“WOW! Check your American Palate at the door”

Aamanns Deli & Take Away
Ranked #36 of 2,532 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner Oesterbro
Reviewed July 5, 2013

For a fantastic dining experience, this is the place. It is small and reservations are a requirement. If you are used to American, Italian, or French cuisine, you should not start with the menu. Honestly, given my prejudices and a diverse menu, I may not have ordered any of the courses on the five course fixed price menu. Foods that were unfamiliar or that I perceived as not going well together are presented there. However, we were coached during the Copenhagen food tour to just go with the recommended Danish cuisine. What a great call. Let the staff bring the food, let them do the wine pairings and you will have an outstanding, fresh ingredient meal from which you will retire quite satiated. When you think of potatoes three ways or shrimp soup with squid or cucumber sorbet, you may not be impressed. Believe me, the experience is on a different plane from the preconception. Having taken the Copenhagen Food Tour prior to this meal helped to put in perspective the new Danish cuisine. The food is part of the culture and the escape from the Colonel, the King and the Clown is so refreshing.

1  Thank Johnawc1981

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was here with about 30 others - they closed the restaurant for us for lunch recently. We had a number of amazing meals in this city but this was the standout for a number of reasons.

Authenticity - as a Canadian I'm in no position to certify Danish cuisine as authentic - but our tour guides were impressed and that's good enough for me. They served us dense, dark breads, butter (we think it had bacon drippings in it, so wonderfully salty), and a variety of spreads. I have included pics of the ones I enjoyed, but they included pickled herring, a whitefish veggie mixture, gravlax with cream, beef, chicken, egg.

They brought us a bunch of large bottles of beer - one for each of us. They ranged from dark to light and were apparently brewed themselves.

The Schnapps - also homemade. Included flavours like 'rye' and various herbal flavours and combos. It was completely indulgent.

Our group got increasingly loud and we had an amazing time - I think that Staff thought we were insane because of the singing and laughing... I'll never forget this meal. If I were to return to Copenhagen (and I hope to soon) - I would ensure that this place is on my itinerary.

1  Thank Singleselfies
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was delighted with the food at Aamanns.
The "old way" Danish smørrebrød with a modern twist...super.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Ate in the Deli next door and I can recommend this place for the quality of the ingredients and the care in which they present it. You only need three of the offerings between two people for a light lunch, but this is great quality.

1  Thank WithScruples
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We went to their deli and bought three sandwiches to go to eat in the park. They were so indecently good that we went right back and ordered three more to eat on the premises. The fishcake sandwich was my winner, my partner enjoyed the pork sandwich even more. The way they use rhubarb with pork and cheese is absolutely delightful. It's a bit on the dear side, but if you're thinking of trying some Danish smørrebrød while you're here, it's definitely worth your while. The whole area in Østerbro with the botanical gardens and 'potato rows' streets is lovely.

1  Thank Seminartraveller57