“Great hostel, nice prices”

Karlsruhe, Germany
“Great hostel, nice prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Although we only stayed two nights in Copenhagen and were not there on holidays, I really enjoyed the stay in Downtown Copnehagen. The rooms (or at least mine) are quite small (which is quite normal for hostels), but the common rooms and the bar are great! There are only few showers on each floor, but apparently it works. I would definitly book there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JeannayN
MaxiLennard, Manager at Copenhagen Downtown Hostel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hi there!!

Great!

Thanks for your comments!

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Clean rooms, good atmosphere, can keep to yourselves or meet friends in the bar. We stayed while the Copenhagen Jazz Festival was on and had a free stage out the front to enjoy. Consistent with Copenhagen prices!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pippa H
Hi Peeps,

Thank you for ur comments!

Guimaraes, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

When we arrived they told us we had to wait until 2pm so we asked if they could keep our luggage somewhere and they told us we could leave them on the lower floor (to where they don't actually have an elevator), but they didn't tell us that if we wanted to put on lockers we would have to pay for a key so we didn't know that beforehand and left the luggage on the floor like most people do, but nobody's controlling who goes there.
Then we went to the city centre until 2pm so we could check in.
When we went there for the check in they told us that we were going to stay in the 6th floor and we had to go up to the 5th floor by elevator and the from the 5th to the 6th by stairs because 6th floor is new and the elevator still doesn't get there. So we had to go upstairs carrying our luggage. I think that if the 6th floor still isn't ready, they should't use it yet.
I'm still wondering what reason made me wait until 2pm to check in because when I got up to the 6th floor and left my luggage in the room I noticed that the bathroom wasn't cleaned.
It was very hot in the room and a bit noisy. The music in the streets can be heard in the rooms.
The housekeepers entered the room several times while people were sleeping to check if they had to put new sheets in the beds and didn't apologize. I was awake and up and they acted as if I wasn't there. They Just didn't care

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PedroXS
MaxiLennard, Manager at Copenhagen Downtown Hostel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hi there,

I understand that the housekeepers should be more respectful towards people who tries to sleep but also they have to make sure that bed are ready when new people arrive, especially in dorm. I will tell them to be more aware for those.
The six floor has the best views in CPH and Its more than ready to host great guests. We can also give a hand with luggage if you ask for it ;-)
We hope you had a great time overall and look forward to see you again around.
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Average hostel for a ridiculous price. You even had to remove your own sheets at the end of the stay! It was difficult to interact with other hostel guests due to the awkward common space.

They offered pickup for a free walking tour and most of the staff were helpful, but impersonal. A single staff member at the reception was extremely rude and although I mentioned repeatedly that I required a locker, she sent me down to the basement with my heavy luggage and no key. When I entered the luggage room, the sign on the door stated that you needed to purchase the key upstairs. It was upsetting that the staff sent me downstairs knowing that I would have to go back upstairs to get the key carrying my heavy belongings.

I would not recommend this hostel if you are looking for a cosy hostel experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi there,

I have to disagree a bit with you as we have very professional and dedicated Staff towards guest.
There can be some misunderstood regarding the luggage room but I think it wasn't her intention to make you go back and forth.
We wish that you had a great experience in the best, funkiest and coolest Hostel in CPH.
and I'm sorry if you felt the other way. Don't hesitate to contact us for any enquiries.

Brampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Me and my mates stayed here for 3 nights and had the best time ever. out room was awesome. it was clean spacious enough for what it was and the pillows were really comfy. the bar was cheap enough (I heard denmark was expensive but we think otherwise) the pizzas they made were yum and they had live music on some nights which was cool. i think it was an awesome hostel and it was so close to everything. super stoked with it and would definitely stay there again :D

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
sobyse, Manager at Copenhagen Downtown Hostel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hi there!

Thank you for you comments!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Decently priced for Copenhagen. Rooms smallish but do the job. Wifi in main reception/bar area only unless you wish to purchase for your room. Bathrooms relatively clean. Unbeatable location and friendly and helpful staff

• Stayed June 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for your comments!!
WIFI is free in the rooms if you like us on facebook!! ;-)

Cheers!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

So I stayed at Danhostel for around 3 nights. It was generally quite basic and fairly clean. Not the best value for money, but Copenhagen is an expensive city, so there aren't many alternatives.
I strongly recommend earplugs if you value your sleep. Otherwise, location is top notch.

The reason because I gave it 1/5 is due to the following:
I arrived with the booking confirmation, stating that I'd paid in full and up front, but was reiterated by staff that in fact I'd only paid 10% of the booking. I asked if they could double check it as I had bank statements to prove that I'd paid in full. Again was told I needed to pay the remaining 90% of the booking, so had no choice. A moment after paying the amount was told they made a mistake and realised that I did pay already and that I would have to wait to be refunded till the following week. To cut a long story short, it took no less than 4 weeks to receive a short-change refund and next to no correspondence. So I was left to absorb their fees, further transaction fees and a lower than intended refund, because Danhostel made an error which I don't think I should pay for. Very very poor if things go wrong - a poor man's Ryan Air.

Will continue to pursue this of course.

So if they don't mess you around and you pay in cash, you may actually enjoy your stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Willy W
Hi W,

So sorry to hear this from you.
We are giving free earplugs at the reception. So those ones who think is a bit loud, come and pick them up from us.
We are Danhostel but hope you are not confusing us with any of the other ones.
Sometime can take a little while to make the refund but not that long.
Will investigate and sorry for the issues.