“Pricy, but worth every single penny (or kronor)”
Review of Era Ora

Era Ora
Ranked #83 of 2,532 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Christianshavn
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Went into this restaurant with some mixed feelings as a friend from Copenhagen described this as even better than Noma, but Tripadvisor placing it outside of the top50. We decided to go there on the basis of a tip from a friend and the fact the restaurant posseses a Michelin star.

First impression of the place is classy. Nothing to fancy, but classy nonetheless. You don't feel like you walked in into a freshly opened restaurant that wants to look more than it actually is.

The service was impressive! The waiter was extremely kind. Sure, thats his job. But he knew everything about the wines and the food. Sure thats his job too. But he did all that with a smile on his face as if it gave him pleasure to serve us. Now that is a big rarity in Copenhagen and made the already delicious and great food even better.

The food itself was as already mentioned delicious. We walked into the restaurant with an idea on what to expect and the food exceeded our expectations by far. Note that this is not a place where you go to get stuffed. This is a place where you enjoy some culinary masterpieces in an intimate atmosphere with some nice company (well, the last one is up to you).

Depending on what menu you chose the servings vary. We went for a dinner and had "stuzzichino" that was simple but delicious. Two rounds of appetizers (one with more focus on the sea and the other on meat). Two rounds of "primo" - which was two different types of pasta. One of them was probably close to the best dishes I have ever had. Main course was quail prepared in three ways. The missus had a dessert while I had a plate of cheeses and both were perfect in terms of matching the whole experience.

We were expecting that we'll pay a considerable amount of money for the dinner, however it was even a bit cheaper than we had imagined when we chose the location. As said, you don't go to Era Ora hoping you will snatch a good deal. You go to spoil your buds and to be treated like a valued guest. It is not somewhere where you would go every week or so, but for some special occasions, or just to maybe spoil yourself with some culinary wonders it is the perfect spot in Copenhagen.

And BTW, they are very flexible with arranging menus. When I called for reservation, they asked me several questions in terms of allergies and food preferences. Religion or vegetarianism should not be a problem, just call first.

HIGHLY reccomended and I will definitely return soon!

1  Thank couple1000

Reviewed August 12, 2012

A long time tradition in Copenhagen, still a fantastic experiece! Experience their fulkl menu and get indulges with 10 individually served staters, 23 pastas, main course, cheeses and desserts, all in the best of quality. Also, the wine list is the ultimate selection of Italian wines.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I went to Era Ora in October 2009, so this review is way overdue. I of course don't pretend that this review is a statement about the current level at Era Ora, but it's simply a review of the meal back then.

We had five courses, and the meal started out quite nice with a course of three small starters: Raw scallops filled with salmon eggs, a cherry tomato with pesto, and a piece of superbly cooked cod. Cod can easily become dry, but this was just super juicy. This course was fairly mild and elegant, but still very pleasant. It was probably my favourite of the night.

Next up was a pasta dish with chickpeas, pancetta, rosemary and a bit of chilli. It was pleasant enough, but not really anything special.

Then came the main course: Venison with borlotti bean puree, borlotti bean ratatouille, strips of carrot and squash, and a grilled onion. The meat was one of the tougher cuts. Personally, I prefer the finer cuts for venison, but that's just my personal preference. It was very tender, but just not as flavourful as I would have liked it to be (which it might have been with a finer cut). The beans were pleasant enough, but just tasted like beans – nothing else. So, all in all just not very interesting.

Our first dessert was a semolina cake with grape sorbet. The cake was completely devoid of any flavour. It seemed to be simply flour, sugar, butter and eggs – no vanilla, lemon, rose water, almonds, apples, or anything else that would have given it some kind of flavour. The sorbet was pleasant, but with that cake the dish itself was not really a success. It looked very pretty, though.

Our last dessert was my second favourite of the night: A small puff pastry "ravioli" filled with apples, on top of caramel. That combination worked very well. There were also an ice cream and some other elements on the plate, but I simply don't remember what it was (the ice cream was probably vanilla). I do remember that the white chocolate powder on there seemed a bit silly. It evaporated the minute I put it in my mouth, but that's how that type of powder is. I've had it in other restaurants as well, and my experience there was the same.

So, overall the food was good, but not great or amazing in any way. Everything was well cooked (especially the magnificent cod) and nothing was burned or undercooked. The problem with the food was that it simply lacked inspiration. A friend of mine had been to Era Ora and said exactly the same thing.

Overall, the dishes looked very nice, but the juices from the venison had run all over the plate, and the caramel for the last dessert had been smeared a little bit across the plate too. That is my only complaint about the presentation – everything else looked great.

The service was good, but nothing spectacular. Everybody were friendly and helpful, but there were two major problems: We seemed to be served by someone new for each course, and one waitress didn't speak any Danish. That's not a problem for me, but my dad doesn't speak English, so I had to tell him what was on the plate after she had left (and I didn't get all of what she said before she ran off). The other problem was that we waited way, way too long between every single dish.

The white wine, Villa Fidelia Sportoletti, was simply the best white wine I've ever had. We went to see their wine cellar, and it was both nicely presented and impressive in its stock. I'm not big on wine, but as far as I know Era Ora is a particularly good restaurant to go to in Copenhagen if you're a wine aficionado and not afraid to pay big bucks for it.

Value for money: As mentioned above, the food was good but not great. Five dishes were, if I'm not mistaken, 650 kroner per person (€87). That's not the most expensive meal in Copenhagen, but I just didn't feel that we had spectacular and flavourful food that was worth that kind of money.
A glass of white wine was 150 kroner (€20), but an entire bottle of that particular wine could be bought at retail for 180 kroner (€24). I even bought that wine at a special offer for 100 kroner (€13). The Danish taxes make everything in restaurants more expensive, but I had a glass of white wine at AOC (clearly my favourite restaurant in Copenhagen so far) that was very similar. That cost me 100 kroner (€13) for a glass, and a bottle would set you back 235 kroner (€31) in retail. That seems more reasonable.
I have been to around 15 Michelin star restaurants, and unfortunately Era Ora is in the bottom three. Other restaurants in Copenhagen like AOC, Kokkeriet, Herman, and Cofoco are definitely better, although Cofoco is not quite up to the standard of the other three (but it is also a lot cheaper).

A couple of months after our visit, I read a big review in one of the Danish national newspapers that basically said the same thing: The food was well-cooked, but just not spectacular or interesting.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Unusual combinations most often work but chef tries too hard to cram too much into every course. Why not simply blend three key ingredients instead of five or siz?
Service is timely and highly professional. We did not do the wine pairing and found that the hard liquor choices were very limited and no beer is offered.
The wine list looks thick upon presentation and turns out to be very lean on selection.

1  Thank yypo
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Michelin one star restaurant in picturesque location in Copenhagen (Chrisitanshavn). My wife and I had her birthday dinner at Era Ora. The 11 course tasting menu with accompanying basic wine package was uniiformly very good. Not excellent, not surprising, but uniform and very good. In my experience the Michelin star seems deserved, but not secured. The meal was just a little too traditional, and the wines good, but not wines we would inquire about for a wine cellar purchase. The service was superb. A Portugese waiter, who apologized for her Damish, spoke the Danish language fluently and knew everything worth knowing about the food. The sommelier was good, but somewhatt aloof. At 700 EUR with champagne for aperitifi and espresso one may wonder if it is value for money, even in Copenhagen. Personnally, we will go to one of the other Michelin star restaurants in Copenhagen next time.

1  Thank GranddanoisbasedinDC