“Nice food”

Biscaya Tapas Bar
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Description: Biscaya Tapas Bar in Copenhagen is inspired by the stormy bay between France and the northern part of Spain. Located close to Rådhuspladsen, Copenhagen's central main square, it serves a wide range of freshly prepared tapas varying from day to day, depending on the season, on a continually renewed menu. Biscaya Tapas Bar also serves other modern and traditional Spanish dishes, all prepared by the Spanish chef and full of Spanish flavour. Finally, Biscaya Tapas Bar is also a wine bar, with a selection featuring over 50 different Spanish vineyards.
Stavanger, Norway
“Nice food”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

An OK place to get tapas and spanish wine. Not fancy, but OK. I recommend picking your on dishes, so you'll get what you like.

Visited August 2012
Thank J.P.Hernes

Zurich, Switzerland
“Great tapas”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We needed a bite late. The tapas was excellent. Service good. Desert was average.

Visited July 2012
“Revolting”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This place is as far from tapas as you can get. To be honest I’m still not sure what exactly it was that we were served. We made the mistake of going for their 9 tapas special - a selection of their most popular dishes! I am still struggling to see what was special about it and how congealed meat in gravy and a few potatoes came to be their most popular item.

Their supposed 9 variations of tapas is actually 5 dishes but the unapologetic waiter told me that they count the starter platter (8 items of cheese, salami, something which they claimed was olive tapenade and deep fried bread) as 5 tapas. Yes I struggled with his calculations on that one too. The other 4 tapas dishes consisted of 4 pots of what looked suspiciously like two versions of microwaved frikadeller in gravy, some potatoes and a purée. Had I known how revolting this would all be I would have ordered another side of their canned tomato smeared on bread. And could we drink a decent bottle of red to get rid of the aftertaste? No, because they tried to serve us a bottle of wine which had obviously gone bad (and made no objections when we sent it back).

We left feeling hungry, disappointed and thoroughly cheated. This place is a tourist trap in the worst sense of the word.

• Visited July 2012
NYC
“Why go to an Argentine Restaurant in Copenhagen”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Ten of us showed up at the Biscaya at 7:30 PM and opened the Restaurant. The waiter did not act happy to see us, forget him, remember the food. Two ordered the Seafood Paella special (11 euro). Be aware that It was very fresh so they had to wait for it. Two had the steak and were happy, as were the two who ordered the Tapas special which all liked, and two ordered a la carte. Those ordering sangria have only fond memories of their meal. You get a ten percent discount on the food if you show proof that you stayed at the Ascot Hotel (see review). All in all a good value for expensive Copenhagen.

• Visited May 2012
Eduardo L, Manager at Biscaya Tapas Bar, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear J W,

Thank you for your kind words. I am very pleased that you and your friends had a good experience at Biscaya! I have talked to the waiter in question and told him to have an extra coffee on the house before opening the doors. :-)

Sincerely, Eduardo
Atlanta
“Good choice for Spanish Food”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I ate here on my last night in Copenhagen. The food was good. Nothing to rave about but it was definitely a nice place to eat. I was there on Sunday and had the Paella. It was good and I cleaned my plate, but it was not overly spiced and was a little light on chicken. All in all, I would eat here again.

One small note. There were only two women waiting the entire dining area so they were stretched very thin. They were trying their best to keep up but the restaurant should hire at least one more person to help out there. The wait was long for the check.

I rated the food two $$ since it was pretty averaged price for Copenhagen, but Copenhagen is so expensive so in another city it would be considered a $$$ rating.

• Visited April 2012