“Excellent food and experience but not The Best.”
Review of Noma

Noma
Ranked #15 of 2,532 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Christianshavn
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We arrived to Noma with high expectations since this restaurant has been chosen as the best restaurant in the world three times in a row. The service was excellent so as an experience it was great though it was mostly for the love of good food that we went to Noma.

The food was of different quality. No doubt that the ingredients and work behind the dishes was of high quality but there was a big difference in taste. Some dishes was so tasty and good while others almost didn't taste anything (e.g. the malt flatbread and juniper). The presentation of the food was also very different as the appetizers was presented in an innovated style while the "main courses" weren't so much. It also struck me the no dish was served warm. There were two dishes that were served lukewarm but not more than that. Since all the chefs were the ones serving and presenting the food to us it felt that no one was actually cooking the food, that it was all prepared in advance and just handed out to the guests. Of course I understand and are aware of that this kind of food and dishes needs to be prepared in advance since it contains so many steps to make but still, I didn't get the feeling of being served a piece of personal and newly made "handcraft" that I also think food is about.

All the dishes felt like they were very innovative, either in the presentation, taste or combination of ingredients but at times I also thought it was too complexed. Simple tastes can also be difficult to get "right". If you are a food critic or have exquisite taste buds you probably appreciate and like the food and combinations more than I did but I guess that most of Noma's customers are the same type of guests that we were, "ordinary people" who like and appreciate good food but are no experts in the subject - we can feel the difference between good and high quality wines but we are no sommeliers.

Overall, I think the appetizers were better than the main dishes, both in presentation and taste. I am happy that I have experienced Noma but with my taste buds and previous experiences from other Michelin starred restaurants I would say that Noma is Excellent but not The Best.

3  Thank Evelina S

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We dined here an evening in early March 2013. After our first very positive encounter with this novel luxury eatery back in 2004 it was a special excitement to return with all the developments and the hype building up since (we did not know about some recent negative reporting). Anyway, we enjoyed ourselves very much this time again although we were not as totally overwhelmed with the experience as perhaps hoped for. After settling into the very cosy rustic room where not much seems changed in the 9 years (no need to, - except I think the chairs are still only 95% comfortable!) we were offered a stream of interesting dishes pouring in; first a long, fast paced series of small experimental appetizers and starters, gradually more challenging to the palate, not all total delights, but all very interesting and worth having. This series was followed by a couple of more substantial, also elaborately presented dishes arriving at a slower pace; in our case the meal ending with some fine cheeses. The cod liver serving in the first section gets our award for the most brilliant and surprisingly delicious item, within an overall rather overwhelming variety of different tastes and sensory impressions. The amount of food was just right. From a gastronomic point of view I would say Noma is precisely at the level of the two Michelin stars it has, not more not less. I find Noma quite comparable in quantity, quality and whole approach to the Mugaritz in Spain also visited recently, which carries the same Michelin rating and is about same level on that Pellegino's list. An important difference to Mugaritz (and some other top places), though, we felt were the wines. We chose Noma’s recommended pairing but honestly did not quite understand or fully enjoy the selection. Five-six different white wines, most of which were given more intellectual justification and storytelling than they deserved from a smelling and tasting point of view, and one (1) red wine, which was elegant, but for us missing much in terms of the body and grounding that was needed after all the white drops. The sweet desert wine was a pleaser - but, really all in all the feeling was ‘so much wine and so little to sing about’. Anyway, the whole evening was definitely amazing, great fun, and a feast for the senses, and not something to forget or regret despite the high cost. But a moment of truth: Will I exploit the second reservation I was able to make a few weeks from now and go again with a different companion? Probably so, If the food and drink mastery had involved some more extreme tasting pleasures and fewer show offs (decision still pendng). As noted we did not know about the unfortunate experience for some recent visitors when we went. We did not encounter negative issues that we think can be associated with our visit ourselves. This rare bad luck of others would not influence the go/no go again decision.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have visit the Nome with some colleagues late in Janaury 2013, and 5 of us ( over 6 ) we had severe stomach and diarrea diseases rigth after the dinner. Food was quiete ordinary, and service basic , price up market not in line with the quality you are expecting from a ichelin star resaturant. Once more good french marketing...but poor quality food !

9  Thank Axelleo
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Booking: I sent a few waiting-list requests (ok, not a few, a lot) a couple of weeks before leaving for Copenhagen - they called me back on a Friday to inform me that there was a free table for lunch the next day. So, do not despair!

The restaurant is small, essential, Nordic-chic, but still very warm (despite the color scheme, the lack of table cloths...). Service is super attentive - there are almost as many staff as there are guests: the welcome is friendly but not intruding, quick, efficient and (clearly) well rehearsed.

Each course is introduced, explained and served by one of the chefs (often a different one - and there are many!), which adds to the personal touch and the appreciation of each dish.
In my opinion, some items were the quintessence of delight (the mussel? Incredible!), while some other called for an acquired taste (not sure I'd buy a box of those yeasty-caramelly things...), but if you're fascinated by culinary research and experimentation, you can't help but being wowed.

My favourite part of the whole experience was the understated element of playfulness in the dishes - the surprises, the discoveries... I don't want to reveal anything more, as anyone who gets a table deserves to find out what's in store for them.

3  Thank afs14
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I can see that there is no one saying anything negative about the ambiance, and the staff. I am pretty sure it is the best in the world.

Although some people are critiquing the food, ( not being explosive enough- which I can definatly see the point) however this was exactly what I was expecting from the experience that is why the food was absolutely magical.

Having been eaten in a number of molecular cooking :) , 3 star restaurants with explosive taste food ( which I also enjoy) the cleanness of the food was just amazing.

Every single ingredient in every dish was noticeable, subtle but fresh.

Amazing, worth every dollar.

1  Thank arctickoala