice, but is soon became apparent that same food was layed out day in day out until gone. I had stomach upset second day so stuck to only the freshly cooked meats that i could see them cooking.

I took my niece bowling, they would not put the €13 charge on the room, they would not accept card. So I walked the mile back to the bedroom and got some money. Paid the attendant, waited half hour for my change, went back to find out why it was taking so long to find that the attendant who had taken my money had finished and gone home, my change no-where in sight. The new attendant tried to argue that I'd had my change (€87)! Manager called, video played, given change, in YTL not €, they made no apology for the mess so I caused stink about being given change in YTL when all prices in hotel quoted in €. Change given in Euros.

I had booked the room via the casino and was told that the room would be complimentary subject to me making a $5,000 cash deposit in the casino and playing every night; win or loose. On the last night I went to check the room service bill (not inluded) and to my horror the bill was €960 (3 night stay)! I complained. I had to wait 20 minutes before a manager came to tell me that I needed to go to the Casino... Down to the Casino I went to be told that the room price was only free if I played certain games, poker excluded! They offered me a discounted rate of €110 per night... PLUS I was told if I didn't pay, it would be taken from the deposit cards given by the other guests in our party (14 of us in all)!

Prior to our arrival at the hotel they had offered complimentary pick up and drop off. Considering the previous issues, I spoke to the casino manageress the morning before our return and confirmed the time of departure, and that the transfer back to Larnaca would be complimentary (I have family in Cyprus who could have picked us up if it was not). During the ride back to Larnaca it became clear that this had not been communicated to the driver who was demanding €95. I called & was told that the Casino would not pay the bill and that I would have to pay. The line went dead, I thought maybe I had lost signal so I called back, waited in the queue, eventually answered only to be hung up on again!! I paid the taxi driver as it was not his fault. Unfortunately it does not end there, 2 days later when my cousin checked out, the hotel tried to charge my him for my connection back to Larnaca claiming that I had refused to pay the driver! Truly unbelievable.

Forget about Cratos, even with the €240 per night discount it was still vastly overpriced and a complete waste of money and time, barely a 3* hotel. I have never had a more stressful experience than staying at this hotel. The service was beyond poor. Quite frankly I would rather have an enema once a week for the rest of my life than go back to this hotel ever again.

If you want to stay in a beautiful hotel in Cyprus with excellent service and food that is out of this world then stay at the intercontinental, APHRODITE HILLS; and it is cheaper!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Edwin W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hotel must have been built as a factory or something. I think it has the least welcoming architecture I have ever seen in a five star hotel. It is supposed to have been built to the highest standard. They even tried to bring J Lo to the opening!!
I suggest the place is a monument to decoration with opulant and tastelessness in mind. It mainly caters for rich ussions coming over to gamble I think.
The rooms are decorated in red and black, no privacy in toilets as the seperations are glass. Gold glitter in places where you don't really expect. Not for me, not for a tasteful hotel by the sea as far as I am concerned.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank anidioteverywhere
İstanbul, Türkiye
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The Cratos hotel is a little piece of heaven on the waterfront in cyprus..
The service when we arrived at reception was professional and extremely friendly. The food was also fabulous( except desserts ) . Excellent beach and pools ( ecxept beach was small ) Would love to come back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Serra D
Blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at the Cratos on Friday 1st June and Saturday 2nd June with my partner and child as we were attending a wedding. We had booked a family room but when we got to Reception and checked in we were told the hotel was full and we were only having a double room with a pull out bed. To be honest I wasn't impressed but we were only there for two nights so I couldn't be bothered to complain.
I would say If you are looking for a luxury hotel with the wow factor looks wise then the Cratos is the place to stay. However you will pay for the privilege. The hotel entrance is stunning and the whole hotel is breath taking it has the usual shops but at a much better quality from the full spa, gym to the shops and hair dressers. The bar prices reflect this quality too so beware if you are fancying a night on the tiles here it will cost you. We stayed in a double room here with a pull out bed the room was a fair size nothing to write home about but was clean and well presented. The bathroom was spotless and comprised of 2 parts, the toilet separate to the bath/ shower and was very useful. No view really though and it would have been nice to have sea, pool or mountain view, however you will pay big time for a view. Also beware using anything from the extensive but very expensive mini bar. I think a bottle of water from the mini bar was £5.00. Buy your own for 25p from the supermarket down the road like we did.
The staff are the biggest disappointment for me they just don't live up to the reputation or the quality of the hotel. They ignore you at the bar leave you waiting at reception and are generally just not interested. We waited over 20 minutes just to get a cup of tea at breakfast and then got coffee and a shrug of the shoulders. Not what I would expect for the money. Not impressed at all.
We only stayed room and breakfast and have to say the food was very good quality.
The pool here is extensive and also has a beach area below so you decide where you prefer.
All in all it's a very good hotel. Very expensive but certainly one of the best in Northern Cyprus but don't expect the staff to go out of their way for you - unless you tip them heavily. Would I return - yes but not in a hurry!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Helz2009
Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Cell block H, most rooms face a concrete wall of other rooms. Beach is a 40 foot strech of gray sand. Sun loungers 6 inches apart, both at pool and beach. Rooms small and smoky. Meals are the same- morning noon and night. One chef trying to cook eggs for 400 inmates - yes, you will feel that way. Arrive early for any meal as will be a struggle for a place to sit. Hope you like throbbing music as that is played around the sea area all day/night. Two persons on reception trying to handle 200-300 guests checking out/ in. Would not honor reserved room as party that was in room was going to stay longer. Had to source bottle opener and open wine myself at bar. Mold in bath, fixture fell off wall.
Not a pleasant experience. Go some where else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Stan5107
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

