“Very Happy wih My Experience”
Review of Indian Taj Restaurant - CLOSED

Indian Taj Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I decided to give this place a try as it was near my hotel. I was on my own for dinner and did not feel like going too far. It was tucked into the middle of the less-than-busy block off HC Andersen Blvd. but it was large enough to be prominent. There was a certain allure to the place from the outside as it looked to have a very nice dining area. Indeed, when I stepped in, this was confirmed. I was seated promptly and the waiter came over quickly. The menu selections were decently plentiful. I started with the papadam which was accompanied by some tasty chutneys that ran the spectrum from hot (with chili oil) to a cool yogurt-based dip. There was also a sweet berry (?) chutney and mint chutney as well. I also tried the mulligatawny soup, which is a normal happenstance for me at an Indian place when this item is available. This one was particularly good as it was a bit richer and heartier than most. For my main, I got the Chili Chicken which was not quite as hot as I would have liked. However, what made up for the dulled kick was the presence of a delightful mango overtone that gave it a sweet and mildly spicy taste. I also ordered roti bread and basmati rice to go with it, which were nice complements. The prices were a bit on the expensive side but I thought the quality of the fare was worth it. The service was very good throughout. The dining room eventually got a bit noisy as the evening I was there it became rather busy. But it was nothing I could not live with. I would recommend giving it a try if you are in the area.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was glad to find such a good choice near the hotel I was staying at on a recent trip to Copenhagen. Menu was quite varied and as a vegan, the selection of vegetarian dishes was particularly appealing. I

2  Thank lysi1977
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Went there, the food an service was great. The expiriace was higher than our expectation. They have Bollywood menu that they stop serving at 17:30, but they fixed it even if we came at 19:00.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have been to several Indian restaurant in town, but have not found any better than this. I am no expert at Indian food, but compared to the others I have tried around this is the best. The price is average. If you take their set dinner you get to taste all around their food and different meat types. Definitely recommended.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I visited this restaurant 18 years ago and remembered it as bad. However, a lot of time has passed since then, I don't quite remember what I disliked and I have become a connoisseur of Indian food in the meantime so with quite a lot of good reviews on TripAdvisor in recent times, we decided to give it a go, having a craving for good Indian food.

We ordered poppadoms to begin with. They offered plain and spicy ones, the latter being more expensive. We ordered plain and received spicy ones which were slightly burnt. They were served with mint sauce, pickle and two cups of something that tasted like unspecified red berry marmalade rather than the mango chutney it was probably supposed to be. It felt like the classic trick of giving the customer the most expensive of two options when they did not specify which one they wanted – and serving the version most likely to make them thirsty. In fairness, we were only charged for the plain ones, but still…

We also ordered two Diet Cokes but then saw the waiter pour regular Coke from bottles into the glasses and bring them over. When he served them, we asked if it was really Diet Coke and not regular which he confirmed. We then tasted them and said they tasted of regular Coke and he said he was new and would check it. He then went back and poured Diet Coke into two glasses and came back saying he had checked them and they were right. Nothing like a waiter blatantly lying to you repeatedly!

For starters we ordered paneer chaat. What arrived seemed a bit like a cold aloo chaat with added tiny cubes of paneer. It was okay but not exactly impressive and certainly not what we had expected. But I am ready to accept this as chaat is such a generic term that can mean many things.

For mains my partner ordered a chicken saag while I ordered a chicken jalfrezi; to go with this, peshwari naan, tandoori roti and pilau rice.

What arrived was not a saag but a failed attempt at a palak. It tasted like a chicken stock cube with a bit of added water and chopped spinach. She ate most of the meat but the sauce was unappealing and unappetising, thus best left on the plate; the peshwari naan was a fairly good match, having no flavour whatsoever.

I fared somewhat better, at least. Granted, I did not get anything remotely like a jalfrezi but I must commend them on a rather good chicken and vegetable stroganoff – very creamy and a mild, rounded taste. This must be the first time I have been served something called jalfrezi which contained absolutely no trace of chilli!

The roti was well-cooked and so was the steamed rice. Admittedly, both of these are very easy to get right – and I was beyond being suprised at receiving steamed rice (which was not even on the menu) after having ordered pilau…

I have seen claims here of this being the best Indian food in Copenhagen. This simply cannot be true. This is the worst Indian I have had in the last ten years (and that is saying something!). In fact, I would be tempted to say that my "jalfrezi" was not even Indian at all.

Add to this the price: We paid DKK 718 for this disaster. This is outrageous, bordering on criminal. And they had the nerve to add 5% for accepting payment by foreign credit card. I have had much better Indian food in Copenhagen for half that price.

The service was mediocre at best and the decor quite over the top for my taste – but I am always happy to accept a place not looking the way I prefer as long as the food is good; sadly, the decor was the best part of this restaurant.

I strongly advise anyone against going to Indian Taj. Copenhagen has so many good restaurants and there is no reason to waste one's time and money on a place like this!

1  Thank jfallesen