“Still quite amazing”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Christianshavn
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We dined here an evening in early March 2013. After our first very positive encounter with this novel luxury eatery back in 2004 it was a special excitement to return with all the developments and the hype building up since (we did not know about some recent negative reporting). Anyway, we enjoyed ourselves very much this time again although we were not as totally overwhelmed with the experience as perhaps hoped for. After settling into the very cosy rustic room where not much seems changed in the 9 years (no need to, - except I think the chairs are still only 95% comfortable!) we were offered a stream of interesting dishes pouring in; first a long, fast paced series of small experimental appetizers and starters, gradually more challenging to the palate, not all total delights, but all very interesting and worth having. This series was followed by a couple of more substantial, also elaborately presented dishes arriving at a slower pace; in our case the meal ending with some fine cheeses. The cod liver serving in the first section gets our award for the most brilliant and surprisingly delicious item, within an overall rather overwhelming variety of different tastes and sensory impressions. The amount of food was just right. From a gastronomic point of view I would say Noma is precisely at the level of the two Michelin stars it has, not more not less. I find Noma quite comparable in quantity, quality and whole approach to the Mugaritz in Spain also visited recently, which carries the same Michelin rating and is about same level on that Pellegino's list. An important difference to Mugaritz (and some other top places), though, we felt were the wines. We chose Noma’s recommended pairing but honestly did not quite understand or fully enjoy the selection. Five-six different white wines, most of which were given more intellectual justification and storytelling than they deserved from a smelling and tasting point of view, and one (1) red wine, which was elegant, but for us missing much in terms of the body and grounding that was needed after all the white drops. The sweet desert wine was a pleaser - but, really all in all the feeling was ‘so much wine and so little to sing about’. Anyway, the whole evening was definitely amazing, great fun, and a feast for the senses, and not something to forget or regret despite the high cost. But a moment of truth: Will I exploit the second reservation I was able to make a few weeks from now and go again with a different companion? Probably so, If the food and drink mastery had involved some more extreme tasting pleasures and fewer show offs (decision still pendng). As noted we did not know about the unfortunate experience for some recent visitors when we went. We did not encounter negative issues that we think can be associated with our visit ourselves. This rare bad luck of others would not influence the go/no go again decision.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have visit the Nome with some colleagues late in Janaury 2013, and 5 of us ( over 6 ) we had severe stomach and diarrea diseases rigth after the dinner. Food was quiete ordinary, and service basic , price up market not in line with the quality you are expecting from a ichelin star resaturant. Once more good french marketing...but poor quality food !

9  Thank Axelleo
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Booking: I sent a few waiting-list requests (ok, not a few, a lot) a couple of weeks before leaving for Copenhagen - they called me back on a Friday to inform me that there was a free table for lunch the next day. So, do not despair!

The restaurant is small, essential, Nordic-chic, but still very warm (despite the color scheme, the lack of table cloths...). Service is super attentive - there are almost as many staff as there are guests: the welcome is friendly but not intruding, quick, efficient and (clearly) well rehearsed.

Each course is introduced, explained and served by one of the chefs (often a different one - and there are many!), which adds to the personal touch and the appreciation of each dish.
In my opinion, some items were the quintessence of delight (the mussel? Incredible!), while some other called for an acquired taste (not sure I'd buy a box of those yeasty-caramelly things...), but if you're fascinated by culinary research and experimentation, you can't help but being wowed.

My favourite part of the whole experience was the understated element of playfulness in the dishes - the surprises, the discoveries... I don't want to reveal anything more, as anyone who gets a table deserves to find out what's in store for them.

3  Thank afs14
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I can see that there is no one saying anything negative about the ambiance, and the staff. I am pretty sure it is the best in the world.

Although some people are critiquing the food, ( not being explosive enough- which I can definatly see the point) however this was exactly what I was expecting from the experience that is why the food was absolutely magical.

Having been eaten in a number of molecular cooking :) , 3 star restaurants with explosive taste food ( which I also enjoy) the cleanness of the food was just amazing.

Every single ingredient in every dish was noticeable, subtle but fresh.

Amazing, worth every dollar.

1  Thank arctickoala
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Having flown to Copenhagen especially to eat at Noma, it is fair to say that we had certain (albeit high) expectations of the restaurant. The restaurant itself is simplistic yet stylish, with large wooden tables, fur covered seats and a semi open kitchen, viewable through large glass windows.

Upon entering, we were immediately greeted by a member of staff and shown to our table. There are only 12 tables in the restaurant, creating an intimate yet relaxed atmosphere. The staff are an incredible asset to the restaurant, many of them having travelled from abroad to work at Noma, and they all provided us with excellent service whilst remaining friendly and funny.

We chose the juice pairing menu to accompany our meal, a quirky yet delicious alternative to the wine pairing. Unlike other restaurants, the chef who made each course brings your food to the table, describing what it is, how they made it, and how to eat it. This was one of our favourite aspects of the evening, making the experience all the more fun and interactive.

Without spoiling too much, it is fair to say that the food itself is incredible, as expected. We left feeling full, yet not overly so, and whilst there were courses which were not to my taste, the presentation is outstanding and it is easy to see the effort that is required to present a meal of this standard.

We had emailed beforehand to request a tour of the kitchen which we thoroughly enjoyed. We were shown around by a chef from London who had been at Noma for 3 months, and as mentioned by so many other reviewers, the chefs were all incredibly friendly as we passed through the multiple kitchens. We were shown outside to the BBQs were many of the courses are cooked and then up to the private dining room and staff room. The staff room also houses Rene's research and development kitchen, where he designs new courses, which we were shown as part of the tour. If possible, I would definitely recommend doing this tour as it really made the evening all the more special.

2  Thank jstickler