“Expensive...but worth it!”

Kong Hans Kaelder
Ranked #25 of 2,738 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went to KHK for a treat. Friendly, engaged service (ask about the history of the building) and the a fabulous meal. Excellent bread, sublime appetizers and the main course did not disappoint. Wish we had room for dessert. Yes, its not cheap (especially the wine) but we felt the total experience was worth it.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I know Scandanavia is going to be expensive, and I expect the food to be too, especially a meal at McDonald's costing upwards of twenty US dollars. For an overnight stay in Copenhagen I have decided to stay cheap (somewhere closer to the train station) but eat well. The Hotel d'Angleterre just re-opened, but just out of my budget for accommodation for this trip. A 30 minute walk from the central train station I found myself back in the midst of the pedestrian shopping zone and the Nyhavn where I took a leisurely boat ride to explore the canals of the city.

The restaurant is immediate adjacent to the central shopping district, in a basement, with arched ceilings. I have dropped by earlier in the day to inquire about dress code, and having had a warm front blowing through the area that day the staff informed me of "in this weather? no dress code for sure".

The subway station is a very short walk from the restaurant, but having my hotel located by the train station, I found myself once again having to trek back after a day's worth of shopping. After I was given a very charming greeting by the hostess, a table by the kitchen with a view of the action, and a nice cocktail, I find myself enjoying both the view of the kitchen as well as the view of my menu, which although is short, has enough options for one to taste the different food group but also different styles of cooking.

The wine list is extensive, but as previous reviewers have mentioned, not cheap. My half bottle of chablis went upwards of 70 USD, but considering this is Scandanavia, the price is not that far away from a New York City michelin-starred restaurant. My bread plate is never empty (the savory bread option is delicious), my water and wine glasses were always filled. Service is very attentive but not intrusive.

The restaurant is small, but the tables are spread apart. I spent most of the evening watching the interaction of the kitchen staff and the restaurant staff. They seem to enjoy working there. The many amuse bouches were appreciated. My lobster first course was a special-of-the-day, presented by one of the chefs tableside. Good flavors, slightly heavy on the salt. The main course of turbot was cooked well, but slightly heavy on the salt side. The desert with chocolate and beet combination was a pleasant surprise.

My intend was to locate a Relais & Chateaux dining establishment in Copenhagen, and I found it. I wasn't intend to try out Noma as I was interested in more traditional cooking methods. Kong Hans Kaelder has given me one of my best restaurant experiences in Scandanavia, and with less salt, I think it would have been the perfect evening for me. Thumbs up to everybody working there.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The food and service were both technically good. But somehow the food just wasn't Wow. It didn't deliver flavour that made you want to eat the dish and come back for more. The amuse bouches were absolutely fabulous but the the rest of the meal was a real disappointment. The wine list is only for those with large wallets or business credit cards - most started at 2,000 DKK and went up from there. Given the other wonderful restaurants in Copenhagen, I'd give this one a miss.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I were celebrating her 70th birthday and we wanted something special. First we tried to get a table at Noma, the world best restaurant, but they do not have tables for two, strangely enough. Second best at Copenhagen is according to Michelin Guide Kong Hans kaelder. We entered a very nice basement restaurant, half empty and only occupied by male businessmen in dark suites. Not very romantic. The celler was very loud due to bad acoustics so we had to change table in order to get a more comfortable corner. Staff was serviceminded. We had the 5 dish menu and the wine suggestions to go with it. Unfortunately the menu looked better on paper than in reality. Overall the food was too salty, even the butter was salt matured. There were some very good dishes but also some bad ones. We especially remember the duck which was like chewing gum. The wine selection was very good but in the end too much alcohol for us. Finally, we found it as a whole very expensive considering that the food was not highest class.

1  Thank FredrikHenry
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The whole family went to Kong Hans to celebrate wife’s jubilee at work. 2 kids and 2 adults had recently tried the chief’s “stone age” recipes, but at the restaurant experience turned out to be a different one. It was luxury, classic and sublime in one mix.

One of the appetizers (quail egg) was presented or concealed between stones. Thus look out…
Starters for the adults, main course (ox tenderloin), Brunello and some glasses of white wine, dessert for the kids and coffee together with wine will add to approximate DKK 3-3.500 (above EUR 400).

We had a very interesting gastronomic experience still talked about by the kids (ox tenderloin). Hence if you can afford it, then an enjoying gourmet experience is coming to you.

4  Thank DanishModel