If you are looking for a luxury hotel with opulence and the wow factor then the Cratos is the place to stay. Beware though you will pay for the privilege !
The hotel entrance is stunning and the whole hotel is breath taking it has the usual shops but at a much better quality from the full spa,gym to the zen diamonds and louis Vuitton. The bar prices reflect this quality too so beware if you are fancying a night on the tiles here it will cost you!
We stayed in a double room here with a pull out bed ( it should have been a family room but they messed the booking up) the room was a fair size nothing to write home about but was clean and well presented. The bathroom was spotless and comprised of 2 parts, the toilet separate to the bath/ shower and was very useful.
Again beware using anything from the extensive but very expensive mini bar !
The staff are the biggest disappointment for me they just don't live up to the reputation or the quality of the hotel. They ignore you at the bar leave you waiting at reception and are generally just not interested. We waited over 20 minutes just to get tea at breakfast and then got coffee and a shrug of the shoulders. Not what I would expect for the money.
The pool here is extensive and also has a beach area belw so you ecide where you prefer.
The casino is amazing and you will be mezmorised by the pure opulence of it !
All in all it's a very good hotel. Very expensive but certainly one of the very best in Northern Cyprus but don't expect the staff to go out of their way for you - unless you tip them heavily !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ianhblackpool
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We went to a wedding last week in Cyprus and wanted to stay somewhere 5* or as close as possible so we were advised to stay in the Cratos, or Crappos as my husband calls it. On arrival it looks like a lavish Hotel that once had its day, tired, chincy facade and awful furnishings. No one greeted us at the entrance, we had to carry our own bags to the reception where we were greeted by 1 member of staff who spoke NO English (like every member of staff there) and were told our room wasnt ready as they had overbooked so we had to wait 5 hours so headed for the pool. The room was average, shower was hanging off, bed was hard, rooms very clean which is nice but they are certainly NOT 5*, I would say 3*. So the negatives and positives below.

Negatives:

No one spoke English
No maps or advise given on where and what to do in Hotel
All shops closed
Short staffed due to money problems
Horrendous food and I mean horrendous, same thing every night and day for 7 days, no fresh fish or lamb just crap. My husband had pasta and tomato sauce for the last 4 days
Rude travellers staying there, no respect for anyone who isnt Turkish/Cypriat
Music from club played until around 3am
All restaurants and bars closed on front of harbour as they have sold them off and no longer running so there was 1 bar and 1 restaurant for the whole week.
Shocking service, no drinks ever came, this maybe due to lack of language
Allot of hookers and fat old men in Casino
Constant club music played by pool from 9am

Positives

The big clean pool
Hot weather
Going home
Good Casino

Trust me, we are not a fussy lot but this was a real dissapointment, I would honestly not recommend it to anyone. Give this Hotel a year and it will be a wreck!!!!

Room Tip: Dont go! there are plently of other places. The Rock is far better.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mrs V V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Catalkoy
Merit Park Hotel & Casino
Merit Crystal Cove
Merit Crystal Cove
#2 of 9 in Alsancak - Karavas
4.5 of 5 stars 310 reviews

Been to Cratos Premium Hotel, Casino, Port & Spa? Share your experiences!