“A first class restaurant without any flavour of pomposity”
Review of Noma - CLOSED

Noma
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Danish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Christianshavn
Melbourne, Australia
“A first class restaurant without any flavour of pomposity”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We dined at Noma last week at a great summer night. Sure, like other first class restaurants, we had amazing food that is full of flavour, experience, and positive challenges. Clean simple and spacious venue by the water. Flawless friendly service. Like other first class restaurant nothing is perfect. Here the coffee is interesting but flavour is compromised by a trying too hard concept. 20 courses that were timed very well. But what gives Noma the distinguishing edge is its attitude and personality as a place - direct, easy, knowledgable, and while working very hard to give you the unique experience not taking itself too seriously meaning not making you feel guilty if you don't have a PhD in food. We use computers although we don't know how they work and likewise we take food in perspective. We love to have great food experiences in many paces without being burdened with too much fine detail - just enjoy the roller coaster food ride, and Noma is perfect for that.

6 Thank Niv T

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Froheferien
“Once was enough”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have been looking forward to our dinner at Noma for quiet some time. As we really do enjoy food and are willing to travel for it we were ready for the unexpected.
While Noma certainly surprises and uses an interesting combination of unusual ingredients it doesn't quiet get there.
To start with I got annoyed by our head waiter who tried to sell us a bottle of champagne at all cost. Despite the fact that we told him at least five times that we were not interested he kept on suggesting that we should start with champagne.
The 10 appetizers were bite size and served in rapid succession, almost too fats to actually enjoy and experience them. Some, like Elk moss, were a bit too strange and actually didn't taste too well.
Our shortbread with rose peddles was good, but tasted slightly burned and we found a spider in one of them. We mentioned that to the waiter and he just shrugged it off with the comment that that was nature.
The main courses were almost al served in a broth, which gave it a fuller bouquet and was quiet nice.
As others mentioned the desserts were disappointing.
The wines I choose with the help of the waiter ( Muskadet= good, Saucere= very good, a Loire Red= disappointing) were pricy, even for Denmark.
Some of our party took the very expensive wine pairing and shared the view of others here that it was not worth the money.
All in all Noma fell short of our expectations. We recently ate at Alinea and Tru in Chicago and The Market in Paris and I would rather return there than to Noma.

5 Thank Froheferien
Singapore, Singapore
“one of the worst restaurants ever”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I arrived here to great fanfare...afterall this restaurant holds the mantle of "best restaurant in the world" according to the good people at Michelin. My business associates made the reservation a few months in advance and brought me here when I visited Copenhagen on business.

Having looked forward to the Noma experience for so long, i was really optimistic about the whole experience. The restaurant looked a bit stiff, but I was here for the food.

However, the food was just terrible. the chef possibly spent too much time focussing on being aesthetically pleasing and creative that he forgot that fundamentally, food, has to taste good. The food was just horrendous. Some of which I couldn't even swallow. Couple that with the outrageous prices and you can be sure i'll never come back. there are other better ways to splash that cash.

Never returning again.

26 Thank Jansen88
Orlando
“No more NOMA, please”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'm sorry that I feel compelled to write this review. I'm sorry because I am an avid foodie, restaurateur and a well-traveled citizen of the world. I specifically seek out new and interesting restaurants that set the bar for creativity and excellence. Unfortunately, NOMA represented none of this. Let me start by saying that our servers were excellent. They were well trained and precise in their delivery. The total failure of this dining experience began and ended with the kitchen. There is a phrase I use to coin chefs who have lost their culinary sole - I call it culinary arrogance. It happens when a chef reaches the point where they believe they can serve their own bathwater to their guests and expect them to not only like it, but worship their effort. This was the most arrogant display of poorly contrived dishes I have ever experienced. Here are a few tips for the chef: 1) Don't put anything on a dish that doesn't add to the culinary experience of the food. Piling inedible pine branches and clumps of sod on a plate that have no connectivity to the food is nonsensical, especially when the morsels of food accompanying these theatrics have little if any redeemable qualities. 2) Like all things in life, a great dining experience should have balance. This 22 course "meal" was like attending opera where the star never came to the stage. We were fed layer after layer of inconsequential bites that never led to a crescendo. We left feeling empty and robbed of a wonderful night. 3) Wine pairings should complement the meal. While organic wines are a nice novelty, your wine pairings were completely off target, especially what you served with the Turbot. I had to reorder the wine pairings just to make what little food of quality you served palatable. Based on my comments and the comments of others, you obviously need a new sommelier. My message to any serious foodie is that Copenhagen has a list of amazing restaurants, but this is not one of them. My message to anyone who is not a serious foodie, don't set your self up for this major disappointment. In fact, at least 1/2 dozen non-serious foodies warned me beforehand that they didn't enjoy the restaurant. For once, I should have listened to them.

45 Thank GourmetFoodie1
Orlando, Florida
“Enter at your own risk”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

If you enjoy dishes such as reindeer moss and onions with ant paste (yes bug ants) then this is your place. There were 20 of these dishes. We stopped after #17 which was after the first desert - sugared mash potatoes. There are much better restaurants in Copenhagen. Solerod Kro and Kokkereit to name just two.

The service was excellent